Exhaust Flex Coupling Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 07:56 AM
Feral Engineer
Default Exhaust Flex Coupling Failure

Anyone else have their flex coupling leak? I first noticed it a few weeks ago when backing out of the garage (echos off the walls). Now it is loud enough to hear when I'm driving on the road.

Thankfully this part is common with the non-hybrid Escape, so the part is reasonable ($60 to $120 depending on source, for Walker 52455 part).

I'm a little disappointed to have this fail at 55,000 miles, but so far repairs on my 2007 FEH have been:

Rear battery vent door servo
ABS ring on front axle split
Inner tie rod joint
Front stabilizer links (on 4th set)
Tires (originals sucked on snow and wet surface from day one)

I've done all the repairs myself except the inner tie rod ($350).

Old 07-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Feral Engineer
Default Re: Exhaust Flex Coupling Failure

I installed the pipe today. Easy job once the 5 nuts are freed. I soaked them with penetrating oil, then hit them with a propane torch. I had to alternately tighten and loosen them until I broke them totally free, not wanting to risk twisting off the studs.

The rear section of the internal bellows was completely broken loose and the exhaust was leaking out through the outer wire braid.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Feral Engineer
Default Re: Exhaust Flex Coupling Failure

Originally Posted by travelover
Anyone else have their flex coupling leak? I first noticed it a few weeks ago when backing out of the garage (echos off the walls). Now it is loud enough to hear when I'm driving on the road.

Thankfully this part is common with the non-hybrid Escape, so the part is reasonable ($60 to $120 depending on source, for Walker 52455 part).

I'm a little disappointed to have this fail at 55,000 miles, but so far repairs on my 2007 FEH have been:

Rear battery vent door servo
ABS ring on front axle split
Inner tie rod joint
Front stabilizer links (on 4th set)
Tires (originals sucked on snow and wet surface from day one)
Rear brake pads

I've done all the repairs myself except the inner tie rod ($350).
Curses! Add to the above list a right front wheel bearing, cost $470. Ironically nearly all of my issues so far have been non-hybrid related.

Last edited by travelover; 08-16-2012 at 05:10 PM.