Nav Unit Lost

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Nav Unit Lost

I have a 2005 FEH and I am in Fresno california, I notice that my compass is off, and my vehicle location is totally off. I also notice that the compass is red mor than green, rarely turns green. is there a fix for this or is there no satelite signal in fresno. thanks

Old 06-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Nav Unit Lost

GPS satellites are in constant motion. Signal quality will change day by day, hour by hour. If the problem persists, have it looked at. remember, GPS signals are weak, and your car needs "line of sight" to a large chunk of sky. GPS does not work through buildings or heavy tree cover.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am mostly in open areas all day and still no signal, is there a fix for this, move the reciever or something like that. when i went to the coast on the way there i got signal and it all lined up but as soon as i got back to fresno it got lost again, clock doesnt work most of the time either

Old 06-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
is there a fix for this
Yup, do what I did. Dump the POS factory NAV that came in it & install something like this:

http://www.pbase.com/jmorton10/inbox&page=all

~John

Old 06-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
clock doesnt work most of the time either
What year is your FEH? And what do you mean the clock doesn't work? Pre-2008, the clock system is independant of the other systems, if it's not working correctly, that's an indication that there's something wrong electrically.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:52 PM

The clock is actually set via GPS in 2005-2007 cars with Navigation.
All you need to do is set the time zone you live in.

Minutes and seconds are always "right on the money" as long as you get a GPS signal once in a while.

-John

Old 06-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

i must not be getting signal enough, it will just stop and stay the same time for a long time or sometimes it wont even show a time, i think the signal sucks here in fresno, maybe i need to move the antenna to the roof.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
GPS satellites are in constant motion. Signal quality will change day by day, hour by hour. If the problem persists, have it looked at. remember, GPS signals are weak, and your car needs "line of sight" to a large chunk of sky. GPS does not work through buildings or heavy tree cover.
Actually the GPS satellites are in geo-stationary orbits. They hardly move at all, and they can't, or it wouldn't be very precise. Just like satellite TV, the weather will affect it, however. Rain, clouds and solar flares will deteriorate the signal.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by gpsman1
The clock is actually set via GPS in 2005-2007 cars with Navigation.
All you need to do is set the time zone you live in.

Minutes and seconds are always "right on the money" as long as you get a GPS signal once in a while.

-John

If that's the case, then why doesn't it auto-update when you cross time zones? It knows where you are, it should detect and auto-update, but it doesn't.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:23 PM

I have THIS screen name for a reason.
I've been using GPS for nearly 15 years.

GPS satellites are most certainly NOT in geo-stationary, also known as geosynchronous orbits. I can take a few pages to discuss why not, or you can trust me on this. Or look it up on ANY GPS related web site. I'm sure 100% of the sites will agree on the orbital status of GPS!

Also, GPS has a Universal Time Code ( UTC ).
It is just easier for each end user to set their own offset from UTC. Either hours + or - from UTC.
While actual local time could be derived from UTC and Lat/Lon data, I've yet to see a unit that did. Even the automatic wall clocks always ask you to set the time zone.

Originally Posted by AntoineWG
Actually the GPS satellites are in geo-stationary orbits. They hardly move at all, and they can't, or it wouldn't be very precise. Just like satellite TV, the weather will affect it, however. Rain, clouds and solar flares will deteriorate the signal.

Quick Reply: Nav Unit Lost

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands