Hypermiling in the FEH

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 05:24 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.
Default Re: Hypermiling in the FEH

Mike,

A couple of questions on the AC converter, if you don't mind. If you want I can start another thread:

I assume that you have the "built in AC power port", correct?
Does that drain off of the big battery? Do you have a safe guard to assure there is enough juice to start the ICE? Or do you carry a spare power jumper?
If I don't have the built in power port, can I do the same from the DC power ports?

Thanks!

Old 07-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have moved this discussion to a new thread about AC Power Questions.

Thanks Zad.

Old 07-09-2005, 07:46 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

Back to hypermiling the FEH...

We are now consistently getting in the 32 mpg range, mostly local driving, a bit of highway. I am completely satisfied with that, but I am looking to push it a bit more.

Suprisingly, the tires were close to sidewall maximum when I checked them out, I was able to push them only a couple of pounds each. The A/C doesn't seem to hit the FE on the FEH as it does on my HCH, which is a blessing, because my wife just puts it on and forgets it.

I am going to look at the air filter this weekend, just to make sure it is not clogged. Otherwise, I can't change my wife's driving habits, but she does have the bug for getting good FE, so I feed her tips, trying to set her up to succeed.

Old 07-09-2005, 08:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

AC will lose you 2-3 MPG. The key to getting better mileage is once you have used up some gas (or EV, but to get the EV you had to use gas) to gain forward momentum you must do everything possible to keep moving or get back some of the momentum by putting it into the battery for future use. That means keeping the speed down. I think the sweet spot is 40-50 MPH with a very light foot. Watch way ahead and if there is a slow down or stop coming up start coasting early and let your foot ride the brakes without braking. Leave an extra amount of distance between you and the car ahead for coasting.

I just do not think there is much you can do in modifying the car itself (other than less weight) to get better mileage.

Old 07-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Post Re: Hypermiling in the FEH

Originally Posted by sdctcher
AC will lose you 2-3 MPG. The key to getting better mileage is once you have used up some gas (or EV, but to get the EV you had to use gas) to gain forward momentum you must do everything possible to keep moving or get back some of the momentum by putting it into the battery for future use. That means keeping the speed down. I think the sweet spot is 40-50 MPH with a very light foot. Watch way ahead and if there is a slow down or stop coming up start coasting early and let your foot ride the brakes without braking. Leave an extra amount of distance between you and the car ahead for coasting.

I just do not think there is much you can do in modifying the car itself (other than less weight) to get better mileage.
Mike,
I concur with your comment regarding A/C use above. It has been in the 90s here in DC for the last month and I am struggling to maintain 28mpg....whereas before I was in the 29-31mpg range(two tanks prior). No change in my driving habits...but even with the engine shutoff(AC with recirc--no engine)...the fan speed#4 really saps the power in the battery. It really hurts the city driving....haven't noticed as drastic of an effect on the highway.

Nate

Old 07-10-2005, 07:30 PM

Nate, I find that after you get the inside of the FEH cool on max, turn it on normal recircle with no more than the 2nd fan speed. The cool air left in the system last longer in EV and the coil retains it cool longer. I find that if I use 3 & 4 speeds it just gets hoter faster without the compressor and blows heat. Also, try turning the A/C off (O) just before you get to the EV mode. While I wait for a long lights or long periods in EV mode, it starts getting warm. At that point, I turn it back to normal recircle and get that reserve blast of cold air on the 2nd fan speed with the ICE still off. I use the higher fan speed just to clean the hot air from FEH while the ICE and compressor is on only.

This system I use let me stay cooler and run in the EV mode longer in city driving. When I'm on the highway, I draft when I can with the A/C on. This combination give me MPG in the mid to upper 30's.

Old 07-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

I probably should start another thread for this question. My car has begun to really smell bad when I turn on the AC. Almost like a wet doggy. In the workshop manual there is a procedure for deodorizing it and I will be taking my car in Friday to have this done. I think I may have a rampant case of mildew in the system. Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

Old 07-11-2005, 09:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have gotten the same complaint from my woman. I have not smelled it myself, but when the floor mats were wet it sometimes smeeled nasty.

Chris Brown

Old 07-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sdctcher
I probably should start another thread for this question. My car has begun to really smell bad when I turn on the AC. Almost like a wet doggy. In the workshop manual there is a procedure for deodorizing it and I will be taking my car in Friday to have this done. I think I may have a rampant case of mildew in the system. Has anyone else had this kind of problem?
Mine smells like rubber tires when I first turn it on. I thought that is was a new car smell thing but it has not gone away yet. (6 mo.)