Dramatic MPG drop recently, common causes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Dramatic MPG drop recently, common causes?

There is no scientific proof such cause and effect exists.
Sorry but there is. Mythbuster did it with a car. Take a golf ball plain without holes , it will not go as far as one with holes. Before I saw that I was sceptical also.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Quebec
Sorry but there is. Mythbuster did it with a car. Take a golf ball plain without holes , it will not go as far as one with holes. Before I saw that I was sceptical also.
Apparently you didn't see the entire episode. The dirty car did no better or worse. Its the shape of the golfball with the little dents that makes a difference, just like a shark skin surface makes it faster in water.
Neither waxing nor dirtying up your car will have any difference according to the same Mythbusters episode, but covering a car with a golfball skin does.
Completely different thing though.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by agunther
Apparently you didn't see the entire episode. The dirty car did no better or worse. Its the shape of the golfball with the little dents that makes a difference, just like a shark skin surface makes it faster in water.
Neither waxing nor dirtying up your car will have any difference according to the same Mythbusters episode, but covering a car with a golfball skin does.
Completely different thing though.
The theory that a smooth golf ball travels less of a distance than dimpled golf ball was one issue and the other was if you put dimples on a car would it get better gas mileage at a certain speed test. The methbusters episode proved that it did.

My claim had nothing to do with adding dimples, but waxing the FEH made it even smoother and I seen a drop in my average MPG. My classification as a hypermiler is an Expert and about to turn Elite status comparing to the lowest as not rated to a Skilled hypermiler. Hypermilers are drivers who exceed the combined EPA rating of their vehicle's lifetime average MPG. None of the Mythbusters are hypermilers and that show was to prove a smooth vehicle would get worst MPG than one that had dimples and not smooth.

What I claim goes with the basic theory that if you wax the FEH and make it smoother, you will reduce the MPG. I've known this since 2006 after never seeing an increase in MPG after waxing my '05 FEH. At that time, I didn't know waxing was actually reducing my MPG, but I proved it last year to myself in my mileage log here:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?pa...9&viewcar=2612

Scroll down to my 11/12/09 tank and you can see the decrease in MPG starting with that tank after a wax job I got on 11/5/09. I am a professional hypermiler by hobby, not by accident. In other words, I know what improves MPG and I know what reduces MPG within minutes while driving.

The Mythbuster episode had a theory that was related to my claim. You have no idea what that theory is or was. Quebec was right on!

GaryG

Last edited by GaryG; 01-12-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My car is dirty and does not have the "waxed" look. It is getting 4 MPG less than 8 weeks ago when it received its last wax job. Theory does not hold water nor meet any criteria for proof. No evidence dirt piles on the vehicle in a dimpled pattern. Golf ***** are shaped different than the FEH and travel faster than the 23 mph average that is frequently posted here.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Billyk
My car is dirty and does not have the "waxed" look. It is getting 4 MPG less than 8 weeks ago when it received its last wax job. Theory does not hold water nor meet any criteria for proof. No evidence dirt piles on the vehicle in a dimpled pattern. Golf ***** are shaped different than the FEH and travel faster than the 23 mph average that is frequently posted here.
Sorry Billy, I have never view you as a mileage expert and never will. The things you try to associate me with I never claimed. Now, where the hell is that post you said you would link me to about a 15mpg drop in 35F weather?

GaryG

Old 01-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There you go again, blasting others who challenge your posts. The 15 mpg loss with 35F was posted January 2010. You never stated whether it was during the warmup or during a one day average which I infer is true.

I never stated I was a hypermiler expert. You are.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
Sorry Billy, I have never view you as a mileage expert and never will. The things you try to associate me with I never claimed. Now, where the hell is that post you said you would link me to about a 15mpg drop in 35F weather?

GaryG
People who seem to try every kind of which way to work into every post they can that they are a Classified Expert, won some kind of award, etc., etc. tend to draw flack on questionable statements. Just lighten up on the bragging, it just irritates people. Post #13 is a perfect example.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
People who seem to try every kind of which way to work into every post they can that they are a Classified Expert, won some kind of award, etc., etc. tend to draw flack on questionable statements. Just lighten up on the bragging, it just irritates people. Post #13 is a perfect example.
Excuse me Bill, I got the flack before posting my qualifications to a new poster with only 11 post here. He had treated Quebec with disrespect like Billy was doing with me for no reason.

I still could not find the January 2010 post that Billy tried to flame me with, anyone else? A link as requested was all I ask him to provide.

GaryG

Last edited by GaryG; 01-13-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
Excuse me Bill, I got the flack before posting my qualifications to a new poster with only 11 post here. He had treated Quebec with disrespect like Billy was doing with me for no reason.

I still could not find the January 2010 post that Billy tried to flame me with, anyone else? A link as requested was all I ask him to provide.

GaryG
Don't rate knowledge by post count.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
Don't rate knowledge by post count.
Do you know you are not making any sense? Bill, get to a doctor, I mean that as having been a paramedic.

GaryG

Quick Reply: Dramatic MPG drop recently, common causes?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands