Let's talk tires...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Let's talk tires...

Time for some new rubber on my '05 FEH 4WD.

I've got 50k on the stock Junkinentals and they sound like I'm rolling on bricks. Kind of a shame.. all have at least 6/32" of tread still... but driving me nuts regardless.

Had one blow out already (Tread separated completely from the sidewall... no apparent damage to the sidewall OR the tread).. and I have an el-cheapo from work installed temporarily.. it's actually a nice tire just a no-name brand, but it's all we carry and the price was right...

Simply put... I don't trust the other three anymore, and I'm giddy about getting rid of the noise.

Just a few questions.. how much of an impact on FE does it really make to go without low rolling resistance tires?

I'm not too keen on getting new Cont. Eco Treads.. and I know Michelin has their own version on the '09 FEHs... (Is it the Latitude Touring? or some new model?), but I have a feeling the Michelins might be a bit above my price range.

Do other manufacturers have low rolling resistance tires, and if so, does anyone have experience with them?

I searched for Tires here and found bits of information here and there about it but nothing real complete.. perhaps it's time we started a thread for just this subject...

Thanks!

Old 08-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Let's talk tires...

I do know that there is a Nokian WRSUV tire that is the right size. They are PRICEY!

However, from what I understand they are the only low rolling resistance tire that ALSO is rated for severe service (winter ice/snow) conditions. The indication of this is a mountain with a snoflake on the side. The are also all season.

I'm considering them... havent taken the plunge yet.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

I bought my 2006 FEH 4WD used, and new tires came on it, which was nice, however, they are too noisy for my liking...They ae Continental ContiTrac -- not the EcoPlus version that originally came on it. This is my first SUV, so I am accustom to quieter tires on cars and minivans. Would a tire in a different category (i.e., passenger, touring, performance, etc.) work on the FEH, or is a light truck tire required? I don't think most of us need a tires that can stand up to "grueling commercial use" or require "off-road performance." My wife thinks a passenger tire would look "goofy" on it and only wants a light truck tire on it when the time comes to replace the current tires. I should have at least a couple years before a tire purchase needs to be made, but I am already looking.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:38 PM

I looked at the Nokian WR tires (yes the SUV tires fit the Escape) and Goodyear Triple Tread tires last fall. The Nokian were $11 per tire more expensive than the Goodyear Triple treads which carried a 10,000 mile longer warranty. I do not remember the Nokian WR tires as advertised "low" resistance but "lower" resistance tires. My Goodyear Tires were purchased as my "Winter" tires--I have them mounted on seperate rims--and they served very well in that function as I ski in the winter. There is a hit on mileage of somewhere around 2-3 mpg for highway driving. City and low speed driving is lower at around 2 mpg. There is a noise factor with these tires. Since I did not purchase the Nokian tires I can not personally say much about them other than some Volvo drivers swear by these tires. Look in this link: http://www.v70xc.com/forums/ for details. One of our posters purchased the Bridgestone model--I think it began with an "A" and was happy with its 12 month a year performance.
If you are in the St. Louis area, do you really need tires for winter conditions? I would check into the new Michelin tires found on the 2009 Hybrid.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk
If you are in the St. Louis area, do you really need tires for winter conditions? I would check into the new Michelin tires found on the 2009 Hybrid.
I'm actually in MI.... but you are right the original poster being in St. Louis MO might not have much need for that.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:00 AM

My '09 FEH rides great with the new Michelin Tour tires Ford had special made for all '09 Escapes. They certainly ride and seem to help mileage much better than the Eco Plus.

My local dealer Parts Manager and I are now friends and has been checking for the new Michelins and a spare matching rim that comes on the '09 FEH Limited. He now has 8 Michelin Tours in stock and has got me the bright alum rim at wholesale for $228.52. The tire is very light weight and the tread is a little less all terrain as the Eco Plus. The tires retails for $176.95 each, but he will let me have them for $159.00. The spare rim for my '05 FEH was more than a $100 over this rim.

Those Michelin Latitude Tour tires were listed on the Web (not our size) for about $300 each, so this price is music to my ears. I'm going to replace 2 of my tires on my '05 because of a flat and the worst tire I have, and put the new Michelins on the front. I should see a difference in the Eco-Plus and I'll post what I find out.

Lets say you get 36mpg with a cheaper less LRR tire. Say you only get an increase of one MPG (37 mpg) with the higher LRR tire. After 50,000 miles at 36mpg, your average price per gallon of gas was $4. You burned 1,389 gallons at a total cost of $5,555. That extra one MPG (37) would save you $152 in gas. Divide that by 4 tires and you saved at least $38 per tire. This is assuming the cheaper tire made it to 50,000 miles.

Ford and Michelin claim the new Michelin Tour is LRR, has better handling, less noise, shorter stopping distances and has longer wear. My money is on the new Michelin Tours hands down.

GaryG

Old 08-07-2008, 07:39 AM

Gary.... are the '09 the same size tires as the '06?

Old 08-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

For LRR, I'm going to try 225/75-16 tires instead of the stock 235/70-16. There are more LT tires in load range D (65psi vs. 44psi stock) in the 225 size anyway. From reports here, load range E tires (80psi) don't make a lot of difference for LRR.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Gary.... are the '09 the same size tires as the '06?
Michelin did not sale the Latitude Tour in our size until Ford had them design this new LRR Latitude Tour just for the Escape. So yes, they are the same size '05 thru '09 for the FEH/MMH. The gas Escape is available in a 17 inch rim, but I think this special LRR tire is not made in that size yet. I don't even know if you can buy this LRR tire thru a Michelin dealer yet.

GaryG

Old 08-07-2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
Michelin did not sale the Latitude Tour in our size until Ford had them design this new LRR Latitude Tour just for the Escape. So yes, they are the same size '05 thru '09 for the FEH/MMH. The gas Escape is available in a 17 inch rim, but I think this special LRR tire is not made in that size yet. I don't even know if you can buy this LRR tire thru a Michelin dealer yet.

GaryG
Its listed as one of the sizes on their web site at least! Time to go checking!

Quick Reply: Let's talk tires...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands