Mew member: FEH back on the roads again

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 03:52 AM
Enthusiast
Arrow Mew member: FEH back on the roads again

I bought a "bricked" 2009 Escape Limited a couple months ago. It has over 200K on the odometer but is in remarkable condition.
Except it was a non-running "experiment" to try and bring back.

Just rolled off the trailer. Dead on Arrival.
I had been researching the possibility of bringing back a bricked hybrid and was very fortunate to find this "top of the line" Escape as my project. Definitely too nice to wind up in a wrecking yard!.
I got the parts to install an onboard charger inside the HVB housing. I pulled the top cover and wired the LED power supply to the existing foam wrapped DC input wires on the left side open area.
After 2 hours on the AC extension the HVB voltage was up past 300V so I put in the key and and it started right up!
I brought out my OBDII to USB cable & my little PC with ForScan installed and poked around while the engine ran it's charge cycle.
Couple hours later I was ready for my initial test drive. Complete success!!
The CL ad said that it had power steering issues and that was why it was parked. A couple of months went by and it went on Craigslist.
I looked into the steering issues that the Escape has and decided I could handle that if it was the torque sensor that needed replaced.
I got a great deal on this since it would not start when I came to check it out. Seller was charging the under-hood 12v battery and of course had no luck with that. He said he was done with this and had bought another Escape for his commute.
I loaded it up on the trailer and hauled it home not knowing just what I had.
When I got it started the computers apparently reset the power steering module and there has been no issues at all with that.
The HVB seems to be fully recovered after a balancing session. I'm getting 34.4 mpg on the touch-screen readout with mostly suburban/rural driving around the hill country of S. Pierce County, Washington.
Yes, it has all major options including the SYNC navigation & audio with Bluetooth phone connection, full leather interior in nice condition and electric moonroof. Tires have only about 5k on them as well.
Did a full synthetic engine oil change and will be changing the transaxle lube this week. I've got 6 quarts of the "new" Valvoline Hybrid transaxle fluid.
I'm planning a Oregon Coast road-trip soon. Need to put some more miles to get fully confident in this new complex tech machine.

Old 04-30-2024, 07:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mew member: FEH back on the roads again

Nice truck, great find. I have on '09 Limited, same color. One suggestion: I would only use the genuine Motorcraft transmission fluid.

Old 05-14-2024, 06:09 PM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Mew member: FEH back on the roads again

I second that. It's easy to change to boot.