FEH Fuel Economy Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 01:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH Fuel Economy Issues

In California the FEH is an ATPZEV

ATPZEV = Alternative Techology Patricial Zero Emissions Vehicle.

ATPZEV is really a politcal creation that the the Air Resources Board came up with to recognize VERY clean vehicles, like the FEH. The main requirements are the following -

Some kind of non-traditional techology to reduce emissions (i.e. alt fuel or hybrid).
A 150,000 mile emissions warranty on advanced compenants.
Zero evaporative emissions (so called hot soak emissions)

Cars in the ATPZEV group include =
Gen II Prius, not not the other Toyota Hybrids (Gen 1 prius is SULEV as is the Highlander and RX400)
All Honda Hybrids, except that dirty old Insight (sulev)
Honda Civic CNG (the cleanest car on the planet)
Some GM Dedicated CNG Vans and Pickups (the others are SULEV)

Enjoy...

Chris Brown Mendocino County AQMD

Old 09-14-2005, 02:39 PM

Both of you make good points.

It is my opinion that I got a better than average FWD FEH first of all. I've raced friends of mine with the same car (not the FEH) and engine and beat them every time. Some people have better skills than others. Some people maintain their vehicles for top perfomance. Being focused and concentrating help a great deal also. I just think a good combination = better performance = better MPG.

It is also my opinon that driving condition play a big roll but you can only compare one vehicle and driver to the other with the same driving conditions. During the winter here it may take 2-3 miles to warm the FEH for EV mode in the morning. Now during the summer when it is 80 degrees that same time in the morning, sometimes I can drive less than one mile to go into EV mode. This could be the difference in running the ICE during three stop lights and one. This is other reason why I don't pay any attention to the mileage database.

Let me clear up something. I cannot go 40mph in the EV mode let alone set the cruise control at that speed. What I have said is, I went from setting the cruise in EV mode from 31-32 mph to 35mph which had to do with break-in I'm sure. I've got 12,000 mile on my FEH and I've got close to 40 in EV mode but can't maintain it. My ICE starts up at 40mph no matter what. I can get to 38 but I can't stay there long and can't set the cruise there without starting the ICE. One point I need to make is at 35mph the battery drains faster and I end up only going a mile in EV mode verses 1.3 at 31 mph in cruise. There is a point to be made about going faster in EV mode and getting less mpg (distance) because of recharge. Maybe the points being made about EV mode verses ICE have to do with the AWD having more drag and draining the battery faster which will not give much better mpg in EV mode. I haven't drove a AWD and didn't buy one because of MPG. I can tell you my FWD saves me alot of gas in EV mode.

Months back I posted (maybe in hybridcars.com) about me changing my thinking to saving battery charge. I try to coast as much as I can in EV mode. Coming up to a light, a stop or slower traffic I get off the pedal when I can and that includes EV mode. If you have the nav. computer you can see the battery stop draining.

As I have said before, the FEH gives me the ability to get better mpg if I want. If I need to drive fast in a hurry I can, it has the power. If there are long lines at the pumps or I'm low on cash, I know I can get 40mpg if I need to. When your miles to empty gage reads 575 miles to empty, its a good feeling after a fill-up. I've been there but only when I choose to.

I thought for a while because I could get 40mpg when it was new that there was little or no break-in period as others did on hybridcars.com. We were wrong. I think break-in continues at my 12,000 mile mark. I go into EV easier, faster and I can see I can go faster at lower RPM's. There is less drag and it rolls easier now. I think the flat roads here give me a better chance to feel that big improvement.

Thank you all for your opinions. I can agree or disagree but bottom line is where the rubber meets the road for me and you. I did looked over at database site and understand someone's term for hypermiler means better lifetime MPG than EPA's rating. Do I think I'm there? Maybe, didn't keep the records. For me, the EPA was a guide to compare other cars I bought and there rating and what I got compared to those ratings. I'm very happy to report the FEH supprised me for the first time after buying a car. I expected to get at best 29 MPG when I bought the FEH. I would have been disapointed with less than 26 MPG with the A/C on. Right now I can say I get 29 to 41 MPG with my averge between that maybe below that now a little because of a very hot summer. I think the EPA was going to rate the FEH higher around 42 city but backed off if I remember right. I waited a few years for the FEH to hit the market. It was worth the wait for me.

Old 09-14-2005, 06:53 PM
FEH Advocate

To explain emissions further ... "Escape Hybrid is an extremely clean vehicle to operate, producing 97 percent less hydrocarbon and oxides of nitrogen emissions than vehicles that meet today's nationwide Tier I emissions standard. That's clean enough to qualify the Escape Hybrid for the stringent Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (AT-PZEV) standards. Escape Hybrid achieves the AT-PZEV standards (Tier 2 bin 4 federally) by combining an efficient power-train with an exhaust catalyst system that is very effective at lowering smog-forming emissions."

However ... PZEVs are offered exclusively in the green states (California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York and Vermont). See http://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/E-FORD-EscapeHEV-05.htm
As the EPA chart shows, the air polution score is different for the green states, with the same engine family. Is this because of modified equipment such as the exhaust catalyst system or maybe a difference in PCM programing? If there is a different system, how does this affect the fuel efficiency (e.g.: did EPA test fuel economy for vehicles released in green states as well)? Or is there some regulation difference that makes the same exact vehicles appear to have a better air polution score for green states?

Old 09-15-2005, 10:13 PM
FEH Advocate
Default FEH Pulse & Glide

Hi XCEL,

Read in another thread that you will soon be able to test drive a friend's FEH. As one of the Pulse & Glide Masters, it would be great if you could report back your expert, objective evaluation of the FEH's EV capability as well as for performing P&G technique.

Want to relay a couple of tips that might help, especially if it is not equipped with NAV option as mine is not. If you press and hold the odometer reset while starting the car, you will see a test screen that may display over 70 different modes. For entire list, go to Yahoo FEH Group files section, folder titled "FEH Secrets Revealed" and download the FEH_CODES.xls file (authored by GPSMan1).

The display you want will show "CA" after pressing odometer trip 21 times. This shows real-time value for kilowatts, "+" consumed & "-" produced. So to perform a "glide", or powerless coast, in the FEH you want to lightly press on gas pedal to try to maintain zero display (neither consuming nor producing electricity). Know you get it Wayne, but thought I would spell it out for others who wish to try.

Best way I have found to go into EV mode for glide is put it in low gear and/or tap the brake, where max speed for EV is 40MPH. Note - this only works if tachometer is right on 1000RPM (ICE is not ready to turn off during coast if it is 1100RPM or above). If you used Low gear to get into EV, then shift back to drive for glide.

Good Luck,
-Dan

Last edited by Gillman; 09-15-2005 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:31 AM
Enthusiast

Is anyone getting hypermileage with California gas?

I think we're getting "winter gas" all year round now.