ev battery question!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Active Enthusiast
Post ev battery question!

has anyone ever come across this problem. sometimes when i start my 05' feh, when it finally drops to ev mode it won't stay it goes right back into ice mode. it will do this the whole time the truck is running. and won't stay in ev at all goes right back to ice.

but if i shut the truck down and restart it it works fine. it will drop right down to ev mode, and act normal. i can get a 1/2 mile to a mile in ev mode i think the problem is in the battery pack but not sure. any ideas.!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ev battery question!

I wonder if you have failing relays and replacing the ones in the "stop safely now" threads would fix it?

Old 04-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

i have had the red light come on once or twice before. it's a good thought, i am going to connect my obd II computer tomorow and see if it,s throwing any codes. i will post the outcome tomorow.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

In my experience with submarine batteries (different chemistry) when a cell goes bad it doesn't play games, it goes. In any event unless a whole group of cells was going bad just one cell wouldn't do what you report.

So the erratic behavior you report strikes me (at some risk of being accused of blaming all odd behavior on this) as a wiring/connector problem.

For example an odd behavior on conventional cars I have observed: when a starter starts the engine just fine cold but won't when the engine is hot and its summertime, there is an oil soaked connection, probably the heavy positive cable where it connects to the starter.

In this case I believe a possible mechanism is that a fault in the signal line that switches the ICE between EV and ICE heats up slowly and then when it gets warm enough and you cycle on & off, your FEH works fine.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Enthusiast

happens to me too on an 06. Brought it in to ford and they found nothing. They say to bring it in when it's having the problem. Then they need me to leave it there and guess what, when they restart the truck, nothing's wrong...

Old 04-12-2009, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by cowboy
i have had the red light come on once or twice before. it's a good thought, i am going to connect my obd II computer tomorow and see if it,s throwing any codes. i will post the outcome tomorow.
By any chance are you driving in "L" most of the time? I've never seen this myself but driving in "L" could cause this problem without codes.

GaryG

Old 04-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
By any chance are you driving in "L" most of the time? I've never seen this myself but driving in "L" could cause this problem without codes.

GaryG
That's sounds possible, running in L the first time, than shift into park, restart and now in D.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by colchiro
That's sounds possible, running in L the first time, than shift into park, restart and now in D.
Now, what do you know about anything here? Who said anything about the first time in "L"? You are a trouble maker with no understanding about anything that I can tell. Your comment of shifting to park, restart and now in D is your smart comment of trying to be an insult to me. Please grow-up till you know what you're talking about.

GaryG

Last edited by GaryG; 04-12-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: ev battery question!

thanks gary good thought . but the truck seems to only do it at certain times. i drive in d all the time, except in the winter, when i am coming down either of the bridges to cape cod, when its snowing. but if it's acting up, and i pull over shut it down and restart it. it's fine. this really baffles me.

i have only 5,000 miles left on the 100,000 mile warranty. i should leave the truck with the ford garage for a day. i even get a rental for the day from ford.

i have hit 38.5 mpg when the truck acts right. so i know i 'm driving it right.

your right the other guy, didn't know what he's talking about. sounded like gibberish to me.

i trust your opinion you seem to know what your talking about.

what do you think of the dash daq. i was thinking of getting one.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

by the way it didn't throw any codes it was clear.

Quick Reply: ev battery question!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands