Finally had to replace the 12v battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Finally had to replace the 12v battery

Looks like it is time to buy a new battery.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:22 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by grnhybrid
Yes I agree and understand that,(thank you), but what really confused me is that we are talking very low amp requirements to enagage the relay. For example I was able to turn my lights on, honk the horn, lock and unlock the doors, etc which all require a few amps give or take. So I would think that activating the 12v relay as explained by GPSman would be no problem. Thats why Im interesed in the actual spec/requirement for the 12v batterys role in the engine startup process.
Not sure those listed ACCs but having worked on power windows. A functioning power window motor will draw 15-20A. I had a bad one went to like >22A IIRC and stopped there as it works with a current limiting circuit, no switches to make at top/bottom of travel.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by econoline
On the SG I'm reading 11.8vdc before starting the ICE after the FEH sits overnight. Reading 11.5vdc with the headlights on before starting.

Does this mean my OEM battery is going to die soon? So far everything is normal with no starting or running issues. I'm carrying a booster pack just in case.
I doubled checked my Scan Gauge readings against a DVM directly on the battery terminals. The SG consistently reads 0.3vdc low compared to the DVM.

I don't think I need to replace the battery yet.