Old 10-17-2005, 05:54 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264
Default Ford Motor Co. plans to speed up hybrid vehicle production

Article in the New Energy Report Dated 10/16 -

http://www.newenergyreport.org/000343.html

Old 10-17-2005, 08:06 AM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Re: Ford Motor Co. plans to speed up hybrid vehicle production

It would be nice to see some more Ford hybrids. With Toyota's help, the Escape/Mariner seems to be a winner. I'd buy a hybrid station wagon in a heartbeat if Ford made one.

Old 10-17-2005, 08:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
With Toyota's help...
Huh?

Old 10-17-2005, 08:24 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by randykato
Huh?
Ford licensed a bunch of hybrid tech from Toyota. The Ford hybrid system is basically a variation on the HSD. Ford implemented the system (which is highly commendable), but they didn't invent the technology they're using.

Old 10-17-2005, 12:08 PM
Enthusiast

To be more accurate Ford did not license anything from Toyota. They signed an agreement that basically said that while both technologies are similar they will not sue each other. Ford's Hybrid technology was designed by Volvo(which is owned by Ford).

Again, while they are similar they were developed totally separate. There are many articles on this site as well as the yahoo group.

Old 10-17-2005, 12:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

PPG,
There are also the .. umm.. minor details of Toyota's THS already out on the streets in 1997, the similarity in design and layout that Ford eventually produced over five years later, the use of Toyota control algorithms, and the mountain of Toyota patented IP wrt hybrids that Ford cannot begin to counter .. so I think your interpretation of events is wrong, but each to his own opinion, particularly since the details of what Ford gave to Toyota in return for licensing agreements is under wraps AFAIK, beyond cross-licensing of diesel, but not hybrid related (If I rememer correctly) IP.

It would, however, be unfortunate if Ford was stuck at G1 level Toyota technology.

Last edited by EricGo; 10-17-2005 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:18 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

At the FEH Experience, they clarified, that although they signed the agreement, none of what they use is from Toyota. Nothing. Every system, part, etc. are all designed by Ford Engineers, from idea to product, nothing is borrowed. The deal is about the fact that the technologies are similar, not that they're the same or borrowed. Also, this is done all the time, the same tech, developed by two different routes/companies and with agreements that they don't argue about it. Toyota, GM, Ford, they all have all sorts of agreements like that all time.

Everything on the FEH is original. Something like 135 patents, all Ford. Nothing Toyota has designed or engineered is on the FEH.

The fact that people claim the FEH is Toyota tech is a bit of a sore issue with them, and a pretty harsh jab at the engineers who worked hard inventing that tech.

Old 10-17-2005, 03:39 PM
Green Missionary

Since the bad old days of the "Big Three," the auto industry has had an "open patent" on technology. This is, in fact, what got all the auto companies into trouble over the variable windshield wiper. One thought they developed it, other manufacturers picked it up - only to find out that a non-automotive patent already existed.

I believe Ford when they say that they developed their hybrid technology independent of Toyota. But I also firmly believe that their work went much more quickly because Toyota had already blazed the trail (GM pun intended?).

The Russians, for example, claimed they developed their space shuttle independently of the already existing US one. Even if true, they knew a trail had been marked even if they only walked alongside it.

It seems to me that there is enough credit to go around. Thanks, Toyota, for being in front for full hybrid technology. Thanks, Ford, for developing it in a new type of vehicle. Thanks, Honda, for being the first on the US road with a hybrid. I'm glad you are competing with each other, and not some johnny-come-lately's.

Old 10-17-2005, 03:41 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by ProPhotoGA
To be more accurate Ford did not license anything from Toyota. They signed an agreement that basically said that while both technologies are similar they will not sue each other. Ford's Hybrid technology was designed by Volvo(which is owned by Ford).

Again, while they are similar they were developed totally separate. There are many articles on this site as well as the yahoo group.
Thanks for the info! I wonder if this means we can look forward to a Volvo turbo/diesel/hybrid station wagon? I've heard Volvo's can withstand being hit by a meteor, heh heh.

Old 10-18-2005, 12:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It's funny though that Ford recently tried to 'blame' Toyota for a lack of hardware, specifically the transmission when they wanted to increase production of the FEH!

The reason? It's made by a company in Japan that Toyota partly owns. The Prius II transmission is built by Toyota directly, but the HH/RX is still being made by Aisin along with Ford's.

Quick Reply: Ford Motor Co. plans to speed up hybrid vehicle production

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands