I want to modify the Escape Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default I want to modify the Escape Hybrid

I really want to find a way to modify my Escape hybrid to get more mpg.
I've seen this by http://afstrinity.com/ that shows they have figured it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v09_uTp08zg
It says in the video, that all parts can be bought of the shelf.
I would love the help to mod my Escape Hybrid.
Thank you.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I want to modify the Escape Hybrid

For city FE improvement your best bet is an oxygen tank or oxygen "generator" plumbed into the intake just ahead of the throttle plate. Richer atmospheric oxygen content, lower pumping losses, and the engine will consistently run at a lower speed, RPM, less friction.

For hwy FE improvement a Supercharger would be your best bet, no need to rely on the hybrid battery for acceleration thereby no need to later recharge the battery using the ICE.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you. I'm looking at all options. Yet, I'm most interested in doing what afstrinity is doing.
If anyone can provide part names and numbers would be very helpful. From what little I have read about, they use a capacitor to store up a charge to be used for acceleration, a larger electric motor/generator for more power, and a higher capacity battery.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Curmudgeon

As an owner of a 2011 FEH with Enginer 4kwh battery system, I think this is realistic only if money is no object. I have been quoted $10K+ to install batteries that will do exactly this while my $3K system allows me to get 40+mpg overall (city and highway). In some states there is a tax credit (ie here in Colorado) but even with that your ROI for this type of a system is decades. Plus you have to factor in weather in your environment. When it's cold, the batteries work very minimally and result in a 20%+ drop in mpg - probably more with a system like this that is more dependent on the batteries functioning at peak output.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: I want to modify the Escape Hybrid

Originally Posted by CowboyHybrid
Thank you. I'm looking at all options. Yet, I'm most interested in doing what afstrinity is doing.
If anyone can provide part names and numbers would be very helpful. From what little I have read about, they use a capacitor to store up a charge to be used for acceleration, a larger electric motor/generator for more power, and a higher capacity battery.
This can be done to our trucks with a conversion to lithium-ion batteries and a plug in charging system...........but not with some COTS 'capacitors' or other parts you get at the hardware store. Don't forget these trucks are driven by computer (and computer software).
Patience, and perhaps someone will market conversion kits for the existing NiMH vehicles.
If you are in a hurry, you can purchase one right now at your Toyota dealer, they have a plug-in version of the Prius.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Enthusiast

The way I look at this is that it's better to convert than buy a new one. A better use of our planets resources.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hey Cowboy, I'd love to also. Are you near that outfit, or do you know any of the people? That video was posted back in 08, so they may have disappeared by now. I don't trust the auto industry, but I don't really know what's feasible. I strongly feel that Ford was far too conservative with my Escape, and has made a few changes in recent models proving my skepticism about their needless running of the ICE. Battery utilization is pretty lame, but now that they're messing with LiPoly they'll once again start from the point of penny pinching on the capacity of the pack and then babying it. I doubt that any of "the majors" will ever build a Hybrid which could easily have it's battery and charging system upgraded or modified. The charging and utilization is entirely controlled by custom built digital process controllers using ROM based "programs", which also control other parts/systems of the vehicle. This is a hybrid as far as "drive-by-wire" is concerned too.

Old 06-19-2021, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast

If enough people are interested, there is a BMS system replacement that would support a larger lithium battery pack and plug in charging. It is fully integrated into the car.

Old 06-19-2021, 05:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I looked to see what it would take for a lithium piggyback or bigger/better batteries. As far as I could find all of the companies developing either ditched the escape or completely went out of business. If you have something still sold/build-able, by all means share.

Old 06-19-2021, 06:15 PM
Enthusiast

Elithion had made a custom software version of their BMS to work with the escape hybrid. Last I contacted them, they were willing to sell the BMS with the escape software, but would need a minimum order of 10.

https://www.elithion.com/phev.php

Quick Reply: I want to modify the Escape Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands