Fed up with Ford

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fed up with Ford

Originally Posted by bigsweeps
Oh - another option for me to consider is to go with a FWD instead of 4WD. If I go with FWD, I can get one fully loaded (with premium pkg and moonroof) for the same MSRP as my "broken" truck (which only has leather pkg, nav, appearance pkg and safety pkg). The only negatives that I can think of is a)resale and b)I live in New England and 4WD does come in handy in the winter. Positives are a)better tax credit and b)better gas mileage. Any thoughts?
That's the deal you want. You can decide to keep the truck or run it down to D.C. or somewhere and sell it for a HCH or Prius. I had the same problem when I bought my Acura. Believe it or not it was a joke and Acura's response was totally unacceptable for a car like that (I realize I went with a Honda which is the same manufacturer but I will never give them that much money again). I stuck it out and will never buy one again. I get back by telling everyone I can about it.

Old 04-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brick
4WD isn't really necessary, even in New England. I grew up in MA, went to school in upstate NY, and now I'm in CT. I started with a RWD Volvo, replaced it with a FWD Volvo w/ traction control, and now have FWD Accord w/o traction control. All three cars have had a good set of snow tires and not once have I had trouble. (Ok, once with the first car but that was because I switched back to my rain tires too early.) A couple of years ago I was caught in a very bad squall north of Stowe, VT in Volvo #2. AWD and 4WD SUVs and trucks were sliding all over the place but I just kept on moving up the hills. Not only that, but the car could stop, which 4WD won't help with.

To tell you the truth I liked the handling characteristics of RWD the best, but my FWD cars have yet to fail me in the snow.
I can understand not wanting to give them another dime after this issue. But in the end you are actually coming out ahead. Your 2005 has surely depreciated more than $900 dollars, so if you were to try and sell it on you own and go with a different ride you would be out a lot more than the $900. Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate where you are coming from, I am just saying don't let your frustration get the better of you.

Rather than win the battle to lose the war, you would be better off taking the deal and then vote with your legs the next time you are looking for a new vehicle.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:39 AM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Talking Re: Fed up with Ford

Originally Posted by Chilly
I can understand not wanting to give them another dime after this issue. But in the end you are actually coming out ahead. Your 2005 has surely depreciated more than $900 dollars, so if you were to try and sell it on you own and go with a different ride you would be out a lot more than the $900. Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate where you are coming from, I am just saying don't let your frustration get the better of you.

Rather than win the battle to lose the war, you would be better off taking the deal and then vote with your legs the next time you are looking for a new vehicle.
I agree. 17,800mi and one model year newer for $900 is a pretty decent deal. For comparison, the gov't rate for travel right now is $0.44 per mile.

17,800mi x 0.44 = $7,832

That includes gas...so lets say just for example you get 28mpg and you paid an average of 2.75 per gallon.

17,800mi/28mpg = 635.7 gal used x $2.75 = $1,748.17

$7,832 - $1,748.17 - $900 = $5,183.83

I realize you're pi$$ed at Ford....but consider this a $5,183 payment for your troubles. (That doesn't even include the decrease $$ for a 2005-06 upgrade).

Nate

Old 04-07-2006, 03:52 AM
04 prius 350,000km

who knows you can give the 06 another try and shoot for 60 mpg if you want to milk the living crap out of your escape.

GaryG has reached those numbers before if you don't mind having a max speed of 35 mph.

Old 04-07-2006, 04:18 AM
Enthusiast

Yeah - everyone has a good point. I guess I'll try to find a fully loaded FWD 06 and then I won't be giving Ford a dime.

Old 04-18-2006, 04:15 PM
Enthusiast

Well, after plenty of consideration - I decided against another FEH. Since Ford was making me select something of equal MSRP, I narrowed my choices down to the 2007 Sport Trac Limited or the '06 Freestyle. After driving both, the Sport Trac won (even considering the crappy gas mileage). I may just drive it for a few weeks and trade it in on a Prius - still haven't decided.....but at least I'm rid of the lemon. Using the techniques I learned with my FEH (minus the dragging the brakes), I was able to get 22mpg on my ride home from the dealer (all backroads)....it's only supposed to get 15mpg around town so I was proud.

DH is happy with his HCH (behind my truck).....he just got his vanity plate approved (which we weren't expecting)......it's "F-OPEC" LOL!

Of course, having my gas guzzler parked next to it sort of ruins the effect......

Old 04-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Enthusiast

You will really enjoy the SportTrac. We still have our 2001, and it is going strong. I get up to 24 on the highway.

The 2006 SportTrac is a redesign of the frame and interior. Much better product IMO.

Old 04-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by elwood58
You will really enjoy the SportTrac. We still have our 2001, and it is going strong. I get up to 24 on the highway.

The 2006 SportTrac is a redesign of the frame and interior. Much better product IMO.
I've heard the 2007 does better mileage-wise because of the 6 speed transmission - so if I can get 25 mpg on the highway - I will be a very happy camper. I do really like the new style interior over the previous models - they had a 2002 right next to mine and it was like night and day. (see photo of my 2007 below).

I'm glad you're happy with yours elwood58.....that gives me hope that I will be happy with mine.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Looks good. Sorry you had a lemon. My FEH is a month old, and other than an occasional squeaky rear wheel, no complaints (knock on wood).

Cheers,

Roch

Old 05-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Enthusiast

Well - just to follow up - the Sport Trac was getting less than desireable fuel economy. Best I could do was 17mpg average - and that was really going slow and trying to squeek everything I could out of it. If I drove "normally", best I could get was 14mpg. It had to go. Beautiful truck - but with gas prices rising, I needed to get rid of it - and fast!

I looked at just about everything out there - from a Toyota RAV4, a Scion XB, Chevy HHR to a Honda Element. I'll admit - I hated the looks of the Element before I went to test drive it - but my husband pushed me to go look at it. Once I climbed inside and saw all the cool features, I was intrigued. I took it for a test drive and instantly fell in love. It was so much fun to drive! The price was right too (under $21K for a fully loaded AWD model). Well, I was lucky enough to find a dealer who bought my Sport Trac - so I'm now the proud owner of a new Element and couldn't be happier. My only concern was fuel economy - but frankly anything was better than the Sport Trac at this point. Several Element owners convinced me that the fuel ratings were actually conservative and that I wouldn't be disappointed. They were right. I'm getting about 26mpg with a mix of highway and city driving - which isn't much less than I got in my FEH. So now I've lowered my payments significantly (my FEH was $32K and the Element is just under $21K) and have a more versatile vehicle (the seats folding into a bed to go camping is too cool).

I realize that most people here are happy with their FEH's and will probably critisize my decision - but if you lived through what I did - I would bet you would have never wanted another Ford again either. LOL!

Quick Reply: Fed up with Ford

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands