Compass ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Compass ??

The info for the "Message Center" mentions that it has a compass. However, mine doesn't seem to have that function.

No big loss... the Nav system has a compass. Which leads to my question. Is having the Nav system what causes the Message Center to not offer its compass function?

Old 09-20-2006, 10:41 AM
Default Re: Compass ??

The non-nav '05's and '06's do not have a compass. That wouldn't be a bad addition though.

Outside air temp and cabin temp too while they are at it.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:45 AM

Ah, OK. Yet another brochure error.

The brochure mentions a few times, "Message center with compass display".

Old 09-20-2006, 07:13 PM

Oh, I'm sure they mean that is is "compass ready".....all you have to do is buy a compass and install it on the dash.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tim K
Oh, I'm sure they mean that is is "compass ready".....all you have to do is buy a compass and install it on the dash.

No... you don't understand properly... you have to park the vehicle in a remote wooded environment for several years.... after the moss grows on it, you have your compass

Tragically its not "turn" compatible and you must always drive the vehicle thereafter in the same direction.

Just kidding. In my case I have the NAV so as long as the CD is in I have a compass.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:04 PM

Hmmmm... did I really have to say "just kidding" in that last post?

Old 09-20-2006, 09:47 PM
Technology Enthusiast
Cool Re: Compass ??

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Hmmmm... did I really have to say "just kidding" in that last post?
Not really but you should have mentioned that about every 30 days you'd have to go and start the car and let it run until the ICE shuts off to keep the NiMh battery pack from self discharging. And after a year or so you may need to bring a few gallons of gasoline.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:15 AM

BTW, I didn't mention this, but all the fuel mileage readouts from the "Message Center" are also apparently disabled when you have the Nav radio. I am not too sure why Ford did this. I would have welcomed the choice to have the "Message Center" display my fuel mileage, while the Nav radio displayed, well, the Nav maps.

Matter of fact, the "Message Center" has only two real possible displays. Miles-to-empty and battery-charge. I wish I had a choice of something else.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
BTW, I didn't mention this, but all the fuel mileage readouts from the "Message Center" are also apparently disabled when you have the Nav radio. I am not too sure why Ford did this. I would have welcomed the choice to have the "Message Center" display my fuel mileage, while the Nav radio displayed, well, the Nav maps.

Matter of fact, the "Message Center" has only two real possible displays. Miles-to-empty and battery-charge. I wish I had a choice of something else.
Interesting.... MTE I have... I've never seen a Battery Charge indication on mine.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:38 AM

Just to beat a dead horse.... I just found this...
New for 2006 Ford Escape
Compass added to message center
• All audio systems MP3 & satillite radio compatibile
• Tire pressure monitoring system

Quick Reply: Compass ??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands