Mariner and FEH Navigation/GPS

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Mariner and FEH Navigation/GPS

As mentioned, you can't access the points of information, add info to the address book, or input a new address unless the vehicle is stopped, and just stopped. You can be stopped at a light and add info. You can at a stop, mark a location on the map and not add info until your stopped again, or input an address the same way.

I use the Nav quite a bit, mostly just because I have it, and I never have it start until I'm already on my way. For example, on my long commute (86 miles round trip), I don't turn the Nav system on until I'm already on the expressway, then I use the previous destination (Since it stores your last 10 or so destintions) select how I want to get there, then enjoy.

No park, no parking brakes needed.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:34 AM
Enthusiast

You have to be stopped (speed = 0).

There was a thread somewhere that mentioned putting a switch inline with the Vss (vehicle speed sensor) wire to the nav unit to make the unit think the vehicle is stopped when it actually isn't. The downside of doing this is that predictive navigation tracking (when no GPS signal available) is also disabled as long as the nav unit thinks the vehicle is stopped.

Old 05-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast

Originally Posted by youngdh
You have to be stopped (speed = 0).

There was a thread somewhere that mentioned putting a switch inline with the Vss (vehicle speed sensor) wire to the nav unit to make the unit think the vehicle is stopped when it actually isn't. The downside of doing this is that predictive navigation tracking (when no GPS signal available) is also disabled as long as the nav unit thinks the vehicle is stopped.
True but after you flip the switch back to let the unit obtain VSS info, you can easily get the NAV back on track. Yes if you are looking at the NAV while the VSS is switched off (as stated) the unit thinks you are sitting still therefore during the time you have the switch interrupting the signal, you will see that the vehicle indicator does not move during this time.

Sure seems a lot easier than having to pull over and stop or be frantic trying to put in or seek the info you want before the light changes and you have to go – that ATM might be right around the corner.

Three are a coupe of ways to get the NAV synced with were you are after you re-engage the VSS. Generally the easiest is to eject the CD wait a couple of seconds and put it back in. If that is to much – just wait – the GPS will find you and correct itself – especially if you are say in-town and doing a lot of turning.
You can look at how this is done here at
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/getting-to-poi-and-others-while-moving.5214.htm

Last edited by VietVet'67; 05-01-2006 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:54 AM
Enthusiast

Well, sort of. If the nav unit is relying on predictive tracking due to loss of sat signal, say in a heavily wooded area or surrounded by tall buildings, as soon as you disconnect Vss the nav unit will assume you are stopped even though you are still moving. When you reconnect Vss and you haven't captured at least 3 GPS sats. the nav unit will resume predictive tracking from where it "thought" you stopped . It could be like the recent TV commercial where the voice nav unit instructs the driver "turn right.." [driver immediately turns right into a store front] "...in 200 feet".

This is certainly a trade-off of convenience (pulling over to set POI vs. getting nav unit back on track). There is also the warranty issue to consider.

Originally Posted by VietVet'67
True but after you flip the switch back to let the unit obtain VSS info, you can easily get the NAV back on track. Yes if you are looking at the NAV while the VSS is switched off (as stated) the unit thinks you are sitting still therefore during the time you have the switch interrupting the signal, you will see that the vehicle indicator does not move during this time.

Sure seems a lot easier than having to pull over and stop or be frantic trying to put in or seek the info you want before the light changes and you have to go – that ATM might be right around the corner.

Three are a coupe of ways to get the NAV synced with were you are after you re-engage the VSS. Generally the easiest is to eject the CD wait a couple of seconds and put it back in. If that is to much – just wait – the GPS will find you and correct itself – especially if you are say in-town and doing a lot of turning.
You can look at how this is done here at
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/getting-to-poi-and-others-while-moving.5214.htm

Old 05-02-2006, 12:07 PM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast

Originally Posted by youngdh
Well, sort of. If the nav unit is relying on predictive tracking due to loss of sat signal, say in a heavily wooded area or surrounded by tall buildings, as soon as you disconnect Vss the nav unit will assume you are stopped even though you are still moving. When you reconnect Vss and you haven't captured at least 3 GPS sats. the nav unit will resume predictive tracking from where it "thought" you stopped . It could be like the recent TV commercial where the voice nav unit instructs the driver "turn right.." [driver immediately turns right into a store front] "...in 200 feet".

This is certainly a trade-off of convenience (pulling over to set POI vs. getting NAV unit back on track). There is also the warranty issue to consider.

Don - No problem with your reasoning/logic –

That is taking into account the ‘predictive tracking’ capability. Sure if you did turn off the VSS – go for a while and then turn it back on – and the unit was using ‘predictive tracking’ you wouldn’t be anywhere close on the NAV screen as to your actual position.

That is/was my point in saying to eject the CD and re-insert it – you will basically be doing a re-boot of the system and it will then re-sync with the GPS sats. I can, from real experiences of having used the modification, say with authority that it works. Not having sats synced your GPS is about the same as sometimes when you first turn on your map and see that it is not showing where you actually are - maybe a half mile or so off in a swamp, but after a little while you are back on track. You want be lost in cyber-space running off the road into the nearest plate glass – that is if you are doing what you should be doing – paying attention to road and traffic conditions and not relying on the NAV unit to make ALL the decisions for you.

No it is not perfect in all situations, but especially good if out on the road and you need to find the next rest stop – You Really Got To Go – you don’t want to pull over to the shoulder of the I-Whatever, with 75-80 MPH vehicles going by.

I also would like to state that - If what you need calls for input (address etc) then let the passenger do it - or DO it while stopped – it isn’t worth having an accident. The driver, except in EXTREME Emergencies, should never do this while moving. That is why I put the switch on the passenger (Navigator) side of the console when I did the mod (I can still reach it if I need to).. Yeah there are a couple of things that are just as easy to do as punching the buttons to check 15 mileage, map, NAV - - - -, like finding a Point of Interest that you don’t have to input any info, just a quick look and select. If what you need calls for input (address etc) then let the passenger do it - or do it at while stopped – it isn’t worth having an accident.

Rich is exactly right in saying that you can do the input while stopped at a light – and have tried to do exactly that – but never seem to have enough time to do the input or search before the light turns and the ‘This feature is not available’ screens pops up.

I have also looked at a couple of portable NAV units and say that the POI etc are not accessible while in motion – so it is not just a Ford thing. I don’t think there is any law that says that this is the way it has to be, but the GPS unit manufactures might be thinking down the road and don’t want a lawsuit brought against them if someone were hurt/killed or hurt/killed someone else while working the GPS instead of what they were supposed to be doing – keeping their eyes on the road and driving in a safe manner.

Last edited by VietVet'67; 05-02-2006 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Enthusiast

Sounds like we are on the same line of thinking. I noticed GPSman added a comment in your modification instructions "You can easily press out this blank black square..." about placing a "look alike" switch on the console. On my '06 MMH I have no blanks available. Is this blank only available on the FEH?

Old 05-03-2006, 07:52 AM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast

Don - on the '05 FEH the one that is not used (blank) is the second from the right. Mine has the 'Set' button in the middle, a blank then the last on the right is 'Passanger Air Bag'. Don't know if they have added something else. If so let us know.

OH - I have just updated the modification to include the way of doing it without cutting any wires and also the model number of the rocker swithch I used from Radio Shack.

Glad to Help.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Enthusiast

Phillip:

In the 2006, the second button from the right that is blank in '05 is the button to turn on/off the back-up sensor's beeper.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Green FEH
Phillip:
In the 2006, the second button from the right that is blank in '05 is the button to turn on/off the back-up sensor's beeper.
Chuck -
Just went out and looked at my panel and the second button from the right is blank in my '05. The on/off for the back-up sensor's beeper is not there on mine probably because that was not an option on the '05 .
My buttons L to R -
1. Hazard
2. Rear Window Defrost
3. Info
4. Set
5. Blank
6. Looks Blank, but is the 'Pass Airbag Off' (lights in check mode when first turned on.

So there wouldn't be any blank buttons - have to do something like I did and drill a hole in the front side of the console cover.

Last edited by VietVet'67; 05-03-2006 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Phillip- Based on your photo, it looks like you and I used the same switch.
Just I put mine in the blank space ( position #5 ) you described below.
It's not quite the same look as stock, but is nearly identical in size, and "snapped" right in, no drilling or even glue required!

( Funny, I needed this switch soooo bad when I didn't have it, now I haven't used it in longer than I can remember! )

-John