Lack of ability to Produce what they sell.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Talking Re: Lack of ability to Produce what they sell.

Originally Posted by mtberman
At 5000 miles on a 08 4WD at high altitude, my average MPG has been about 28.5 to 30 MPG. I'm fairly good at driving for MPG (use HV, rarely turn ECON off, avoid sudden stops/starts) but am by NO means a hypermiler. The "new" 2008 EPA estimates are 29 city and 27 hwy, and that's almost exactly what I get.

Based on my limited experience I believe the FWD would add at least 2 MPG, probably more.

I agree about letting us all know where you live and either shopping around or letting some of us do it for you. Last I looked, there were several unsold FEHs on lots in my area that meet your description.
Check out the "compare" section and you'll see the mileage for the AWD is around 28-30 for most folks. I would say a mpg or two above EPA.

FWIW, I try to drive conservative (no jackrabbit starts, try to keep in EV, sensible speed on the freeway, etc.). I average 29mpg. I have an early FEH (boughtr Feb05)...methinks the '06s are slightly better mpg...'08s a mpg or two better.

Nate

PS--I agree totally with GPSman...you really need to shop around when buying an FEH. It seems the dealers either can't or won't help you. This is an exact repeat of when they first came out in late '04-05...some dealers have none...some dealers have too many. We've heard this all before...

Go to Ford.com and search for dealers within 250mi of you or 500mi...whatever you're comfortable with. Then start calling and visiting websites. In my case, they were a dime a dozen in DC in late 2004...yet 250mi away a dealer had 5 on their lot that they needed to "get rid of". Which is how I bought at invoice....

Nate

Old 08-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Lack of ability to Produce what they sell.

I just talked to another dealer that is about 3 hrs away from where I live. They are going to call me back but are willing to accept x-plan. So if they have something thats helpfull.

It seems if you use autotrader.com its updated much quicker then the Ford database.

I am looking for a loaded vehcile. What I am not sure on is if the AWD is really worth the extra 1500 bucks. Indiana weather can stink, but with a FWD and good tires I would like to think I am ok. Probably an AWD has better resell. I originally ordered a FWD Silver. I am close to Fort Wayne Indiana.

As for color, I don't like the Sky Blue color. The Kermit Green is ok, but a last choice. All the other colors are fine for me.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:02 PM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Thumbs up Re: Lack of ability to Produce what they sell.

Originally Posted by pb5927317
I just talked to another dealer that is about 3 hrs away from where I live. They are going to call me back but are willing to accept x-plan. So if they have something thats helpfull.

It seems if you use autotrader.com its updated much quicker then the Ford database.

I am looking for a loaded vehcile. What I am not sure on is if the AWD is really worth the extra 1500 bucks. Indiana weather can stink, but with a FWD and good tires I would like to think I am ok. Probably an AWD has better resell. I originally ordered a FWD Silver. I am close to Fort Wayne Indiana.

As for color, I don't like the Sky Blue color. The Kermit Green is ok, but a last choice. All the other colors are fine for me.
FWIW...

I think you find an AWD equipped like you want easier than a FWD. I don't know what the ratio is...but I think they make more AWDs. At least I see much more of them at the dealers. The AWD system in the FEH is really good. Same as the conventional Escape...it was excellent in the snow when I lived in upstate NY. (way upstate...Watertown..."snow city USA").

Good Luck.

Nate

Old 08-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

I do appreciate all the help on this site.

Actually, this site probably helped me make my decision to buy a Hybrid.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner

I do appreciate all the help on this site.

Actually, this site probably helped me make my decision to buy a Hybrid.
Pat, check PM. I founds LOTS of FEHs on autotrader. I had never tried that site before. Now I know how I'm going to shop for my next car!!

Nate

Old 08-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Does anyones experience with the AWD model show that the gas mileage isnt much worse or, is the 27mpg going to be correct?

I have a 2005 AWD Escape Hybrid and would like to add my experiences to the gas mileage question. I currently am on an out of state(s) vacation visiting family members. I drove from my home thru Ohio, Indiana and Illinois along I-70 and actually achieved a tick over 39 mpg. I use a Scangauge II unit and actually recorded this figure 402 miles traveled--10.3 gallons used--tank average 39.02 mpg. This was at a tick under 60 mph (in congested areas, the speed control was eliminated and I drove with the speed of traffic) with the speed control utilized in rural areas. I did not use air conditioning during this time phrase. It then became too warm and I utilized the air conditioning at the same speed and had a drop of mpg to 37.8. I crossed the Mississippi River and entered St. Louis and the state of Missouri. The terrain changed from flat to the Ozark rollers. There was a significant drop in mileage. This drop continued after I filled up at a Missouri gas station. I had trouble staying above 31 mpg in Missouri. A couple of days later I left Missouri and travel thru Iowa where the terrain was flatter. I can remember filling up at the Iowa border, watching the gas mileage slowly creep upward. Stopping again and refilling the tank ( a few gallons) and surprise, watching the gas mileage take another hit despite no real change in speed or terrain. Drove a good distance into Wisconsin and filled the tank up again (something like 9 gallons) and surprise, watched the gas mileage increase to almost the mid-30's. After another fillup (4 gallons or so), mileage increased a tick higher where I currently have a tank average of 36.8 mpg in most small town/rural settings.

Moral of this story. Hills can take a hit on your gas mileage. High temperatures can do the same. More importantly, I wonder if the gasoline formulation in some states (ethanol?) can cause a greater hit in mileage than hills or temperature.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:24 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Nice report.
Hard to say for sure, but I suspect your high MPG was not quite so high, and your low was not quite so low, and a big factor was in how you made each exact fill up. Each time you fill up, the total amount pumped in can vary by 2.5 gallons +/- even though you 'think' you got it exactly full each time.... this is impossible.

I'd like to know your total trip ( 2000 miles? ) divided by total gallons when you get home. Sounds like you will be in the mid-30's which is still excellent for a 4x4!

I do think ethanol plays a larger role than those "hills".
While it takes more gas to get up those hills, it takes less gas to get down them.
I always balance out, or usually, come out AHEAD mpg wise when I traverse the rockies, which involves going from 5000 feet to as much as 12,000 feet elevation and return. Hills are not your enemy. Ethanol may be on the first tank, especially before your car's sensors have time to adjust to it, which some say, takes 3 tanks.
-John

P.S. My worst MPG came from Iowa gas. Ethanol was in the mix for sure, and it was a tank right after 100% gasoline. It was also a bump from 85 octane gas to 91? octane gas. I'm not knocking ethanol. It costs less, is made in the USA, and is non-polluting. So a drop in MPG is not a bad thing. This is the one case where lower MPG is good for the planet. On the first tank of 10% ethanol, I got about 6 MPG less than usual, but after a while, not so dramatic of a loss... maybe 3 MPG loss? Since this Atkinson engine is a very low compression engine, the lowest octane possible is best for it. Just remember, high compression ( race cars ) = high octane requirements. YMMV!

Last edited by gpsman1; 08-23-2007 at 01:37 AM. Reason: added P.S.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

John, I actually drove at this lesiurely pace in an attempt to find out what kind of mileage one can expect at 60 mph. I remember your saying "48 mpg at 48 mph" in response to a question on "what is the speed that provides the best mileage for the Escape Hybrid". One can't drive on the interstate at 48 mph but they can/might be able to do 60 mph in low traffic/rural areas.

You are correct the mileage might be a tick lower than 39 mpg but evidence exists you can exceed the EPA ratings without extreme driving techniques. I only tried to keep the RPMs at or under 2000.

Got to go. Update next week.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

In my FWD I often average 41-42 MPG at 60 MPH.

Your results sound very close to the mark!