Factory Install Nav. Not Bad

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Factory Install Nav. Not Bad

I agree with everyone who has posted on here, Yes the Navigation system could be better in the FEH, but over all the system is really good, and I have the option of comparing it to the Navigation system in the Prius because I have a Prius. The Navigation system in the Prius is not with out its faults. It has gotten streets incorrect and gotten me lost on several occassions--does that make it worthless? No because it can re-adjust and help me find my way. Just like the Nav in the FEH. I have only had my 07 FEH for 6 days so I have not used the point of interest function yet so I can't say that it matches the accuracy of the Prius Navigation system.

But just a note I have been using the Prius Nav system for about 4 years now(we had a 01 classic prius with the Nav and now have the 05 Prius) and it's accuracy is not perfect, sometimes it gets street names wrong, or tells you to get off the highway when you should stay on, and sometimes you can put in an address and it will tell you there is no such address--and you know there is because you have been there a thousand and one times.

Someone posted that they have a gripe with the FEH nav system because it can't find a POI if it's in a shopping center. Well neither can the Toyota Nav system, I don't know how many times I've had to circle a shopping center to find a POI interest, when the Nav system has already told me that I arrived at my destination 5 minutes ago. EVERY system has its faults, the ford Nav system is no different. IMO it is just as effective as the Nav in the Prius. I'm glad that I got it--AND believe me I almost didn't because some of the posts on here.

As for the home key, I was in my driveway and pressed the home key on the FEH and it saved the wrong address, instead of 3701 it saved 3719. I really wish the Nav on the FEH would allow you to just type in your home address and save it--the Nav on the Prius does--so it's all a matter of +'s and -'s this just happens to be a minus for the FEH IMO

Old 09-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lbaker
As for the home key, I was in my driveway and pressed the home key on the FEH and it saved the wrong address, instead of 3701 it saved 3719. I really wish the Nav on the FEH would allow you to just type in your home address and save it
That sounds like an error in the mapping, not the GPS unit. If you had entered your address it probably would have given you directions to a house up the street from you.

Honestly, I am amazed that with all the millions of addresses in the US, it can get pretty darned close. Mine tells me to turn left into my driveway instead of right. When I tried saving a location from my driveway it saved it as 7 instead of 8. Close enough unless you are planning on dropping a precision guided bomb on someone.....

Old 09-20-2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by salsbr
Speaking only for myself, it gets lost, or believes I am somewhere else often enough to cause me troubles. If it is a few hundred yards off it can completely misdirect you to your destination (I've had to abandon its directions in the past).

I would be satisfied if it were simply accurate. My initial reaction was the same as yours.
Out of curiousity, do you have aftermarket tint on your windows? The wrong type of tint (metallic) can interfere with GPS and some cellphone reception inside the vehicle, even if the windshield isn't tinted. Just a shot in the dark. If you've reported your issue in the past, my apologies as I'm probably repeating a question that someone else has asked you in the past.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Out of curiousity, do you have aftermarket tint on your windows? The wrong type of tint (metallic) can interfere with GPS and some cellphone reception inside the vehicle, even if the windshield isn't tinted. Just a shot in the dark. If you've reported your issue in the past, my apologies as I'm probably repeating a question that someone else has asked you in the past.
Actually, no one has mentioned this, but no I haven't done anything to the windows. And there's nothing on the dash to block the antenna either.

It's odd. Sometimes it just loses its place and it can take a full day to get it back.

If it fixed itself the next time it got a good signal then I'd be ok, but it doesn't seem to.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by salsbr
Actually, no one has mentioned this, but no I haven't done anything to the windows. And there's nothing on the dash to block the antenna either.

It's odd. Sometimes it just loses its place and it can take a full day to get it back.

If it fixed itself the next time it got a good signal then I'd be ok, but it doesn't seem to.
Do you leave your NAV CD in the dash unit all the time? Mine used to do the same thing until I started leaving the NAV CD in (I keep my audio in the CD changer--which sadly I didn't know I had for a week ). Anyway... It almost SEEMS as if the NAV (even when "inactive" as far as the interface is concerned) tracks you constantly if the CD is in. If it isn't then it doens't have a map to go by (the unit uses a combination of dead reckoning (sp?), matching to the map, and GPS fixes from what I've seen... thats why you can sometime see you position drift slowly onto one of the nearby streets when its off). If the CD is in it seems to track constantly... if you take the CD out it needs to do an initial fix... which frankly it seems very slow at.

At least thats been my observation. With the CD in all the time I'm usually pretty accurate, its no the most convenient to be sure.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by lbaker
As for the home key, I was in my driveway and pressed the home key on the FEH and it saved the wrong address, instead of 3701 it saved 3719.
I think that is true of all Nav systems?

They all just approximate house numbers. Usually by assuming the house numbers are all evenly spaced down the street/block/road.

My house number is 3811. My neighbor to the immediate left is 3801, and my neighbor to the immediate right is 3825. My portable Garmin will display a whole range of 38xx house numbers, depending on where I am standing in my front yard. In other words, it doesn't jump directly from 3801 to 3811 to 3825. The MMH, just shows the house number approximation from the physical location of my driveway on the one side of my property (I haven't driven it around the front yard, yet).

Old 09-21-2006, 04:29 AM

BTW, the MMH's Nav system is indeed better than the Verizon "VZ Nav" application running on my cell phone. About 50% of the time, "VZ Nav" will locate me on its displayed map, in the middle of my across-the-street neighbor's property.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
BTW, the MMH's Nav system is indeed better than the Verizon "VZ Nav" application running on my cell phone. About 50% of the time, "VZ Nav" will locate me on its displayed map, in the middle of my across-the-street neighbor's property.
Of course the Verizon doesn't use the GPS satilites I believe... I think it triangulates you from cell phone towers. Sort of a pseudo GPS.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
I think that is true of all Nav systems?
Yes, that's true. As crappy as the Ford system is, that is one glitch that is not unique to it.

I have four GPS units, three Garmin's & an Eclipse & none of them ever get my house # right.

If I go to Google Maps or Google Earth, that doesn't get it right either. On Google Earth, it always points to a house two doors down from mine.

~John

Old 09-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmorton10
If I go to Google Maps or Google Earth, that doesn't get it right either. On Google Earth, it always points to a house two doors down from mine.

~John
Maybe you've been fixing up the wrong house all these years.

Quick Reply: Factory Install Nav. Not Bad

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands