Completed 100,000km service 05 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Completed 100,000km service 05 FEH

Pirates, all of them. Did you confront them with their own lack of knowledge when they were telling you that they had to use that "back flush" machine?

Several problems with that - You NEVER flush a system backwards, it will just blow everything FROM the filter gallery back into the rest of the transmission. BAD IDEA. Second... only 12l? Maybe the CVT is smaller than a normal transmission, but a normal unit will need about 18-20l for a full replacement - And there isn't any "special" connection they use, they are supposed to just unhook the cooler lines from the front at the radiator and let it push itself clear of the old fluid, while fresh drains in. But that can sometimes use MORE fluid than a dry-change. BTW: A normal drop-the-pan-in-the-driveway fluid and filter change is easy for the weekend mechanic, and you won't drain all the fluid from the rest of the system... That is why a normal trans change is only 5-6l of juice. And even if you use the machine... You STILL need to drop the pan and change the filter, losing another 5-6l of fluid!

Last edited by Geordi; 07-02-2010 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Oops - edited wrong post!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:42 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
Honest dealer employee. No where in the Workshop Manuals says to change the eCVT transmission fluid. Some here do it and even change from the factory fluid. That may be voiding their warranty so I stick with manual and don't change it.

GaryG
Workshop manual section 307-01B-4 " Transmission fluid drain and fill". Nothing wrong with drain and refills. Use Mercon XT-2-QDX fluid and pipe sealant for the drain and fill plugs. Ford recommended the service so I did it myself to save a few $$. Always follow shop procedures and fluid types and capacities, if you don't your pretty much a dumb *** for not doing so. If your not sure have it serviced.

Originally Posted by Geordi
Pirates, all of them. Did you confront them with their own lack of knowledge when they were telling you that they had to use that "back flush" machine?

Several problems with that - You NEVER flush a system backwards, it will just blow everything FROM the filter gallery back into the rest of the transmission. BAD IDEA. Second... only 12l? Maybe the CVT is smaller than a normal transmission, but a normal unit will need about 18-20l for a full replacement - And there isn't any "special" connection they use, they are supposed to just unhook the cooler lines from the front at the radiator and let it push itself clear of the old fluid, while fresh drains in. But that can sometimes use MORE fluid than a dry-change. BTW: A normal drop-the-pan-in-the-driveway fluid and filter change is easy for the weekend mechanic, and you won't drain all the fluid from the rest of the system... That is why a normal trans change is only 5-6l of juice. And even if you use the machine... You STILL need to drop the pan and change the filter, losing another 5-6l of fluid!
The safest and easy way it to drain and refill.

Last edited by peelman; 07-02-2010 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Doh... got my vehicles mixed up
Old 07-02-2010, 06:44 AM
Enthusiast

Peelman - You mean that there is an actual transmission drain plug on the FEH??? (I haven't looked yet, obviously) This is amazing if true... I mean, how can we expect the auto manufacturers to make any money if they have started including that drain plug on every vehicle. It costs 5 whole cents to implement! </sarcasm_at_GM's_stupidity_back_in_the_day>

Its about time the US manufacturers figured out what the Euro and Asian car makers have known for years. Draining a pan with a plug is MUCH easier and better for the environment than not having a plug.

One clarification tho on your post - You said you change the trans twice between oil changes? How often are you changing the trans fluid? It is good for at least 3-4 oil change intervals in most cases, 50k miles is a safe number unless there is a leak or some other big event on the trans. Changing it much more often than that is just wasting money for no benefit.

Last edited by Geordi; 07-02-2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geordi
Peelman - You mean that there is an actual transmission drain plug on the FEH??? (I haven't looked yet, obviously) This is amazing if true... I mean, how can we expect the auto manufacturers to make any money if they have started including that drain plug on every vehicle. It costs 5 whole cents to implement! </sarcasm_at_GM's_stupidity_back_in_the_day>

Its about time the US manufacturers figured out what the Euro and Asian car makers have known for years. Draining a pan with a plug is MUCH easier and better for the environment than not having a plug.

One clarification tho on your post - You said you change the trans twice between oil changes? How often are you changing the trans fluid? It is good for at least 3-4 oil change intervals in most cases, 50k miles is a safe number unless there is a leak or some other big event on the trans. Changing it much more often than that is just wasting money for no benefit.
Hey Geordi. Yes there is a fill and drain 10mm hex drain and fill plug. You have to remove a couple of shields to see this area. I also changed out both the hybrid/ motor coolant all located behind the same cover. SORRY that was my Altima that I changed 2Xs. FEH change once.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by peelman
Workshop manual section 307-01B-4 " Transmission fluid drain and fill". Nothing wrong with drain and refills. Use Mercon XT-2-QDX fluid and pipe sealant for the drain and fill plugs. Ford recommended the service so I did it myself to save a few $$. Always follow shop procedures and fluid types and capacities, if you don't your pretty much a dumb *** for not doing so. If your not sure have it serviced.

The safest and easy way it to drain and refill.
Can you quote where Ford recommended the service? Don't give us any dealer BS!

GaryG

Old 07-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
Can you quote where Ford recommended the service? Don't give us any dealer BS!

GaryG
My opening post I mentioned that this is what Ford service recommended. Your reply that I posted to in regards to drain and fill is from the actual Ford workshop manual with the page location. I can see that your very knowledgeable, and I can appreciate the assistance you offer, but this is a decision I decided myself. Thanks for your replies and I hope I can continue to receive your insight in the future.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Imported from Detroit

My opening post I mentioned that this is what Ford service recommended. Your reply that I posted to in regards to drain and fill is from the actual Ford workshop manual with the page location. I can see that your very knowledgeable, and I can appreciate the assistance you offer, but this is a decision I decided myself. Thanks for your replies and I hope I can continue to receive your insight in the future.
From the '09 FEH Workshop Manual, Drain and refill procedure: S9K71B05.pdf

Old 07-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wptski
From the '09 FEH Workshop Manual, Drain and refill procedure: Attachment 1476
Same as 05 FEH procedure, but I guess Ford changed the fluid type or just the name. Thanks for posting. Hope this info helps others.

Last edited by peelman; 07-02-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:36 PM

Now that we have that out of the way what year FEH do you have? The reason for me asking is prior to the '08 FEH Ford still had no maintenance requirements for the eCVT Mercon XT-2-QDX fluid but the new Mercon LV in my '09 is a much better lifetime ATF. I don't think the two fluids can be interchanged but I don't see why not.

"He reminded listeners that Ford's older Mercon spec has been replaced with Mercon V, and any remaining Mercon licenses will expire by June 30. Current and older models that recommend Mercon should be serviced with licensed Mercon V products now.
"

Mercon LV is something else -- a forward-looking fluid designed to deliver key performance benefits for 2008 models and beyond, he said. It is intended to coexist with Mercon V going forward, and the two are not interchangeable.

"Mercon LV, Ved explained last week in an interview with Lube Report, offers stable frictional performance, potential fuel economy benefits, improved anti-shudder performance and anti-foaming/aeration performance, and greater oxidation stability in step-type transmissions.

Licensing for Mercon LV -- the LV stands for "low viscosity," not 55 -- begins July 1, and the fluid will be used as factory fill for 2008 models such as the Ford Focus when they roll off the assembly line this year. Ford wants it ready for the service-fill market at the same time."
http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_artic....cfm?x=b11,0,w

This article is old and our eCVT is not the standard transmission. It has no bands, belts, converters, or clutches except for the one-way clutch. If I was ever going to change my ATF in my '05 FEH, I would research to see if Ford has since allowed the use of Mercon LV in it and use that.

GaryG

Old 07-02-2010, 02:14 PM

Don't VOID YOUR WARRANTY!

"Automatic transmission fluids have specific viscosities, friction coefficients, and additives. ATFs are engineered to work with the design of specific automatic transmissions. They are not all the same. Moreover, if your vehicle is still under warranty, using a fluid that is not approved by the vehicle manufacturer will void the transmission warranty.
"

"Mercon LV—the latest Ford ATF, it is factory fill in 2008 and later Fords. The LV stands for "low viscosity." It is a fully synthetic ATF. It is not compatible with earlier Mercon fluids, so it should neither be mixed with Mercon or Mercon V used to replace those fluids. It is not compatible with any other fluid, either."
http://www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/s...=3578&CATID=21

GaryG

Quick Reply: Completed 100,000km service 05 FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands