FEH Arrived Today, But Trade-in Devalued

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH Arrived Today, But Trade-in Devalued

Originally Posted by nicst47
I don't mean to offend you, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Jeep's traditionally have a terrible resale value?
I can't say -- only traded in the one

It is amazing that someone could get even $10K for a 2004 model as it is. In order for the dealer to even break even he is going to have to sell it for something like $16K or more, and I just don't see that happening.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's that time of year that all vehicles become 1 year older hence the big drop in value. It's good that the dealership owned up and gave you the agreed trade in price. This goes to show you how much mark up there is in new vehicles.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrCrank
My almost-pristine 1999 Cherokee Laredo with low mileage (74K) only got me $3500 -- and I had to argue them up from $3000. The used car market is squishy as hell.

Wow, I got over $9K for my 1999 Cherokee.

Probably could have even gotten more, if I played the three potential buyers against each other.

Last edited by WaltPA; 12-20-2007 at 04:28 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:27 AM

I don't mean to offend you, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Jeep's traditionally have a terrible resale value?
Ah, no.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:42 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Ah, no.
My bad, sorry then.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Our dealer tried pulling this line with us on the order date. They said "well it's worth this today, but it WILL depreciate by the time the FEH gets here." It's not like you are trading it in today...

So I called the wife to come pick me up, took my tag off the trade and handed them the keys... They didn't like that idea too much.

But they did give me the full value and completed the sales agreement on that day.

I had them write a clause that in the event the deal did not close by the promised delivery date, they would return the MONEY for the trade to me..

On delivery date, the trade was still sitting on their lot....must have DEPRECIATED just like they said it would

08FEH

Old 12-21-2007, 04:53 AM

I don't know about "terrible", but they don't hold their value like say a Toyota or a Honda.

I work in the IT dept of a local car dealership & we buy vehicles at the wholesale auctions in batches of 20-30 at a time.

Jeep Grand Cherokee's are one of our absolute best sellers at this time of year in Upstate NY. We have been buying them in batches of 12-15 at a time & the reason we are buying so many is we have been running into 1-3 year old GC's at WAY WAY below what they originally sold for.

Our customers are thrilled at the savings especially if they have been out shopping for a new one.......

~John

Old 12-21-2007, 07:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Wow, I got over $9K for my 1999 Cherokee.
Probably the dealer I sold it to would get about that for my car. You get much less on a "trade in" but much less hassle. They shield you from the end buyer and that's what you're paying for.