Locking Gas Caps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Locking Gas Caps?

I just noticed for the first time that my FEH doesn't have a locking gas filler door. When I searched for a locking gas cap online, I can't find anything for an '07. Did something change for '07, and is the cap hybrid specific?

Also, on a somewhat related topic, how does the FEH know its been refueled so it can reset the info center (MTE, MPG, etc) for the new tank?

Old 03-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Default Re: Locking Gas Caps?

Originally Posted by econoline
I just noticed for the first time that my FEH doesn't have a locking gas filler door. When I searched for a locking gas cap online, I can't find anything for an '07. Did something change for '07, and is the cap hybrid specific?

Also, on a somewhat related topic, how does the FEH know its been refueled so it can reset the info center (MTE, MPG, etc) for the new tank?
Theres a small button that is moved by the gas door. I imagine its a matter of reading that and checking how much gas is in the tank from the filler guage.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Theres a small button that is moved by the gas door. I imagine its a matter of reading that and checking how much gas is in the tank from the filler guage.
Oh. I've opened the filler door sometimes without adding gas. I wonder if that screws up the measurements.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:43 PM

Econoline, I tried to remove gas from my tank with a number of devises because of filling up accidently with premium fuel. Premium fuel has oxygenates like ethanol which screw up the air fuel mixture to run rich and burn more fuel volume. Bottomline, I could not get a drop out of my tank with a pump or anything. Maybe someone could add something to your fuel, but they will have a very hard time getting any of it out of your tank. Don't waste your time on a gas cap lock, but a cap lock meant for the standard Escape should work fine.

As far as how does the FEH/MMH know the fuel level, there is a fuel pump module at the bottom of the gas tank that contains a fuel level sensor. The PCM monitors this module for a number of other controls and functions also. MTE is part of the fuel level sensors job, but may adjust as the fuel sensor drops below that full level it detects, depending on your mileage between that time. In other words, you can add gas above the sensor level, but your MTE may be adjusted when the fuel level sensor starts detecting movement. The fuel level sensor does not determine the MTE, it is just a part of the data that determines your MTE. The reason I post my MTE is because it is a reading that cannot be controlled by anything other than the mileage your getting over an average amount of driving. It takes a number of tanks to average your MTE reading, so a single good or bad mpg average tank will not destroy or add that much on a single tank of gas. My MTE has not fallen below 600 miles in almost a year, but I've had tanks below 600 MTE a few times during the hot summer with A/C use. Also remember that there is 1.3 gallons of gas left when you hit 0 MTE. This is why you only add about 13.7 gallons of gas at 0 MTE on average. The tank can hold up to 17 gallons if you fill the tank with the right front end of the FEH on a good slope down, which will allow a big air pocket to be filled in the tank. The air pocket is a design of the fuel tank to keep from over filling it.

GaryG

GaryG

Old 03-04-2007, 06:53 AM

Oh. I've opened the filler door sometimes without adding gas. I wonder if that screws up the measurements.
I don't think thats a problem.... as I mentioned, there is a sensor for fuel level, so it shouldn't mess it up to open the door.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:03 AM

Then what does that switch do, on the gas filler door?

As a test, I tried leaving the filler door opened, to see if the Message Center would tell me that the "filler door is ajar" or something. It didn't.

If not that, then what?

Old 03-05-2007, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Then what does that switch do, on the gas filler door?

As a test, I tried leaving the filler door opened, to see if the Message Center would tell me that the "filler door is ajar" or something. It didn't.

If not that, then what?
Walt, I really don't think that is a switch, but just a type of fuel door latch. It is possible that it could be part of a release of fuel door if a remote button was installed, but even those don't provide any type of warning if left open.

GaryG

Old 03-05-2007, 12:17 PM

Some of the "foreign" escapes actually have a remote fuel door release....a number of people have imported the switches and installed them. Here is one particular thread on E-C where a user posts detailed instructions, parts list, and prices:

http://www.escape-central.com/1forum...568&perpage=14

Old 03-08-2007, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by GaryG
Bottomline, I could not get a drop out of my tank with a pump or anything. Maybe someone could add something to your fuel, but they will have a very hard time getting any of it out of your tank. Don't waste your time on a gas cap lock, but a cap lock meant for the standard Escape should work fine.
GaryG
Thanks Gary. Sounds like I'm safe in doing with the locking gas cap. Or at least waiting until the unlikely event happens.