Help with Tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Greenie
Default Re: Help with Tire

Regarding DOT date codes... what is the true significance of the date? IE: if manufactured in the 4th week of 08, to use your example of 0408, what is the expected safety life of the tire past that date? I've heard about this warning when shopping for tires before but can't recall what the safety range life is exactly...

Old 09-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

From experience, I've actually noticed the 'cheaper' tires tend to ride better, but are much less resilient to uneven wear and typically don't last very long... there are exceptions however.

0408 = 4th week of 2008.. 4501 = 45th week of 2001..

There are a lot of factors regarding the age of tires. If the tires were stored away from UV light (sunlight) at a cool, dry temperature they can theoretically last for decades.. the problem is how many tires do you know being stored like this?

There has been some media hype going around to be aware of the age of the tires you purchase. Rubber 'cures' over time (dries out) and gets harder, which can cause it to fail easier than a fresh one. This was in my opinion a big reason for the Firestone fiasco with the Explorers awhile back. The tread was lasting forever, and the sidewalls were giving out (it has plenty of tread left... why replace it?). Add in a low recommended pressure, and the stresses an SUV puts on it... well BAM! Anyways, that's a discussion for another thread at another time though..

I'd say if the tires are less than three years old, you should be fine.

It is good practice for everyone to do a close inspection of their tires though for dry-rot cracking. This will be in the form of small 'surface cracks' that tends to form on the sidewalls (especially on the corners where the tread meets the sidewall) and in between the tread blocks. If you find this to be present, regardless of tread depth, you should start saving up for a new set, especially before temperature extremes start to develop (hot summers or cold winters).

If you see the cracks are wide enough to actually see the layer of rubber inside them, then replace your tires ASAP.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Enthusiast

mine had a 2908
so i guess thats the 29th week of 2008. Thats pretty new....

Old 09-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Cool.. you should be good to go... drive on them until they are bald (or noisy) then get a new set.

Enjoy!