Just Wasted $300 Trying to Fix The AC :( Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 10:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Just Wasted $300 Trying to Fix The AC :( Please Help

there is the pourable form and of course you do not want that.
buy it in aerosol - but you will need a dispensing hose and i would definitely
use one that has a guage attached to it
there is pag 46, pag 100, and pag 150.
you need to know if your system was rebuilt and if it was the case that ester oil was used.
some ac repair people (doing a rebuild) use ester oil instead of the pag (original) oil that was used.
If ester is in there - then you need to add ester oil.
If not, then use the pag oil that is recommended for your vehicle.
The 250 ml that i posted above is wrong.
the smallest can is usually 3 ounces - if that does not work then one has to install the control scroll valve that is mentioned above.

Old 06-06-2020, 04:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

if the additional oil does not work;
link to scroll control valve:

http://techchoiceparts.com/inventory...-control-valve

Old 06-08-2020, 04:16 AM
Enthusiast

Not to rain on anyone's parade but I seriously doubt adding oil is going to do anything except cause to you spend a few bucks on the oil and end up with an oil overcharge which lowers your systems' efficiency. The valve, after many miles gets dirty/sticky and a little bit worn. Some people have pulled the valve and cleaned it with brake cleaner and claim it works but I cannot figure out why one would do that since you still have to recover the refrigerant r&r the valve then vacuum and recharge the system and the new part is cheap.
If adding PAG oil works for you great but don't get your hopes up

Old 06-08-2020, 02:07 PM
MrT
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ugmw177
Ok you really need to be servicing the system with a real manifold gauge set. The 08 system is very conventional with a belt driven compressor and "2 zone a/c" for the passenger compartment and the rear battery. It runs r134a and on a normalish day so 80 ambient, low side should read in the 40s and high side around 225. This should give you an evap temp of around 45-50 degrees. The only way to really know correct charge is to evacuate all refrigerant, pull a vacuum, then weigh in the new charge according to the underhood label for amount of charge. Now, with the 08 compressor on the FEH, there is a possibility of a stuck scroll control valve. Symptoms of this are: when the dash switch is set to max, and tems set to lowest setting [60 degrees], the air is cool but not cold; however, when you drive at highway speed, the air is markedly cooler but returns to just kind of cool at idle this may be your issue. Put a gauge set on it and if charge is correct [see weigh in above] but the low side reads high and the high side reads low, you can pretty much bet that the valve is the culprit. At that point you can either replace the compressor [$$$] or purchase the scroll control valve for less that $20 and replace it [problem is, the valve is installed in the back of the compressor held in by a plate secured by two bolts. You must evacuate the system prior to replacement. You then have to vacuum the system down and weigh a charge back in.
This is good stuff. What you describe sounds exactly like what our complaint has been with our 08 FEH (115k miles) for a few years (cools best on highway or moving say >35mph). We're about to sell it, so I'm not sure I want to fix it only to sell. If I was going to have a shop check the AC/pressures, can you tell me in a little more detail what they should be seeing for OK vs stuck scroll control (or, I guess, low charge)?

Old 06-08-2020, 06:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

ac work is that which i have the least experience in (and i am in texas of all places);
but i did find an ac checker to determine the quantity of pag oil;
have you heard of such a device (Or used it).
Guy in the video says it shows his to be a little low.
There is a one-man shop here where the mechanic will evacuate the system and change out
the 2 scrader valves (if i am calling them right - like in a tire valve stem) and refill for only 40.
I guess that it is common to lose a little freon over time from those 2 locations - and of course lose a little pag oil also.
dont know if it will link; goes by the name fupabox.

Last edited by fglaustin; 06-08-2020 at 09:40 PM. Reason: to add a link
Old 06-09-2020, 04:36 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrT
This is good stuff. What you describe sounds exactly like what our complaint has been with our 08 FEH (115k miles) for a few years (cools best on highway or moving say >35mph). We're about to sell it, so I'm not sure I want to fix it only to sell. If I was going to have a shop check the AC/pressures, can you tell me in a little more detail what they should be seeing for OK vs stuck scroll control (or, I guess, low charge)?
Cannot give you exact pressures as they vary with amount of charge and ambient temperatures but if system is low on refrigerant, low side gauge will read low and high side gauge will also read low. revving the engine will probably drop the low side further down but not have much effect on the high side.
If the scroll control valve is malfunctioning, you will see readings on the gauge set that at idle, low side rather high and high side is rather low but system functions normally otherwise except a/c cooling will be minimal at idle but much better at road speed. This is a pretty common problem for mid 2000s cars with the variable displacement scroll compressors.