Help for fuel gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Enthusiast
Default Help for fuel gauge problem

I have a 2008 FEH with about 15K miles and just this past Friday, when I refueled, the fuel gauge registered 3/4 full snd MTE was 291. The problem is that I had refueled after having the low fuel light on for two days (it was at 6 miles to empty) when I filled up.

The car took 13.589 gallons, so I know it is full, but such a low MTE is bothering me. Is there any way to reset it or force a recalculation, or am I stuck with needing a dealer visit? I've searched online, but can find no mention of this anywhere. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Default Re: Help for fuel gauge problem

Originally Posted by gerric
I have a 2008 FEH with about 15K miles and just this past Friday, when I refueled, the fuel gauge registered 3/4 full snd MTE was 291. The problem is that I had refueled after having the low fuel light on for two days (it was at 6 miles to empty) when I filled up.

The car took 13.589 gallons, so I know it is full, but such a low MTE is bothering me. Is there any way to reset it or force a recalculation, or am I stuck with needing a dealer visit? I've searched online, but can find no mention of this anywhere. Thanks in advance.
Chances are your fuel gauge float got stuck or the arm got bent somehow. I would let the fuel start to drop on the gauge and refuel to check if the problem corrects itself. This would be the only way to try to correct the MTE reading. My gauge has stuck below full before, but after driving around it came loose and read the correct reading.

If the problem continues, a visit to the dealer is in order to replace the fuel pump assembly in the tank. I'd use as much of the gas in the tank after showing the problem to the service adviser to make it easier on the TECH to drain the tank.

GaryG

Old 08-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Help for fuel gauge problem

Thanks Gary. I was hoping you would be around, 'cause I knew you could help. BTW, congrats on the new 09 FEH, I'm "green" with envy.