iPod display/control from NAV system

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 02:44 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default iPod display/control from NAV system

I am working on an iPod interface to allow iPod control and song/artist/album info display from the NAV unit. I have made an ACP interface to allow me to retrieve and decode the ACP messages sent to/from the NAV head unit. I think that I may be able to use the DVD player control software to display this info. The FEH did not come with a DVD option, but I think that the NAV head unit has the control software in it (go to the system information screen and press the HW button). Because the CDDJ control messages are the same for different Ford vehicles (CDDJs with 12 pin jacks anyway), I'm assuming that the factory DVD players will be the same. If anyone has any info on the Ford DVD players please let me know. I would just buy one if they didn't want $1000 for it.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 08-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: iPod display/control from NAV system

I'd be really interested in something like this! I have the Pioner DDX7017 double-din LCD in my 'scape and have an aux-in with video and audio inputs. If I could connect a device to the iPod that would display the song title and info from the dock connector to the A/V inputs, that would be great!

Some day though, I'll buy a iPod Photo and be able to view a slideshow on the screen...

Old 08-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey Mike,

I just sent you an email, but I'm also very interrested in this. If you don't mind sharing the info, I would love to get the details of your setup. Mostly because it's cool, but also because I've been wanting to do something like this.

I tried one of the wired FM modulators, and it was horrible. No treble. A direction connection would be ideal, and I actually want to keep my cd player connected.

Anyway, I'd love to hear about your efforts!

-salsbr

Old 08-30-2005, 01:11 AM
Early Adopter

If you pull this off I'm sure there'd be a market for a kit...

Originally Posted by mppkll
I am working on an iPod interface to allow iPod control and song/artist/album info display from the NAV unit. I have made an ACP interface to allow me to retrieve and decode the ACP messages sent to/from the NAV head unit. I think that I may be able to use the DVD player control software to display this info. The FEH did not come with a DVD option, but I think that the NAV head unit has the control software in it (go to the system information screen and press the HW button). Because the CDDJ control messages are the same for different Ford vehicles (CDDJs with 12 pin jacks anyway), I'm assuming that the factory DVD players will be the same. If anyone has any info on the Ford DVD players please let me know. I would just buy one if they didn't want $1000 for it.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 08-30-2005, 07:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

I wont be sure if I can do it until I get more information on the ACP messages for the DVD player and how the information is displayed. I can now control the iPod with the CD controls but since the CD does not support CD-Text (That I can see) there is no information display.