Intermittent Rattle from Cluster Area

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Feral Engineer
Default Intermittent Rattle from Cluster Area

Has anyone experienced an intermittent rattle from the dash cluster area? On my 2007 FEH, it seems to be loud sometimes and not there at all other times - independent of temperature. The tone is like tapping on a brittle sheet of plastic. The rattle is excited by road input - it is not an electrical or engine induced sound.

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Enthusiast
Cool Re: Intermittent Rattle from Cluster Area

I get noises from the dashboard, more towards the passenger side. Even when not moving it happens. I just ignore it.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Intermittent Rattle from Cluster Area

Originally Posted by ve7tcc
I get noises from the dashboard, more towards the passenger side. Even when not moving it happens. I just ignore it.
Does it sound something like halfway between a solenoid opening/closing rapidly and bubbling liquid?

Old 06-05-2008, 06:04 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by AA2070
Does it sound something like halfway between a solenoid opening/closing rapidly and bubbling liquid?
No, the sound is like if you took a piece of really brittle plastic, like what the face of the cluster window is made of, and tapped it with a hard object. Obviously I've looked for something hitting, but it may be coming from beneath the IP.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Enthusiast

I have the same sound-it drives my wife crazy. Interested to know what the cause is and what the fix action might be.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

My 2008 has just developed a similar rattle coming from the area around or behind the cluster, very intermittent, usually when cold, and I am hoping it will go away on it's own so I don't have to take it in. I really hate rattles

Old 06-16-2008, 05:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've had some bad dash rattles in my 08. Mine also sounded like brittle plastic and it took me forever to narrow the location down to the bottom-most trim panel around where the cigarette/DC outlet and audio aux jack are.

The dealer hasn't been much help at all on this. While it is very intermittent and difficult to make rattle "on demand," it is very annoying once it does start. Even after I showed the dealer exactly where the rattle was and explained that if I pressed one side of that trim panel in, the rattling stopped, they couldn't fix it.

So anyway, I bought some small plastic rubber pads, the kind you put on the back of picture frames or under table lamps, and pushed those in around the edges of the trim panel and along with a folded business card for the tighter spaces and the rattling seems to have stopped.

When in doubt, look to MacGyver.

-todd

Old 06-16-2008, 07:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by travelover
Has anyone experienced an intermittent rattle from the dash cluster area? On my 2007 FEH, it seems to be loud sometimes and not there at all other times - independent of temperature. The tone is like tapping on a brittle sheet of plastic. The rattle is excited by road input - it is not an electrical or engine induced sound.

Thanks in advance for any hints.
I just started getting that exact rattle, and couldn't describe it any better than you did. It started on a 200 mile trip on Saturday, but was completely absent on the return trip. I was feeling all over the dash area to try and isolate it but no success. Almost sounds like a CD rattling in the radio. I'm sure it will be back

Old 06-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sounds like a few of us will be installing special, rattle reducing materials into edges of the trim panels...

Old 06-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

08 FWD, 18K, no rattles... thank goodness

Quick Reply: Intermittent Rattle from Cluster Area

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands