Emergency generator.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default Solar Power Generator for Emergency

For emergency purposes, you should use the solar power generator. I think it is effective to you. You should try it.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:39 AM
Feral Engineer
Default Re: Solar Power Generator for Emergency

Originally Posted by dextercath96
For emergency purposes, you should use the solar power generator. I think it is effective to you. You should try it.
I think you are a spammer

Old 06-04-2021, 05:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Emergency generator.

I have 2 05 escape hybrids. I want to see if i got this right. If i robbed the hv battery and the 12v battery the dc to dc power inverter used the reservoir and the electric water pump to keep it cool and hooked up a generator to charge the 12v battery and rigged up the hv jump start button and all the correct parts so the 12v would tend the HV battey and hooked up a low voltage switch to monitor the hv and kick the generator on when needed to tend the system and bought a true sin inverter i could run my camp fairly efficiently with addition of a solar battery tender to tend the 12v battery as well as the generator? The poor little 12v battery would be the true work horse of the system would i need deep cycle or would a regular car battery surffice? And also would it be hard to find a dc to ac inverter that would change the 330dc to 110ac and be rated 5000watt ? If im off the mark with this idea please somebody tell me where i went wrong

Old 06-04-2021, 05:40 PM
Enthusiast

I have 2 05 escape hybrids. I want to see if i got this right. If i robbed the hv battery and the 12v battery the dc to dc power inverter used the reservoir and the electric water pump to keep it cool and hooked up a generator to charge the 12v battery and rigged up the hv jump start button and all the correct parts so the 12v would tend the HV battey and hooked up a low voltage switch to monitor the hv and kick the generator on when needed to tend the system and bought a true sin inverter i could run my camp fairly efficiently with addition of a solar battery tender to tend the 12v battery as well as the generator? The poor little 12v battery would be the true work horse of the system would i need deep cycle or would a regular car battery surffice? And also would it be hard to find a dc to ac inverter that would change the 330dc to 110ac and be rated 5000watt ? If im off the mark with this idea please somebody tell me where i went wrong. Thank you sincerly, "Not Ben Frankiln"

Old 06-04-2021, 07:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That was very funny and we wish you luck. You might have better luck and less heartache / more beer money selling one of the '05s at the used car lot down by the railroad tracks and picking up a good generator at Tractor Supply. Don't overextend yourself: high voltage is a tricky thing. And if you claim you were unemployed and had to camp out due to COVID, you can still apply for benefits until September 4th, which will pay for the generator.

Last edited by AlexK; 06-04-2021 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:33 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlexK
That was very funny and we wish you luck. You might have better luck and less heartache / more beer money selling one of the '05s at the used car lot down by the railroad tracks and picking up a good generator at Tractor Supply. Don't overextend yourself: high voltage is a tricky thing. And if you claim you were unemployed and had to camp out due to COVID, you can still apply for benefits until September 4th, which will pay for the generator.
well wise guy cant a person have a glimmer of genius and come up with a original idea on there own with out getting shot down by a naysayer? All i need is a cheap small generator to tend the 12v battery and a lowvoltage swithch and the proper inverter to feed the camp continuously its surely not that complicated all the other parts are on hand and much cheaper than the battery bank id need to run the ac refrigerator and other necessities this summer and i aint looking to listen to a generator all day long! Maybe your not mechanically inclined and maybe you cant match witts with a fifth grader! But i am most definitely not unemployed you stuck up city slicker here in maine we learn to do for ones self! So as a self employed contractor im gonna go ahead and put this together cause my hot tub needs power as well as my ac and you can go back to your hair dressing or what ever it is you do. When i get it together ill post what the total cost was of the project i bet its under 300 and i bet the hv battery works well once its fully charged instead of always at 50% or so. On a final note watch who you disrespect and poke fun at it may be the guy that is standing next to you at Starbucks or she may be your operating roon nurse and they may just leave something extra in your chest so be nice or i wont be

Old 06-05-2021, 03:44 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wired
well wise guy cant a person have a glimmer of genius and come up with a original idea on there own with out getting shot down by a naysayer? All i need is a cheap small generator to tend the 12v battery and a lowvoltage swithch and the proper inverter to feed the camp continuously its surely not that complicated all the other parts are on hand and much cheaper than the battery bank id need to run the ac refrigerator and other necessities this summer and i aint looking to listen to a generator all day long! Maybe your not mechanically inclined and maybe you cant match witts with a fifth grader! But i am most definitely not unemployed you stuck up city slicker here in maine we learn to do for ones self! So as a self employed contractor im gonna go ahead and put this together cause my hot tub needs power as well as my ac and you can go back to your hair dressing or what ever it is you do. When i get it together ill post what the total cost was of the project i bet its under 300 and i bet the hv battery works well once its fully charged instead of always at 50% or so. On a final note watch who you disrespect and poke fun at it may be the guy that is standing next to you at Starbucks or she may be your operating roon nurse and they may just leave something extra in your chest so be nice or i wont be
and on a final note the traction motor is 70 hp assist so 1 horse is 743 watts! The battery can handle a draw of 51000 watt draw temporarily and a constant draw of 14000watts so do the math wise guy

Old 06-05-2021, 04:46 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You're too pissed at this. The battery is poor storage, not a lot of AH in there in current form. Yea it's high voltage (wwwwatts) but still. LiFEPO4's would run circles around it. You won't need cooling because you're not instant charging/discharging like the car. Either way the pack is configured for lots of current for short times. You need little current for a long time. If you really wanted to be cheap, re-configure the cells to something reasonable that you'll be able to charge off solar without HV. This is what people actually do with the packs when re-purposing. All the HV means right now is lots of conversion loss and heat.

BTW, the jump start doesn't charge enough and you need some other charger. It literally turbocharges but only to some low SOC to start the car.

Unfortunately this means you'll need to build it and can't just pull it in/out of the car. You will probably need a new BMS as the in car one is a black box. I think you can get it done under $300 but the idea of making the car work and dumping it for 3-4k then buying 500w of panels, some nice light LiFE and other related equipment does make more sense. The nissan leaf batteries are good and a better pack to get, especially as a whole pack.

I have this idea too of using the whole car as the generator and adding another inverter that isn't limited to 150w. There are some more posts about it here if you search. Had other issues to solve so I stopped researching.

Old 06-05-2021, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Wired
Well, "Not Ben Franklin" I'm sorry if you were offended but you were a 1st time poster who named himself after a glossy techno-nerd magazine and wrote a huge run-on sentence that sounded like a deliberate troll attempt to make fun of the other people who had contributed to this thread in the past. It sounded to me like you were just trying to mock people and waste their time, and it was a double-post, also. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and not a city-slicker, although I have lived in a couple of big cities, and I've also seen a lot of troll posts on the Internet in my time, so cut me some slack when I thought you were just typing smack to sound deliberately ridiculous. Because at first glance, you did.

There are a few problems with your scheme, most of which ShadyEscape mentions. Yes it can supply 14,000 watts briefly, which sounds like a lot, but as SE says, not for very long. These packs are not meant to push the car very far before they need tending by the motor/generator in the transaxle and if you did push/pull a lot of current through them without the Ford computer doing its monitoring and also the cooling, I think you'd be disappointed. Also, SE thinks the cooling wouldn't be an issue but you say you want this to run continuously during the summer and battery temperatures over 131 degrees F destroy the cells, so you would at least need some kind of system to monitor the temperatures if they got too high. Ford itself disallows EV mode over 100 degrees F to avoid damaging the batteries, so they were not designed to handle both high current and high (or low) temperatures. The optimum pack temperature is 82 degrees F and that's why so many people on this forum worry about the condition of their AC systems and the fans that cool the battery box.

In other words, the whole system was engineered together to accomplish a specific set of tasks and if you try to dismantle it and change everything about it, you're in completely uncharted waters.

Finally he's right about the jump start system also - it was meant to be used in an emergency, when the HV battery had gone below 300V because the owner left it sitting too long and the computer wouldn't start the car. In those cases people usually have to use it several times in a row just to get the HV battery back to the point where it will kick over the traction motor enough to start the ICE. It's not a very high-current system and they didn't build it to be used "on a regular basis."

Anyway, there may be better/different EV car packs for this task. I think it would be sad to tear one of these units apart and possibly destroy it for something that only has an outside chance of working well enough. It really might be better for you to charge it and sell one of the cars so at least the battery will go to someone who needs one, and pay you enough to buy something better that will work.

I won't tell you not to do it - it's your car, and your battery, money and time. And you don't have to threaten people, man. You sounded like you were just busting in here without introducing yourself and typing up a totally off-the-wall nonsense post, then duplicating it, to troll the place. Take care and peace out.

Last edited by AlexK; 06-05-2021 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:05 AM

Finally, you seem to think that charging the HV battery to near 100% SoC and keeping it there would be a good thing but Ford doesn't do that for a reason. The FORScan battery balance function does charge the battery to a high SoC but then it discharges to attempt to balance the pack. I'm sure SKeith, if he chooses to talk about it here, has a good explanation of why in terms of the battery chemistry.

Last edited by AlexK; 06-05-2021 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Emergency generator.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands