Completely removing/installing new receiver

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 06:18 AM
Enthusiast
Default Completely removing/installing new receiver

Hi,

Brand new to hybrids as my wife and I just purchased our 2006 FEH. Loving the SUV so far!

My wife primarily drives the car and she is wanting to use bluetooth, her iPod, and satellite radio. I am having trouble finding what receiver I could purchase to replace the stock 6 disc CD changer that is currently installed. The unit DOES NOT have the navigation system in it.

Crutchfield told me it was impossible to replace the stock 6 disc changer with anything because it (the stock unit) controls the hybrid's information regarding the electric motor, the MPGs we get, etc. This didn't sound quite right but they said I would do damage to the vehicle by replacing the head unit.

Can anyone share their experiences/thoughts on this and whether or not this is correct? I've never heard of a radio/CD changer controlling anything other than the volume coming out of the speakers.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Completely removing/installing new receiver

Modern day cars have a built in "network", datalink, wherein all electronic components, "body electronics", "talk". That may well include the OEM radio/cd player. The radio control panel may be a simple pushbutton/display set with the entire radio functionality located elsewhere, in the CD player for instance, with the communication/control between the two parts/components multiplexed over the datalink network.

Last edited by wwest; 07-12-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kjhawkeye1
Hi,

Brand new to hybrids as my wife and I just purchased our 2006 FEH. Loving the SUV so far!

My wife primarily drives the car and she is wanting to use bluetooth, her iPod, and satellite radio. I am having trouble finding what receiver I could purchase to replace the stock 6 disc CD changer that is currently installed. The unit DOES NOT have the navigation system in it.

Crutchfield told me it was impossible to replace the stock 6 disc changer with anything because it (the stock unit) controls the hybrid's information regarding the electric motor, the MPGs we get, etc. This didn't sound quite right but they said I would do damage to the vehicle by replacing the head unit.

Can anyone share their experiences/thoughts on this and whether or not this is correct? I've never heard of a radio/CD changer controlling anything other than the volume coming out of the speakers.

Thank you in advance for any help.
No, absolutely false. You can install any aftermarket radio without messing anything up. Lots of people have installed upgraded navigation radios in the 2005-2007 Escape Hybrids.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FjordHybrid
No, absolutely false. You can install any aftermarket radio without messing anything up. Lots of people have installed upgraded navigation radios in the 2005-2007 Escape Hybrids.

If anyone has installed these units, I'd like to hear which unit they installed and if they noticed anything different at all.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Name:  awdengagedus233.jpg
Views: 2333
Size:  107.4 KB
This is a Kenwood DNX7100 unit via 2007 era. It replaced the old "Mach" unit that came with the vehicle. Significant improvement. One can even add overhead drop down display without any issues:
Name:  JohnMortonoverheaddisplay2.jpg
Views: 2253
Size:  48.0 KB