FEH Battery Differences Between Years/Other questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 02:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH Battery Differences Between Years/Other questions

Today I tore down two other cores. One of them was an 08 and the other an 06.

As you Can see in the first photo and from what I’ve circled, the battery computer is square, where as the older version in the following picture is L shaped. The 08 also has the same electronics as the 09, minus the jump start box. I have confirmed that neither of these were opened or tampered with. No broken zip ties or any nonsense.

I have a few more cores to tear apart, and I’ll see if I can get any information to see if this is a consistent electronic difference between years, as I’ve heard rumors that Ford likes to mix and match components between years, only discernible by taking the case apart or comparing serial numbers. More info to follow.

05-07 Square BCM, jump starter included
08 L shaped BCM, jump starter included
09 L shaped BCM, jump starter NOT included

10-13, TBD

Last edited by dirt657; 11-02-2021 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 02:49 PM
Enthusiast

Photos below

Old 10-17-2021, 03:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dirt657
thank you for this. It was just a blown fuse.
Awesome! Those are the kind of fixes everyone likes the most. The only question now is why it blew in the first place and will that repeat itself? If the fan motor(s) are drawing more current than usual, you should know pretty quickly, because the fuse will blow again and then you're shooting the fans themselves, and/or the wiring harness and BCM, but at least you narrowed it down and it's working. It would be very cool if someone with Ford IDS wired in an ammeter, commanded both fans ON and measured the current with known good fans. I don't know what wattage these fans are rated for, my guess is that that they are 250 watt or less b/c the fuse can handle 600 watts (50A x 12V) and it also supplies the Battery Control Module through position 15. The fan connectors themselves don't look particularly "beefy" so I cannot imagine that they are more than 250 watts each. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...-05936797.html

Old 10-21-2021, 11:21 PM
Enthusiast

If you end up with a spare, working Battery Control Module for a 2007 (or compatible year, based on the results of your research) I may be willing to purchase it to attempt to troubleshoot an annoying problem (still unsolved) documented in this thread.

Old 11-02-2021, 10:38 PM
Enthusiast

Quick update…let me correct myself.

2005-2007 Models contain the Square shaped BCM, a jump starter have a ton more grounds in the pack, different PCB boards configurations, compared to the 08-09. Between 05-07, the only difference I can notice is some of the cable management went from a material that looks like the bristle side of a sponge to some foam. The vent is also a different material between these years. But all electronics are compatible and you will have zero issues installing anything between these 3 years.

2008 Incorporates the Newer L shaped BCM, fewer grounds (noticeably less complicated), but retains the jumpstart module.

2009 has the same configuration as the 2008 without the jumpstart module.

Battery years can be found on these batteries very easily by the label on the top lid, as the first digit will tell you the year made for years 05-09 and you can tell if they have a jump starter or not using my key above, or by looking at the number following “m” in the sequence. Following the M, 64 indicated a jump starter is included, 68 means no jump starter. (Confirm no one has tampered with the pack or the label means nothing)

For example:

6M64
6=2006
M64 means the pack has the jump start unit.

9M68

2009, has no jump starter

So far, I can confirm this by having 20 of these torn down over the last few weeks, several of each year.

I am taking apart a 2010 this week and will confirm any differences in components. I will individually take apart a 2011, 2012, and 2013 to confirm any of these differences. Bottom line is this.

For anyone purchasing a used pack: DO NOT follow any compatibility guidelines on sites like Car-Part . Com or trust any salvage yards. 2005-2009 are NOT compatible. 2005-2007 are one style, 2008 is another and 2009 is another. Again I will update thread once I take these newer ones apart.

Old 11-02-2021, 10:39 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zeerok
If you end up with a spare, working Battery Control Module for a 2007 (or compatible year, based on the results of your research) I may be willing to purchase it to attempt to troubleshoot an annoying problem (still unsolved) documented in this thread.
sure man. Give me a ring. I’m in California but can ship.

Old 11-02-2021, 10:43 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Refuse to install a battery unless the A/C is operating to specification. Educate the customer that failed A/C that is not repaired promptly voids their battery warranty.

To the best of my knowledge, YMMV:
All years can take all years batteries/computers.
All years use the same Sanyo (Panasonic) cells in 5 cells sticks.
05-08 have jump starter located in the cavity on the driver's side. 05-08 computer is different than 09+, 05-08 computer may be required for jump starter to operate.
09+ have nothing in that cavity.
Almost had it perfect. Just to clarify one more time because Ford had to be so darned weird. (Thank you for always helping everyone else out on this forum, I have gone a great length to confirm this stuff and you and this thread have helped tremendously)

05-07 same same, square shaped computer, more grounds, more pcb stuff, has jump starter
08 new, L shaped computer (retains jump start unit)
09 same as 08 but with no jump starter

Take it to the bank.

Old 11-03-2021, 01:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dirt657
Almost had it perfect. Just to clarify one more time because Ford had to be so darned weird. (Thank you for always helping everyone else out on this forum, I have gone a great length to confirm this stuff and you and this thread have helped tremendously)

05-07 same same, square shaped computer, more grounds, more pcb stuff, has jump starter
08 new, L shaped computer (retains jump start unit)
09 same as 08 but with no jump starter

Take it to the bank.
Thank you for your efforts doing this! It's great to see these differences documented and explained. Please take pictures so that people can compare in the future, if you can.

Old 05-14-2022, 08:55 AM
Enthusiast

Any updates on dissecting the battery internals on a 2010 or later and comparing it to those of a 2008 battery pack?
Thanks
John

Old 05-17-2022, 04:21 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My battery has pre 09 firmware but no jump starter.

Quick Reply: FEH Battery Differences Between Years/Other questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands