FEHL warm up stratagy question

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:34 AM
Active Enthusiast
Location: New Jersey. Land of high auto insurance and pollution.
Default FEHL warm up stratagy question

I'd like to know if I understand the FEH's warmup stratagy correctly...

After starting a cold soak engine the Pcm will run the motor extremely rich until the coolant temp and catalytic converter rise to operating temperature.

If the above is correct, at what temp does the cat need to be for the engine to end the rich burn warm up stratagy?

Old 11-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Default Re: FEHL warm up stratagy question

Originally Posted by twolostminds
I'd like to know if I understand the FEH's warmup stratagy correctly...

After starting a cold soak engine the Pcm will run the motor extremely rich until the coolant temp and catalytic converter rise to operating temperature.

If the above is correct, at what temp does the cat need to be for the engine to end the rich burn warm up stratagy?
Our '09 FEH/MMH will go EV from a cold start much quicker than prior models. The Intake Air, Engine Load and RPM are used so the PCM can check the correct coolant temperature also. The CAT just needs to go Light Out at about 550 degrees F for the warm-up strategy to end. This does not take much time and is much quicker than the coolant temperature to reach EV requirements. The warm-up strategy is much shorter in our '09 so the battery SoC does not fall to the low levels my '05 does. To monitor Light Off set one of your SGII standard gauges to Open/Closed Loop and when you go Closed Loop from a cold start you are at Light Off temperature of around 550 degrees. You'll also find after the FEH sits for more than 5 minutes the Cat rapidly cools down below Light Off and a warm-up strategy begins again.

For the best FE, you want the least amounts of warm-up strategies as possible during a day. I take it real easy on the electric motors to reserve as much SoC as possible while the engine timimg is being retarded for heating the CAT.

GaryG

Old 11-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

From a cold start but with an engine block heater, I have gone into EV within 1 mile in 28 degree weather. It doesn't take the CAT very long to heat up. The radiator coolant temp (FwT on the Scanguage II) needs to exceed 154 and the engine heat temp (CHT on Scangugae II) needs to exceed 188. Both Fwt and CHT take longer to reach operating temperature than the CAT in winter temperatures.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Would wrapping the exhaust header, downpipe and cat shorten the time to "light off" after initial cold soak start and lengthen the time unitl the ICE needs to kick back on in stop and go rush hour trafic? Or woould wrapping the cat just overheat it and lead to its early demise?

Old 11-25-2008, 07:34 AM

Would wrapping the exhaust header, downpipe and cat shorten the time to "light off" after initial cold soak start and lengthen the time unitl the ICE needs to kick back on in stop and go rush hour trafic? Or woould wrapping the cat just overheat it and lead to its early demise?
The CAT gets as high as 1,200 degrees so I would not mess with something getting that hot. It not only could cause it early demise, but an early demise of your FEH (up in flames).

GaryG

Old 11-25-2008, 08:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
The CAT gets as high as 1,200 degrees so I would not mess with something getting that hot. It not only could cause it early demise, but an early demise of your FEH (up in flames).

GaryG
Ok, so unless I want to roast some marshmellows over a $35K bonfire I'll rule out insulating the cat.

My main reason for trying to shorten the cold soak warm up stratagy is obviously better FE. Seems the only practical mechanical method would be a block heater. Now I just need to convince my townhome assoc. to let me run some underground electrical to our parking space. That should be fun. Maybe I'll do it and just forget to tell them.

The next logical step would be to change my wifes driving habits during the first mile or so. On her morning commute to work the first 0.8 miles is on a 25 MPH road that is 0.2 miles flat, 0.5 miles slight decline, then 0.1 slight uphill to a traffic light where she turns onto a local highway (US 1). From there it is 4 miles of 45 - 50 MPH stop and go traffic with traffic lights until she turns off onto a 40 MPH road for the last mile to work. Shes doing great on that last mile, setting the cruise control to 38 MPH and going almost the entire way in EV. Any ideas for increasing the first 0.8 miles?

Old 11-25-2008, 09:18 AM

I would bet that the best result, FE wise, for the money invested would be to use a small electric heater plugged into a house outlet and on a timer to pre-heat the passenger cabin.

I would not "mess" with any sort of engine block heater unless the vehicle will otherwise get inordinately COLD (Cut Bank MT in the wintertime), as that might result in premature failure of the catalyst.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:10 AM

Ok, so unless I want to roast some marshmellows over a $35K bonfire I'll rule out insulating the cat.

My main reason for trying to shorten the cold soak warm up stratagy is obviously better FE. Seems the only practical mechanical method would be a block heater. Now I just need to convince my townhome assoc. to let me run some underground electrical to our parking space. That should be fun. Maybe I'll do it and just forget to tell them.

The next logical step would be to change my wifes driving habits during the first mile or so. On her morning commute to work the first 0.8 miles is on a 25 MPH road that is 0.2 miles flat, 0.5 miles slight decline, then 0.1 slight uphill to a traffic light where she turns onto a local highway (US 1). From there it is 4 miles of 45 - 50 MPH stop and go traffic with traffic lights until she turns off onto a 40 MPH road for the last mile to work. Shes doing great on that last mile, setting the cruise control to 38 MPH and going almost the entire way in EV. Any ideas for increasing the first 0.8 miles?
I find the best way to heat-up the battery is to drain it as much as possible the night before shutting the engine off. The warm-up strategy will take the SoC below the normal operating limit of 40% the next morning. You may not get any regen in cold weather but your small generator (MG1) will be working overtime right after the warm-up strategy to recharge the battery. This heavy charging is the only way I know to heat the battery cells the quickest. In addition, engine load turning MG1 will help further heat the engine and CAT. No matter what, the best FE is a slow acceleration and avoid any hard acceleration that will disrupt the warm-up strategy of retarding the timing. On the '09 the cold engine idle is still 1,600 RPM so avoid any acceleration that will increase that idle. The warm engine idle during the warm-up strategy will be around 1,100 RPM, so avoid breaking that idle till the strategy is finished.

The engine block heater on a timer set 3 hours prior to start-up is what I'm hearing from Debbie Katz. She uses the block heater year round in WI in her '05 FEH and says it really reduces the time to go EV. My '09 here in Florida heats up so quickly with the recommendations above, I usually have to wait for my SoC to get above 42% to go EV. Therefore there is no reason for me to install a block heater.

One last thing you may want to consider is dressing warm and wait till the coolant temperature get real hot before running the cabin heater. The cabin heater will delay engine warm-up and will shorten your EV time. If your climate control is set to anything but OFF, the electric heater pump will circulate coolant in the heater core while in EV. Remember, when the engine shutsdown, the belt driven coolant pump stops also. Ford had to add the electric coolant pump for EV only to keep the cabin warm.

GaryG

Old 11-25-2008, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
I find the best way to heat-up the battery is to drain it as much as possible the night before shutting the engine off.

Assuming that happens "naturally" then all well and good. But if you are somehow artifically draining the hybrid battery that seems self-defeating to me.

The warm-up strategy will take the SoC below the normal operating limit of 40% the next morning. You may not get any regen in cold weather but your small generator (MG1) will be working overtime right after the warm-up strategy to recharge the battery. This heavy charging is the only way I know to heat the battery cells the quickest. In addition, engine load turning MG1 will help further heat the engine and CAT. No matter what, the best FE is a slow acceleration and avoid any hard acceleration that will disrupt the warm-up strategy of retarding the timing. On the '09 the cold engine idle is still 1,600 RPM so avoid any acceleration that will increase that idle. The warm engine idle during the warm-up strategy will be around 1,100 RPM, so avoid breaking that idle till the strategy is finished.

The engine block heater on a timer set 3 hours prior to start-up is what I'm hearing from Debbie Katz.

What effect will a preheated engine have on the catalyst warm-up cycle...? Adverse..??

Engine "arrives" at the selected heat level (long) before the Catalyst temperature has been raised to operational temperature, thereby foreshortening the catalyst warm-up cycle. Resulting in the catalyst failing prematurely, 70,000 miles instead of 150,000...??

She uses the block heater year round in WI in her '05 FEH and says it really reduces the time to go EV. My '09 here in Florida heats up so quickly with the recommendations above, I usually have to wait for my SoC to get above 42% to go EV. Therefore there is no reason for me to install a block heater.

One last thing you may want to consider is dressing warm and wait till the coolant temperature get real hot before running the cabin heater. The cabin heater will delay engine warm-up and will shorten your EV time. If your climate control is set to anything but OFF, the electric heater pump will circulate coolant in the heater core while in EV. Remember, when the engine shutsdown, the belt driven coolant pump stops also. Ford had to add the electric coolant pump for EV only to keep the cabin warm.

GaryG
Many newer climate control systems will not even start the system blower until the engine coolant temperature reaches ~130F.

Does the FEH even have an engine driven water pump..??

Old 11-25-2008, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by wwest
Many newer climate control systems will not even start the system blower until the engine coolant temperature reaches ~130F.

Does the FEH even have an engine driven water pump..??
Willard! you have to be kidding with that post! Of course I would drain the battery in EV and your CAT destruction theory is crazy. Yes, the FEH/MMH has a engine driven water (coolant) pump.

Willard, a space heater is dangerous inside a car, so don't even consider that. Do your children know where you are?

GaryG

Quick Reply: FEHL warm up stratagy question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands