Instrument Panel Display Cover Discoloring

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Instrument Panel Display Cover Discoloring

The plastic display cover on my dash that covers the instrument panel on our 2008 FEH seems to be discoloring around the edges. Initially I thought it was just smudges on the outside but when I wiped it, I could clearly see it's discoloring from the inside. It's mainly around the edges and is working its way in gradually. Has anyone else expericenced this issue?

I called my dealer and next week I am going to bring it in. He said they will take a photo of the issue, send it to Ford who will then decide based on the photo if they will cover the replacement cost. I can't imagine this would even show up in a photo.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Instrument Panel Display Cover Discoloring

I haven't looked in that area very closely on my 08. I'll take a look tomorrow when there's more light.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks....Although you can see it all the time if you really look closely, mine is the most noticable mainly when the sun it at its steepest angle (sunrise & sunset).

Old 01-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Certain types of cleaners, solvents, "Armor All" etc. will do this.

Do not clean ( especially clear plastics ) with any of them, or the lens will "fog". Is this what you see?

I hardly ever clean mine... and it's clear as new after 4 years.
-John

Old 01-12-2009, 04:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Certain types of cleaners, solvents, "Armor All" etc. will do this.

Do not clean ( especially clear plastics ) with any of them, or the lens will "fog". Is this what you see?

I hardly ever clean mine... and it's clear as new after 4 years.
-John
That's kind of what I see.....but I have not used anything other than a micro fiber rag on it (no cleaning solutions).

Old 01-12-2009, 05:50 AM

I took a close look at my 08 and there is no sign of discoloration/fogging.

Incidentally, I do use Armor All and I've never had trouble with the plastics on my other vehicles. Just lucky, I guess.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Brought the car to the dealer on Friday. They took a photo of the damage, e-mailed it to FORD and FORD denied the claim for replacement stating that the damage was on the outside of the cover and was caused by something I used on it to clean it (even though I have never used anything to clean the cover other than a dry microfiber rag). Dealer took the cover off and sure enough, the fogging WAS on the outside. They could replace if for about $150. I declined so they suggested I try a Meguiar's product called PlastX. It is spposed to remove fine scratches and fogging from plastic surfaces. I was skeptical but for $5 at Walmart I figured what the heck. I tried it and it worked! It buffed right out. No more discoloration.

Last edited by Sascol; 01-20-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: Instrument Panel Display Cover Discoloring

Originally Posted by Sascol
.... I try a Maggure's product called PlastX. It is spposed to remove fine scratches and fogging from plastic surfaces. I was skeptical but for $5 at Walmart I figured what the heck. I tried it and it worked! It buffed right out. No more discoloration.
Good to know! AND Glad it worked for you. I've always like the Maggure's brand. I'll have to lock that info away if I ever need this fix or one like it.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

This is the stuff....

http://www.meguiars.com/estore/produ...ectionID=15101

Old 01-21-2009, 08:40 AM

I've used this stuff along with a buffer to remove the yellow discoloration/fogging on my Mustang headlights. Works great but the yellow haze returns. I don't think that is the products fault but the type of plastic that was used. I expect that you're experience will be better since it's on the inside of the vehicle and shouldn't get as much direct light (I'm thinking it's the UV light that causes the problem).

Good to know that I already have the solution if my FEH clock cover does the same as yours.

Quick Reply: Instrument Panel Display Cover Discoloring

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands