Car runs but no electrical power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 05:12 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question Re: Car runs but no electrical power?

One study years ago identified poor electrical connections as the source of 20% of engine running issues. It's a good practice to try cleaning every visible connector on an older vehicle, even if you just unplug and plug in again to reestablish a "clean" fresh connection, in theory.. It's not something I would do to the high voltage connections on a hybrid unless I knew everything was disconnected and safe but would apply to the Audi example above. Sometimes connector are almost impossible to take apart. Those are best left as is unless you are troubleshooting an real problem with a proper wiring diagram.

Old 01-11-2021, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Car runs but no electrical power?

Thanks for the tip Alex, I have recently changed out my Tranny fluid and spark plugs. However, my FEH has the stock radio unit with no screen. Do you know if its possible to swap it out with a unit that does, I primarily care to have the battery read out, and to me it looks a lot nicer than the stock unit. Also am I able to use the 6 CD feature , or does that require an additional part, if possible. Thanks.

Old 01-11-2021, 02:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It probably is possible, if you have all the parts (and they work!) but I wouldn't begin to give you the details of how to do it. You would be replacing the entire center console, basically. It's a pretty big project! Maybe someone has done it, but I haven't. Anyone.....anyone?

For the data part: Think Different. Think ScanGauge!

https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/

You will not have to do any surgery on your center console, and for about $100-160 depending on the model you'll have more data than maybe you want.

The Sync/Nav system is cool, and it works, but ScanGauge actually collects more data. And whatever SYNC/NAV unit you get will not have the latest maps anymore, it looks like a lot of work to find everything, buy it and install it all, etc.. It has to be a completely separate computer because it also has Bluetooth that talks to the phone, accessible via buttons on the steering wheel on the Limited models, so it maybe is a lot of work to find everything and get it installed.

Hope this "helps" for what it's worth. I think if you found all the parts and took your time, you could probably do it, but you're going to be flying solo unless someone here has done it.

Last edited by AlexK; 01-11-2021 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:11 PM

When I talk about the Bluetooth and say the system is integrated (and thus probably has a special computer for it): On a SYNC/NAV car, you can program the system to communicate with several smart phones. When you start the car, it interrogates the local Bluetooth devices like your phone and downloads the contact list so you can make phone calls through the SYNC/NAV system. It will actually contact your phone inside the house if someone outside starts the car!, which can be pretty hilarious. The phone inside the house is talking to car, and if a call comes in, it tries to route the call to the **car**, so everyone is totally confused (unless you turn off Bluetooth on your phone!) The point is, it all has to go together, I'm pretty sure.

Last edited by AlexK; 01-11-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:33 PM
Enthusiast

You are indeed helpful, Alex! I will look more into this project, and consider a ScanGuage. I thought swapping out the radios might be a simple plug/play as the connections seem to be the same, however I forgot to take into consideration the size of the actual unit. The Nav Unit must be bigger than my stock radio I would think.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:15 PM

Here they are, NoNav and WithNav. It should work if you can find the parts but that might be a challenge.

No Nav:

With Nav:

The vent placement is the same, the whole bottom section has to be swapped out. It may be that the CD slot is in the same place. Or it could be off by a couple of millimeters, sometimes that's how it goes. If you want to try it, let us know how it goes.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:17 PM

Also notice with the SYNC/NAV you get the buttons on the right side of the steering wheel. The question for me is whether the harness is the same there? Maybe it's just a direct swap, maybe no.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:25 PM

Looking at the photos you've kind of "deconvinced" me. It looks like it will work and everything will fit if you have all the pieces below the air vents and the steering wheel bits (because who knows what happens if they are not there). If the harnesses are there and it's really "modular" then you've got a shot at it. From a manufacturing point of view it would make sense to include the wiring for everything and then just have modular construction. So good luck!

Last edited by AlexK; 01-11-2021 at 05:28 PM.