Ford Motor Co. plans to speed up hybrid vehicle production

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford Motor Co. plans to speed up hybrid vehicle production

"It's funny though that Ford recently tried to 'blame' Toyota for a lack of hardware, specifically the transmission when they wanted to increase production of the FEH!

The reason? It's made by a company in Japan that Toyota partly owns. The Prius II transmission is built by Toyota directly, but the HH/RX is still being made by Aisin along with Ford's."

So you think that the Japanese companies don't employ tactics such as that to control markets? Ha ha - now THAT's funny! It's called "Keiretsu", and it's the norm.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
foreigner.pdf (18.8 KB, 152 views)
Old 10-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Early Adopter

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
Thanks for the info! I wonder if this means we can look forward to a Volvo turbo/diesel/hybrid station wagon? I've heard Volvo's can withstand being hit by a meteor, heh heh.
Don't hold your breath.

Volvo has been heading in the opposite direction for years, each new model has worse MPG than the one it replaces. When their "small" car (S40/V50) went from a 4 cylinder to a 5 cylinder engine and they put a V8 in the XC90 I knew they had completely given up on producing efficient vehicles, at least for the North American market.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:16 AM
Early Adopter

(edited to get the name right)

Actually the idea for this type of hybrid drive was originally developed in the US in the 1970s. The engineer who did the work just passed away a couple months ago, His name was Victor Wouk. He took a conventional Buick Skylark and put a Wankel rotary engine along with an electric motor to meet an EPA challenge. EPA killed the project however under somewhat mysterious circumstances.

He was way ahead of his time, we needed the computational muscle and the modern high-power AC motor controllers to be miniaturized before anyone could do a production car.

Originally Posted by John M. Dwyer
Since the bad old days of the "Big Three," the auto industry has had an "open patent" on technology. This is, in fact, what got all the auto companies into trouble over the variable windshield wiper. One thought they developed it, other manufacturers picked it up - only to find out that a non-automotive patent already existed.

I believe Ford when they say that they developed their hybrid technology independent of Toyota. But I also firmly believe that their work went much more quickly because Toyota had already blazed the trail (GM pun intended?).

The Russians, for example, claimed they developed their space shuttle independently of the already existing US one. Even if true, they knew a trail had been marked even if they only walked alongside it.

It seems to me that there is enough credit to go around. Thanks, Toyota, for being in front for full hybrid technology. Thanks, Ford, for developing it in a new type of vehicle. Thanks, Honda, for being the first on the US road with a hybrid. I'm glad you are competing with each other, and not some johnny-come-lately's.

Last edited by stevewa; 10-18-2005 at 11:20 AM.