Factory Install Nav. Not Bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Factory Install Nav. Not Bad

Hi,

I just drove from Montreal to Saint John, New Brunswick. The shortest distance takes me through Maine and the Nav was no help, at least in trying to get directions. Both the start and end-points are on one CD (Canada) however much of the drive is on the North East US disk. When asking for the shortest route, it would only use main roads (highways) as it only has the main US roads on the Canadian CD. This would have added a few hours to the trip. We ended up printing directions using Google and using the map display to keep track of our progress. Pretty weak IMHO. I can't believe the designers did not think of this.

Cheers,

rcomeau

Old 12-30-2006, 09:10 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Factory Install Nav. Not Bad

I like the nav unit. I have three nav units, one in my 05 Corvette, one in my 07 FEH, and one (TomTom) in my Palm Treo 700w Smartphone. After using the Corvette system for almost two years, I definitely wanted it in my new FEH. Of the three, the TomTom in my Treo is the best! I travel for a living (airline pilot) and often use rental cars to get around different cities. The TT kicks butt on the GM & Ford product. And it has the entire USA on a 1 gig mini storage card.

The FEH system needs to be on one DVD not several CD's. It is a pain crossing states and having to change cd's. The entire map can be placed in one DVD just like my Corvette system and my TT.

I'm not bashing it, just comparing it to the other two I use. As for ease of use, it is about the same as the others. I wish the auto makers would buy into systems like Garmin or TomTom just like they did with satellite radio and make the data base the same in all cars.