Kill Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Kill Switch?

Boy, wouldn't it be great to have a button that caused the computer to attempt engine off? Be a lot easier than trying to pull off a double tap without annoying the folks behind. Seems to me that it would also make it easier to get the thing to shut down each and every time that one dropped below 40.

Anyone have any thoughts about the feasability of wiring such a button?

Thanks!

Mark Mooney

Old 01-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Site Founder
Default Re: Kill Switch?

There is such a button, called an EV button (electric vehicle). It's available on the Prius in Japan but not in the US. We think it's probably because of legal or marketing reasons. Ford's hybrid system is similar to Toyota's so I'd assume it's possible. I've just never heard of it.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Technology Enthusiast

You could pretty easily do that but You'd then have to send an instruction to the engine control computer that would overide the watchdog instructions to prevent the car from going into a state of shutdown since it will see abnormal operation. You might also be tempted then to run the electric engine at higher than normal speeds and risk burning it out. As far as I'm concerned, the FEH runs fine the way it is. It's alot of money to repair the FEH when you void the warranty.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Nope, don't want to do that at all. What I WANT to do is say to the computer, can you please, given that the rest of the conditions are correct, turn of the engine now? by some more convenient means than by having to dance on the brake pedal.

MM

Old 01-03-2006, 10:40 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

It's been brought up several times, both here and at the FEH Experience. Should it become possible in the US, third generation hybrids will probably have it.