Lack of ability to Produce what they sell.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 09:46 AM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Post Re: Lack of ability to Produce what they sell.

This is simply law of supply and demand. It is not some vast conspiracy by the Ford Co.

Prius owners went through it. When I tried to buy my FEH in Dec of '04...the dealers in DC wanted $5k-7k OVER MSRP. They called it "market Adjustment" I called it BS. Best deal I could manage was $1,995 over MSRP. I walked out of a deal at the table (with the sales manager following me to parking lot) b/c they would not budge.

I began calling dealers left and right. I found one on Ford.com about 250mi away that had 4 on the lot. I asked for a quote, got MSRP. I left my name, # and said "I realize the mkt is hot right now...but if you decide you want to move some FEHs and can lower the price to invoice...call me and I'll drive down and buy one"

That dealer called back 2 months later. I drove down and bought one at invoice. Just my story..it always sucks to be in a hurry to buy something in high demand.

My .02 cents (don't take this personally), but I would NEVER, EVER, pay for a car I ordered in full. Because you've virtually given the dealer their 100%...they have no vested interest in delivering it to you. At least with a deposit or dealing for one on the lot...you can walk away.

Doesn't make good business sense to me, no matter how good the interest rate.

I also never buy vehicles in the summer either. I'm about the only guy who buys a new car in Feb. At that time of the year, esp if it's cold and dark...dealers are just hungry to make a deal.

Nate

Old 08-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Lack of ability to Produce what they sell.

Unforuntely, my truck lease was ending so I was compelled to do something in the summer. But I agree the best time is late december through march 1st.

If I would have recieved a discolsure when ordering it could be upwards of 9 monts I would have made the decision back then on what to do.

When I ordered, the dealer placed the order and then called. It was still 8-12 week time frame.

Right now if there are trully as many orders on the list as said, many people will get there new vehicles about the time the 2009's arrive.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Enthusiast

Well maybe by the time you get your hybrid mariner it will have the stability control built in.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hopefully traction control and that neat new IPOD/bluetooth interface!

Old 08-20-2007, 06:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Traction Control is already standard isn't it?

Old 08-20-2007, 07:09 AM
Enthusiast

As far as I know it's not standard or optional in the hybrid only on the non hybrid.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:17 AM
Enthusiast

The Hybrid does not have the same traction control system the non-hybrids do.

Copied from MercuryVehicles.com:
"This advanced feature can help you stay in control. The AdvanceTrac® electronic stability enhancement system* with class-exclusive Roll Stability Control (RSC®) automatically applies the brakes and modulates engine torque to help maintain control whenever it detects wheelslip, understeer or oversteer. It also helps maintain more control in adverse road conditions such as ice, gravel or rain.**

* Not available on Mariner Hybrid.
**Remember that even advanced technology cannot overcome the laws of physics. It’s always possible to lose control of a vehicle due to inappropriate driver input for the conditions. "

A 4wd is available as an option:
Intelligent 4WD System

The Intelligent 4WD System is always on the job. It monitors traction 200 times per second and automatically determines exactly how much torque to send to the rear wheels to minimize slip.

Originally Posted by KenG
Traction Control is already standard isn't it?

Old 08-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I'm sorry if this has already been said, I didn't have time to read all the posts, but wish to address the original post.

DID YOU SHOP AROUND!? Like other states I mean? Where do you live?

By driving a few hundred miles out of your way, you can probably drive away with the exact car you want, or a very, very, very close match, TODAY!

In early 2005, February 2005 to be exact, there were no FEH's I wanted, or for the price I wanted to pay in the entire state of Colorado. I was told it would take 16 weeks minimum to special order what I wanted, and was quoted a premium price. NO THANKS!

By "armchair" shopping via internet in the states of Arizona, Nevada, and California ( there was a surplus of cars in California ) I got a DISCOUNTED price on the exact car I wanted, and drove away with one in 1 week.
You can also get dealers into "bidding wars". Some won't play, but some big dealers in big cities will.

Just my advice: The closest dealer to you, is often NOT the best.
-John

Originally Posted by pb5927317
Everyone,

If you are considering ordering a MMH, or FEH get in line and be prepared to wait.

I ordered my vehicle on 6/28/2007. My dealer spoke with Ford Motor Company yesterday, and in a best case scenario, it will be Feb. before I recieve delivery on my vehcile.

They are currently allocating 11 Hybrids per month to each region. The person explained to me, that my order back in June, put me in line with 35 of out 80 for this region. This means, I wont even have a VIN assigned for a min. of 4 months. Which lines me right up for Christmas shutdown.

This is ridiculus. This is my first experience at ordering a Ford, after successfully ordering 8 Chrysler vehicles over a period of 12 years with no issues.

Anyways, I just needed somewhere to vent, and I am waiting on feedback before I decide to cancel my order.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am giving some of the bigger cities a try right now. I think this is going to be the best option. I was surprised my local dealer couldn't do this for me.

My issue is still I need service and I will need to use my local dealer for that.

I had originally orderd a Silver Hyrbird which seems to be a non-existent color, but I guess as long as it isnt the sky blue I not picky as long as I get one soon.

Does anyones experience with the AWD model show that the gas mileage isnt much worse or, is the 27mpg going to be correct?

Old 08-22-2007, 12:23 PM
N/A

At 5000 miles on a 08 4WD at high altitude, my average MPG has been about 28.5 to 30 MPG. I'm fairly good at driving for MPG (use HV, rarely turn ECON off, avoid sudden stops/starts) but am by NO means a hypermiler. The "new" 2008 EPA estimates are 29 city and 27 hwy, and that's almost exactly what I get.

Based on my limited experience I believe the FWD would add at least 2 MPG, probably more.

I agree about letting us all know where you live and either shopping around or letting some of us do it for you. Last I looked, there were several unsold FEHs on lots in my area that meet your description.

Quick Reply: Lack of ability to Produce what they sell.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands