Just bought 2010 Escape Hybrid with Battery Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 11:52 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Just bought 2010 Escape Hybrid with Battery Issues

You are unlikely to bridge a capacitor with just your finger btw. A tool yes and you will probably burn it. If you get the ford deal, save all the infos.

Old 05-20-2021, 07:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lorne William Hengst
3. Totally unrelated to the topic at hand: In the ATSG blog they said "It uses a damper plate assembly instead of a torque converter" which I found interesting, only because I hadn't heard of such a thing. Google helped me sort out what they were talking about: https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resource...at-s-the-story
ATSG is correct. This car does not have a torque converter. The output of the ICE crankshaft is connected to the hybrid transaxle with a splined shaft and the damper plate assembly. Very tired tonight, I'll explain more tomorrow. But basically it is a disc with some springs that can move and is tuned so that it smooths out vibration caused by the constant torque fluctuations of the inline four cylinder engine's crankshaft. In other words it makes the driveline much smoother.

You can imagine that the angular velocity of the 4-cylinder engine's crankshaft does not just vary according to overall engine RPM, which is actually an "average". Even at a constant RPM, the angular velocity (if you slow time down) also varies (like a pulse, but from each cylinder) because there is an explosion (I know, it's really burning very quickly, not "exploding") that occurs in each cylinder as the spark plug fires, which tends to rapidly accelerate the crankshaft while the combustion pressure in any cylinder is high. So even at a "constant" RPM, the crankshaft is actually "pulsing." This causes all kinds of interesting things to happen! Also, as the video below shows, there is a difference between "combustion torque" and "inertial torque" due to the change in angular velocity of the crankshaft due to the phasing of the crankshaft "throws."

This engine does not use a "cross-plane" crankshaft to "tame" or dampen those vibrations - it uses a damper plate instead.

Take a look at this video and I think you'll get the idea of why this is necessary:

Go out to about 2 minutes.

Last edited by AlexK; 05-21-2021 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShadyEscape
Whatever I have in my MEK is obviously not leading to overheat. So as long as it's not rusting everything up it should be ok for a few more weeks. I assume they don't want people trying green antifreeze in there.

I read somewhere LV has less friction. They probably developed a better fluid and went with it. The BSG ford tech youtube said to buy 7 qts and now I see 4.3/5.3. Guess I'll find out. What stops you from using LV in the older cars? That's the real question. Other fords let you upgrade to mercon V from previous fluids too.
Mercon LV is NOT compatible with Mercon V or any other fluid. You do not want to put LV in a transmission that has been running on V.

Old 05-21-2021, 09:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Read they just keep dropping the viscosity with each new generation. V then LV then ULV. That would account for the incompatibility I assume.

But with these cars, here's the rub. What changed on the eCVT between 1st and second gen. And why does BSG recommend mercon V in 2008 transmissions. According to ford the eCVT is different in the middle of 08.