First Post - Question about audio system on '08 Escape

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 05:27 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: First Post - Question about audio system on '08 Escape

Originally Posted by DavidH
The dealer upgraded mine to the NAV system two months ago. The instalation looks factory and seems to work fine. I am still waiting for the manual. The dealer says Ford has them back ordered and cannot tell me when one will be available.
Do you mine me asking the cost? I just went to Ford's site and the retail difference from the standard radio to the NAV is $2695. If yours had a different radio did they just charge you the difference in price?

One other thing, Ford's site reads the NAV radio includes a "6-disc in-dash changer under the passenger seat". Well, how can the changer be in-dash if it's under the passenger seat?

Old 05-23-2007, 06:05 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by KyGreen
Do you mine me asking the cost? I just went to Ford's site and the retail difference from the standard radio to the NAV is $2695. If yours had a different radio did they just charge you the difference in price?

One other thing, Ford's site reads the NAV radio includes a "6-disc in-dash changer under the passenger seat". Well, how can the changer be in-dash if it's under the passenger seat?
The dealer charged me the difference between the Audiophile package and the NAV package. $2,000

The 08 NAV system uses a single NAV DVD in place of the older model's 6 NAV CD set. The 6 cd player for the audio system is a single slot above the NAV screen. The NAV DVD slot is behind the NAV screen. On the NAV screen, touch the load tag and a motor folds the screen down like the top of a folding desk. Next, the DVD ejects if loaded. Reload by putting the DVD back in, or putting in a new DVD.

No big box under the seat! And, only 1 disc.

Last edited by DavidH; 05-23-2007 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:20 AM
rb1
Active Enthusiast

A question for those with the audiophile system -- have you found the 7 speakers? I can only find the 5... two tweeters are just missing.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:22 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DavidH
The dealer charged me the difference between the Audiophile package and the NAV package. $2,000

The 08 NAV system uses a single NAV DVD in place of the older model's 6 NAV CD set. The 6 cd player for the audio system is a single slot above the NAV screen. The NAV DVD slot is behind the NAV screen. On the NAV screen, touch the load tag and a motor folds the screen down like the top of a folding desk. Next, the DVD ejects if loaded. Reload by putting the DVD back in, or putting in a new DVD.

No big box under the seat! And, only 1 CD.
Thanks, I appreciate the info.

It appears Ford's site isn't as up-to-date as it should be - especially when you are ordering a new vehicle based on the information they provide (or at least that is how is was in my case).

What about future NAV DVD updates? Does Ford charge you for a subscription or are they free - how does that work?

Old 05-23-2007, 06:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KyGreen

What about future NAV DVD updates? Does Ford charge you for a subscription or are they free - how does that work?
What has happened in the past is, Ford just doesn't bother with updates at all -you get what you get & live with it.

This is one of the things that people have been complaining about with the factory Ford NAV units for years now. Ford was shipping new 07 Escapes with NAV disc's that where over 3 years old & there is NO update available period.

~John

Old 05-23-2007, 06:48 AM
N/A

Originally Posted by jmorton10
This is one of the things that people have been complaining about with the factory Ford NAV units for years now. Ford was shipping new 07 Escapes with NAV disc's that where over 3 years old & there is NO update available period.
Similar thing happened with my old Prius. In fact, Toyota got so many complaints that they sent letters to the early (late 03 to early 04) nav buyers and provided a one-time free updated DVD.

I think nav triggers a lot of complaints from first-time users. It's so expensive that little bugs become infuriating. As you drive right past your exit ramp, the first thought is usually "I can't believe I paid $XXXX.XX for this!!" Once you've had it for a while, you tend to adapt and be more willing to work around the quirks without complaint.

Good thing Ford finally went with a regular DVD nav. That old CD-driven unit with the tiny screen was just plain primitive.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mtberman

Good thing Ford finally went with a regular DVD nav. That old CD-driven unit with the tiny screen was just plain primitive.
No kidding. My 06 came with that POS.

I used it for three weeks before removing it & replacing it with an Eclipse 5510 NAV/CD/CDR/DVD/backup camera/Sirius/Bluetooth unit.

~John

Old 05-23-2007, 08:45 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

...some 08 NAV pictures. Question, is this the same CD that other 08 owners received? Copyright 2005?

Last edited by DavidH; 05-23-2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

To answer the question about the tweeters. I think the consensus with the location of them is that they are in the front doors with the other speakers. I think I am going to pull the door panel this weekend and take a look with my own eyes. i will report with pictures of what i find.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:04 AM
rb1
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cngrevolution
To answer the question about the tweeters. I think the consensus with the location of them is that they are in the front doors with the other speakers. I think I am going to pull the door panel this weekend and take a look with my own eyes. i will report with pictures of what i find.
That'll be fantastic. Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: First Post - Question about audio system on '08 Escape

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands