Hybrid Haters

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid Haters

Originally Posted by jworth
It all goes back to what YOU consider reasonable. You say 55mph when everyone else is driving 65 or over is reasonable. What if some guy in scooter wanted to drive it on there and was going 35? Yeah sure there is a law that prohibits him from being there, but that's not the point. All that does is shift the idea of what is reasonable away from the individual onto some regulatory body. I think it is unreasonable to unnecessarily impede traffic when you do have a choice. If you don't want to drive that fast and are so worried about fuel mileage, then drive on the other roads where you'll get better economy anyway. JMHO.
I was not impeding traffic. There were two free lanes to my left that were fully available for anyone wanting to go 65 or faster. Are you from Michigan too?

Old 10-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've lived in AR almost my entire life though I can't imagine how that's relevant. Look, traffic flows best when everyone travels around the same rate of speed. The freeways were built specifically to avoid unnecessary slow downs. You do have alternatives. You can keep doing what you're doing and complain about it, you can just shut up and deal with the fact that driving like that is only going to **** people off, or you can choose other roads.

Last edited by jworth; 10-20-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jworth
I've lived in AR almost my entire life though I can't imagine how that's relevant. Look, traffic flows best when everyone travels around the same rate of speed. The freeways were built specifically to avoid unnecessary slow downs. You do have alternatives. You can keep doing what you're doing and complain about it, you can just shut up and deal with the fact that driving like that is only going to **** people off, or you can choose other roads.
Driving like what? Are you actually saying that driving 55 on a freeway with speed limit of 65mph is in any way wrong? Trucks have a speed limit of 55mph on 880. So by definition this is a multi-use freeway and is expected to have slower traffic on it, as are virtually all freeways in CA. That said, I am not pissed off about the folks who come up behind me, change lanes and pass me, then merge a respectable distance in front of me. They may have ill thoughts about my driving style, but they are citizens who understand that I am free to drive at any speed between 45mph and 65mph on the freeway legally, and they are free to use the passing lanes as they see fit. It's the ones who endanger my life by tailgating, driving recklessly, or with road rage that I am complaining about, and I can not believe that anyone on this Forum would disagree with me.

RayP

Old 10-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RayP
Driving like what? Are you actually saying that driving 55 on a freeway with speed limit of 65mph is in any way wrong? Trucks have a speed limit of 55mph on 880. So by definition this is a multi-use freeway and is expected to have slower traffic on it, as are virtually all freeways in CA. That said, I am not pissed off about the folks who come up behind me, change lanes and pass me, then merge a respectable distance in front of me. They may have ill thoughts about my driving style, but they are citizens who understand that I am free to drive at any speed between 45mph and 65mph on the freeway legally, and they are free to use the passing lanes as they see fit. It's the ones who endanger my life by tailgating, driving recklessly, or with road rage that I am complaining about, and I can not believe that anyone on this Forum would disagree with me.

RayP
Funny, you complain about others and Road Rage yet you attempted to follow the woman just because you were "P O'd" and "you were going to give her a lecture" when you caught her..... Sounds like you are the one with a bit of a Road Rage problem.

What were you going to do if you caught up to her to lecture her and she pulled out a handgun to protect herself from a road rage lunatic? Happens.... Is this something worth dying for?

When I drive on the highway I drive to survive. If that means keeping up with traffic so be it. In the long run what are you actually saving in fuel economy if you have to put your life at risk to attain it? Just because it says you can drive 45MPH doesn't mean that is an intelligent thing to do.

A bit of common sense sometimes goes a long way.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by RayP
Speed Limit 55. I was on cruise control in the 2nd lane of 4, and traffic was not heavy so I was at the limit, with people passing me on the left and right.

Again, I was on cruise control at 55mph....

RayP

Keep in mind the FEH speedo reads about 2 MPH high.

Your 55 MPH was likely only 53 MPH to a cop with a radar gun,....
Still within your rights.... just sayin.....

Old 10-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Green Monster
Funny, you complain about others and Road Rage yet you attempted to follow the woman just because you were "P O'd" and "you were going to give her a lecture" when you caught her..... Sounds like you are the one with a bit of a Road Rage problem.

What were you going to do if you caught up to her to lecture her and she pulled out a handgun to protect herself from a road rage lunatic? Happens.... Is this something worth dying for?

When I drive on the highway I drive to survive. If that means keeping up with traffic so be it. In the long run what are you actually saving in fuel economy if you have to put your life at risk to attain it? Just because it says you can drive 45MPH doesn't mean that is an intelligent thing to do.

A bit of common sense sometimes goes a long way.
Agreed, following her was over the top, and I am glad the traffic lights favored her and separated us. I was wondering when someone was going to point that out. So many folks were focused on trying to tell me that my driving 55 in a 65 zone was wrong that they missed that point. However, I was actually pissed off enough at the situation to take it to the next step. As I said, I was more upset that I had been in a couple years. I normally drive to survive as well, but this was just too blatant an act of aggression on her part to go unforgiven. Luckily it didn't end in the worst case scenario.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Enthusiast

Hey, the BA doesn't have the claim to ********. Here in Colorado Springs I kept getting tailgated in the right lane for doing 58 in a 55 zone and flipped off when I tapped on the brake. Now I take the attitude "I've got 2 speeds. You don't don't like this one? You're sure as H not going to like the other one."

Last edited by liderbug; 10-20-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by liderbug
Hey, the BA doesn't have the claim to ********. Here in Colorado Springs I kept getting tailgated in the right lane for doing 58 in a 55 zone and flipped off when I tapped on the brake. Now I take the attitude "I've got 2 speeds. You don't don't like this one? You're sure as H not going to like the other one."