Keypad entry?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 07:46 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner
Default Re: Keypad entry?

Originally Posted by Brady
What is the attraction to the keypads? You still need to carry a key, yes?
I like keypads! When the car is home, I like to keep it locked. When I need something from the car, I use the keypad,. Otherwise, I would need to go inside and get the key.

My experience is with several other Fords, I have yet to install a keypad on my 08 Escape Hybrid.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:01 AM

If you've never had one, you might think it's no big deal.

When my family goes shopping, to the beach etc., anyone could go to the car and open the doors at any time to put things in or take things out without a key. Many times we will lock and hide keys a purse or something in the car while we swim or go snorkeling when we can't carry the keys and things. Most of the time I use my keypad when I'm outside and don't have to go into the house to get my keys or the fob to get in to work on or clean the car. The big reason is you can never get locked out and never need to call a locksmith or wait to get in.

Both my vehicles have a keypad with the same number as my garage door. This makes it easy for all family members to remember and use. I got my keypad on ebay for $53 which included shipping, and I installed it in minutes.

My keypad for my old Stanley garage door opener is starting to act up and I'm getting it replaced ASAP. It's all about convenience for me and my family.

GaryG

Old 06-18-2007, 08:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I added my first keypad (a couple vehicles back) when I layed the keys down in the back, slammed the tailgate & effectively locked the keys in the truck causing my Wife to have to drive 15 miles to bring me a spare set.

I would never be without the KP now & use it all the time.

~John

Old 06-18-2007, 08:16 AM

Pretty much mimmininc everyone else's replies. It's nice when out in the yard and need something to just get it out of the car vs having to go inside to get the key first. Peace of mind of not being able to get locked out, I have 2 kids who love buttons. I can't think of a reason, but say I park, remove the key (as there is the keyminder option build in that will unlock the door if the key is left in the ignition) set the keys down to maybe beat a kid, then lock the doors. Now we're locked out. The kids know the combo so they can get their stuff in/out w/o a key. On the way to school they can let themselves to buckle up the carseat while we finish up in the house, locking doors whatever.
If you hide a spare key inside you can now move the car w/o having to go inside to get the keys (I live very ruraly, 800' from car to house) to mow around the driveway or whatever.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Just to add another response.

My profession is a fencing instructor. During the summer, I try to reduce the amount of additional items I need, since it's quite hot, and the Kevlar body armor that I wear doesn't exactly have pockets. Instead of fooling around with keys, I put the keys in the center console and lock the car with the keypad after I get the equipment out. Then after I'm done teaching, I use the keypad to open her up and put everything away. During the winter, I keep things like my cell phone, wallet, and keys in my inner coat pocket, but during the summer, I don't wear one, so I don't have anyplace to put it. Otherwise I'd have to fool around with trying to find a place to store my keys, hope they don't fall out or get stolen, and fiddle around to get them out after I did put them away.

Like others mentioned, my family can use the keypad to open her up when we're shopping or on vacation without having to find me and get the keys, and I can use it if my hands are full most times instead of putting something down, then getting the keyfob out of my pocket.

Also, I use it when I run short errands, I leave my FEH on, with the keys in the ignition, but in EV mode, use the keypad to lock the doors, run inside for whatever it is I have to do (Drop of rented videos, pick up my class roster at the University, etc.), then come back out, punch in the code, and EV away. (I only do this when I know I won't be long.)

I had it on my previous vehicle, and loved having it.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

Good points by all. Sounds like a keypad would be a bit handy!

Old 06-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Keypad entry?

Originally Posted by WaltPA
I wonder that too. My Mariner came with one, and I have yet to use it. I can't think of any case in my normal, day-to-day, life, where I would want to unlock the door, but never drive it.

If I ever had to use it, I would still need my keyfob to get inside, and get the keypad PIN paper out of the glove box.
I thought that at first too, "what would you need that for, you still need your keys?" Until i went out on a boat with my friend. He keeps his keys in the glovebox and locks the car using the key pad (the default to lock is pressing the (7.8) and the (9.0) buttons at the same time). That way he is out on the boat, and doesn't have to worry about losing his keys or lugging them around with him.

When we got back to the car, we just entered the code and the doors unlocked. Keys were there and we drove away.

I find this to be awesome especially in the summer when i have shorts and dont feel like lugging my keys around. When we go to baseball games, swimming, whatever. I do not have to worry about losing my keys, just rememeber a number and i am good to go.

I guess the downside is forgetting the code. But you could always get one of those key magnets that goes under the car and put the code there, but it is just like memorizing a PIN number. use it enough and you will not forget it.

That is my two cents on the keypad, i love it!!

Mark

Old 06-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Technology Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hybrid Labbett
I guess the downside is forgetting the code. But you could always get one of those key magnets that goes under the car and put the code there, but it is just like memorizing a PIN number. use it enough and you will not forget it.

That is my two cents on the keypad, i love it!!

Mark
You know you can set your own personal code that you can remember. It's in the user manual...

Old 06-22-2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Wbruff
You know you can set your own personal code that you can remember. It's in the user manual...
Right, but you need the original default code to do it.........

~John

Old 06-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Technology Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmorton10
Right, but you need the original default code to do it.........

~John
Well that's obvious. It came with the manual, but some people are not as well organized and tend to lose such things I guess.

Quick Reply: Keypad entry?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands