Mazda Tribute Hybrid?? (Little FEH content)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mazda Tribute Hybrid?? (Little FEH content)

Originally Posted by rihavo
I'll bet Mazda is doing it to bring up the EPA average across the board for their fleet of vehicles being offered to the public.

The 350 unit number might be what is required to have the vehicle counted.
It is a corporate wide average, across all vehicles sold. I would not think that 350 hybrids would be insignificant against the grand total number of Mazda vehicles sold for the 2008 my.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
It is a corporate wide average, across all vehicles sold. I would not think that 350 hybrids would be insignificant against the grand total number of Mazda vehicles sold for the 2008 my.
I agree that the number of units may not be significant. However, I was just stating that 350 may be the number required to have the vehicle counted in their average.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:54 AM
N/A

Due to parts supply problems previously mentioned, as well as the fact that battery technology is still not where Ford thought it would be by this time, the Tribute Hybrid program was delayed and eventually scrapped for the previous generation. It looked feasible for the 2008 model year. The plan was to start smaller this time and initially roll out in a historically high demand market (CA), similar to Nissan and the Altima Hybrid.

CAFE standards are by manufacturer, not brand. There isn't a Mazda or Mercury or Volvo standard, but rather a set of individual fleet standards broken down by vehicle type and weighted by total sales. A general explanation of fleet makeup and calculation methods can be found here for those interested

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/cafe/overview.htm

What's really important is that alt-fuel vehicles often earn CAFE credits for the manufacturer. When Ford missed the number, there was no fine because they had earned offset credits. That is one of the justifications for a maker to sell hybrids at a loss: It allows them to make & sell less-efficient but more-profitable vehicles without worrying about CAFE so much. It's also one reasons hybrids sell primarily in the USA.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:11 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mtberman
Due to parts supply problems previously mentioned, as well as the fact that battery technology is still not where Ford thought it would be by this time, the Tribute Hybrid program was delayed and eventually scrapped for the previous generation. It looked feasible for the 2008 model year.
As I understand technically this is not true. At least 30 previous-generation MTHs were made and given to fire departments in Southern California. They were given CAFE certs as well...maybe a few are in private hands now?

Old 09-27-2007, 12:44 PM
N/A

It's true. The project was scrapped and no regular production MTH were ever offered for sale. Pre-production prototype eunits were "given" out but had to be returned to Ford. Same as the taxi experiment they did with the FEH.

Last edited by mtberman; 09-27-2007 at 01:21 PM. Reason: corr typo
Old 04-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Enthusiast

I own a Mazda Tribute Hybrid and enjoy the looks and questions I get when I drive it or show it to friends,. Considering I live in Las Vegas and had to go threw great means to acquire it in California. With such a limited run in production I really wanted to get my hands on one. Not to mention the $3000.00 tax credit you get when you own one.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:53 PM

Hey Nate;
Don't know where you live...but come on out to Cali and buy your MTH. Combine it with some vacation time, and get your tax credit too. What a deal!!
Jill