Escape keyless entry keypad

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Escape keyless entry keypad

My other car is a car is a Ford, but it has an aftermarket wireless keylock, so I'd need to carry 2 fobs.

Jay

Old 10-25-2006, 03:59 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1

One key fob should NEVER open two cars!

-John
Then please tell me why this works for my brother with his F-150 and his wifes Ranger.

Also, having only the origianal two transmitters for my own vehicle, if I use my normal key fob when I'm away from home, your explanation would seem to indicate that my 2nd transmitter (which is still at home) should no longer function.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Thegreatescape
Then please tell me why this works for my brother with his F-150 and his wifes Ranger.

Also, having only the origianal two transmitters for my own vehicle, if I use my normal key fob when I'm away from home, your explanation would seem to indicate that my 2nd transmitter (which is still at home) should no longer function.
You are correct. As far as I know if you program the car to recognize it, you can use one FOB on two cars.

If you have one of the really cheap alarms you can get this feature for free without the programming. When I was at UoM if I turned off the alarm on my ZX2 I would always hear another car in the lot also disarm its alarm as well. Opps.

I'm not convinced the keyfobs are that complex really. After all the door keys aren't. My father once got into an F-150 after unlocking the door, thinking it was his. But for some reason his key wouldn't work in the ignition.... then he noticed something hanging from the rearview mirror that wasn't his and realized.... opps... wrong truck, but his key worked fine on the door.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Thegreatescape

What a mess if this where the case at dealerships, car rental companies etc. There is a caution about programming the FOB's, but if you want it to work with all of your vehicles, why not?

I was at the parts department Monday and a poor looking family came in to buy an extra FOB for their daughter's used car they just bought. The parts man said it would be $45 for the FOB, but they had to check with service for the cost to program it.

I jump in and ask if they had the owner's manual or most of the time the new FOB's come with instructions, and they could program the FOB real easy. The stupid parts man still kept on that the service department should do it. The father looked over at me with a smile, and told the parts man he would program the damm thing.

My daughter just bought a '07 Civic EX, does anyone know if you can get a keypad entry for that vehicle. She locks herself out of her car all the time at the beach.

GaryG

Old 10-26-2006, 05:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Key Fobs work on frequencies (which we all already know...) So when you program your vehicle to accept a new FOB, you are basically telling the vehicle to accept the frequency of the new/additional FOB. This is why you need all working keyfobs present when programming any new fob or keypad.
The owner's manual states the FEH can be programmed to accept up to 4 different keyfobs (the keypad counts as 1.)

I also have the Keypad installed on my FEH. I use it alot... It especally came in handy last week when I accidentally set off my car alarm. I forgot to make sure my doors were unlocked before shutting the door since I left my keys on the seat.

My wife's aunt has a keypad on her Explorer that is hard wired to her vehicle's power. She said that whenever the battery is disconnected, the code reverts back to the original factory code. With the "stick-on" keypads, we don't need to worry about this.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
My father once got into an F-150 after unlocking the door, thinking it was his. But for some reason his key wouldn't work in the ignition.... then he noticed something hanging from the rearview mirror that wasn't his and realized.... opps... wrong truck, but his key worked fine on the door.
I had the same sort of thing happen to me. I was renting a car, and after doing all the paper work, they handed the keys and told me it was the green Chrysler out back. I went out back, and found two identical green Chryslers sitting right next to each other. I went up to the first, and tried the key in the door. It worked, so I figured it was the right one. As I got in, the attendant came running out yelling that I was in the wrong car.

Yep, two identical looking cars, both using the same keys; at least for the door locks.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by rihavo
Key Fobs work on frequencies (which we all already know...) So when you program your vehicle to accept a new FOB, you are basically telling the vehicle to accept the frequency of the new/additional FOB.
Well, the key fob transmits a unique ID code, on that frequency. It is the digital ID code which the vehicle "learns" is its, and from then on, listens for that unique code. Vehicles can have two or more codes which they recognize as their own.

Some of the new higher end cars, have key fobs that use codes that change automatically after each use. That prevents a bad person nearby from "listening" to the code, and then re-using it to open the car later on.

Old 10-28-2006, 04:58 PM

I have had the stick-on keypad since I purchased my hybrid. I recently purchased the hardwired keypad on Ebay and will see if I can install it. The stick-on works fine, it's just a bit bulky.