Limited Slip on FWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Limited Slip on FWD

Originally Posted by Davin
I think you got that backwards. LSDs are fairly common in sporty front wheel drives. THe Mini, Civic R type, Sentra R type and mazda 3 series all have some type of LSDs (although most are just torsen types with only 25% lock up) to eliminate torque steer. Higher hp without an LSD causes torque steer.

I had a old 75 mini built for track use a few years ago and added an lsd to it. The handling improved dramatically over the open diff.
"...Higher HP without an LSD causes torque steer..."

Pardon me, but I'm quite sure, certain sure, that an LSD would exacerbate torque steer. Torque stear is the result of "unequal wrap-up" of the differing length of the left and right half-shafts. The shorter one, less "wrap-up", coupling more torque to "its" wheel/tire. The rotational, angular, position of the wheel attached to the longer halfshaft lagging the opposite wheel at higher torque levels.

Since this happens beyond, downstream as it were, of the control of the Torsen type LSD the LSD can clearly be of no aid and more likely a hindrance.

Last edited by wwest; 01-19-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Enthusiast

I am a former engineer on the trans...it is open diff and no, there are no limited slip options.

The AWD is VERY entertaining in the snow. In fact, the AWD hybrid might be a bit scary for the average driver since it understeers with power, then the clutches engage for AWD and send lots 'o torque to the rear wheels resulting in oversteer. Fun for 30 year old Mustang owners like myself. Maybe scary for people like my grandma.

Kicks ***!

Old 01-22-2008, 07:09 PM

Drop one of the front halfshafts, wire the rear clutch for permanent engagement and enjoy.....

Stupid FWD or F/AWD vehicles...!!

Old 01-24-2008, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Canon40Dg9
I am a former engineer on the trans...it is open diff and no, there are no limited slip options.

The AWD is VERY entertaining in the snow. In fact, the AWD hybrid might be a bit scary for the average driver since it understeers with power, then the clutches engage for AWD and send lots 'o torque to the rear wheels resulting in oversteer. Fun for 30 year old Mustang owners like myself. Maybe scary for people like my grandma.

Kicks ***!
Boy that is interesting. I have the AWD version and haven't had any issues-yet. Can't be any scarier that my first automobile a 1969 Mustang Mach 1. That vehicle featured a long hood, rear wheel drive, summer tires and an inexperienced driver. I learned to take it easy.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by wwest
"...Higher HP without an LSD causes torque steer..."

Pardon me, but I'm quite sure, certain sure, that an LSD would exacerbate torque steer. Torque stear is the result of "unequal wrap-up" of the differing length of the left and right half-shafts. The shorter one, less "wrap-up", coupling more torque to "its" wheel/tire. The rotational, angular, position of the wheel attached to the longer halfshaft lagging the opposite wheel at higher torque levels.

Since this happens beyond, downstream as it were, of the control of the Torsen type LSD the LSD can clearly be of no aid and more likely a hindrance.

I have a MINI S (with LSD) and I can assure you I have no torque steer. I can launch my car (in a straight line) WOT without puting my hands on the steering wheel.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:48 AM
08 MMH 4WD

Originally Posted by Canon40Dg9

Kicks ***!
Thanks for the info. Something to play with next time we have some good ice / snow & the wife+kidletts are home!

Guess that also explains what I noticed once in L on ice when I let off the gas where it seemed the front wheels locked up & started to skid sideways until I tapped the brakes.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by livvie
I have a MINI S (with LSD) and I can assure you I have no torque steer. I can launch my car (in a straight line) WOT without puting my hands on the steering wheel.
Personally I doubt if the Mini S has enough engine torque to even exhibit torque stear, plus being as small as it is the half shafts are probably too short to develop any significant level of wrap-up.

Additionally torque stear "exhibits" at its worse in a hard accelerating tight turn.

And are you sure about that LSD? Seems odd, unless it's a "virtual" one.

Last edited by wwest; 01-25-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:16 PM

Hehe... Yes I'm quite sure. It is an option that you can get and I have it. The mini S has plenty of torque on tap to test torque steer. It also helps that the half shaft on both sides are of equal length.

I don't know what you mean by virtual? Both of my wheels spin at the same speed under acceleration. My mini also has DSC and traction control but that has to do more with the braking system then the differential.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by livvie
It also helps that the half shaft on both sides are of equal length.
Ah, that is it! As originally mentioned, torque steer is due to unequal half shafts.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Ah, that is it! As originally mentioned, torque steer is due to unequal half shafts.
I agree, but I also think that a LSD will rectify this situation because both shaft will be forced to spin at the same speed.

Now we need to find a FWD with LSD and unequal half shaft to see if this is true. ;-)

Quick Reply: Limited Slip on FWD

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands