Heat in EV on 09 FEH - How does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:27 AM
Active Enthusiast
Location: New Jersey. Land of high auto insurance and pollution.
Default Heat in EV on 09 FEH - How does it work?

Hey guys,
Been a while since I've been here. We just hit 40K miles on our 09 FEH Limited and for the most part been problem free. Love this truck and the lifetime FE average of 36.4 MPG.

Last year we had all 3 actuator doors replaced, rear failed completely and the 2 front where making whirring and clicking sounds. Now that fall has fully hit NJ and we are starting to use the heat I have noticed that the heat gets very chilly when we enter EV. I know that the amount of heat coming out of the vents should drop a little when we enter EV but it just feels like it drops way to much, almost non existent. How does the heater work in EV, is there an electric coolant pump or something? If so, where is it, how can I test it to make sure its working?

TIA

Old 11-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Default Re: Heat in EV on 09 FEH - How does it work?

Originally Posted by twolostminds
Hey guys,
Been a while since I've been here. We just hit 40K miles on our 09 FEH Limited and for the most part been problem free. Love this truck and the lifetime FE average of 36.4 MPG.

Last year we had all 3 actuator doors replaced, rear failed completely and the 2 front where making whirring and clicking sounds. Now that fall has fully hit NJ and we are starting to use the heat I have noticed that the heat gets very chilly when we enter EV. I know that the amount of heat coming out of the vents should drop a little when we enter EV but it just feels like it drops way to much, almost non existent. How does the heater work in EV, is there an electric coolant pump or something? If so, where is it, how can I test it to make sure its working?

TIA
Check your fuse to the EV heater pump first (both 10A #14 & #27 in the battery junction box under the hood), but it sounds like the pump stop working when you go EV. It's the smaller electric pump under the radiator and only runs while in EV. The other electric pump near there is the electronics coolant pump. I have heard the heater pumps go bad from other posters. To check the pump, you can hear or feel it running while in EV.

GaryG

Old 11-10-2011, 07:37 AM
Active Enthusiast
Location: New Jersey. Land of high auto insurance and pollution.
Default Re: Heat in EV on 09 FEH - How does it work?

Originally Posted by GaryG
Check your fuse to the EV heater pump first (both 10A #14 & #27 in the battery junction box under the hood), but it sounds like the pump stop working when you go EV. It's the smaller electric pump under the radiator and only runs while in EV. The other electric pump near there is the electronics coolant pump. I have heard the heater pumps go bad from other posters. To check the pump, you can hear or feel it running while in EV.

GaryG
Thanks Gary, I'll check the fuses today when the wife gets home.