New Navteq CD database

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New Navteq CD database

I had the wife call them also (before I received my $225 waste of money update just before it too expired). She got a different CSR, who also assumed we needed the DVD version and said it will update in a few weeks, but when my wife said it was actually the 12 CD version, the CSR said that it just updated a few weeks ago, and won't update again for over another year.

I am guessing however that the information on this "new version" of the CDs is several months old and they are just slow to update the CDs. At least it won't be 2 (or is it really more like 3 if they were using old info when they updated the 05 CD version too) years old like my present V3 2005 version. My disks should arrive tomorrow.

Last edited by TriggerHybrid; 09-06-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I find my 2005 disks will route a trip across "disks" if I route major cities to major cites. I can plan a route from Denver to Los Angeles for example with no trouble, even though they are on separate disks.

However, small town USA to small town USA does not work across discs.
To at least get going, I would pick a town on the border of a disc, and drive to there. Once at the border town, I would then swap discs.

There is a small perimeter of border overlap. 50 miles? So you can go at least 50 miles into a new zone or disc without changing discs. Just FYI.
-John

Old 09-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TriggerHybrid
I had the wife call them also (before I received my $225 waste of money update just before it too expired). She got a different CSR, who also assumed we needed the DVD version and said it will update in a few weeks, but when my wife said it was actually the 12 CD version, the CSR said that it just updated a few weeks ago, and won't update again for over another year.

I am guessing however that the information on this "new version" of the CDs is several months old and they are just slow to update the CDs. At least it won't be 2 (or is it really more like 3 if they were using old info when they updated the 05 CD version too) years old like my present V3 2005 version. My disks should arrive tomorrow.
I wouldn't be suprised if ALL the discs out there are of data a few months old. Lets be realistic, it does take some time to compile and convert the data into the format for a particular system. It would be nice if it was all standard, but no one says it is. It would be beautiful for navteq to have some sort of standard that all the systems ran, both for them and for us... but frankly from my experience in engineering things are RARELY that elegant.

Its nice to have new discs that aren't several years old... but frankly dec 2006 isn't that old. Those maps you could never fold were likely of far older data than that when they were printed even if they were dated 2007.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
However, small town USA to small town USA does not work across discs.
To at least get going, I would pick a town on the border of a disc, and drive to there. Once at the border town, I would then swap discs.
What I found that works for me, is that start out with the destination disk inserted, and with that find my actual destination (usually by address). That seems to "load" my destination choice, and its data, into the list of recent ones.

I swap to my starting point disk (usually my home area disk). I have it plot a route and select my destination from the list of recent ones (see previous step). I start my journey with that starting point disk still loaded.

When I cross the boundary between disks, I manually eject the starting point disk, and load the destination disk. The unit notices that I changed disks, and will ask me if I want to continue my current route. I pick yes.

I am disappointed that the system never seems to realize that it crossed over a boundary, and automatically prompt me to replace the disk. I really expected it to say something like "Please insert disk #8 now". But nope. Never does.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:06 AM
Enthusiast

Maybe it will make it a little easier with that new feature called "ROUTE USA" (see last sentence, post #9).

Old 09-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Well after you called it made since, so I pulled the trigger on a set also. Like you I'm tired of driving through pastures.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Enthusiast

Well, disks arrived today. They say "2007" in several places in the "fine print" on the disks, and of course Version 4V.

By the way, being **** and untrusting, I called NAVTEQ a third time this AM and asked, and was told the CD version was just updated last month, and when I asked when it might be updated again, she (different CSR than the other two) said that the updates for the DVD and CD are not concurrent, and said the CDs would update in over a year, IF THEY DECIDED TO UPDATE THEM. I don't think she had any knowledge of them stopping the CD updates, but I can certainly see them at some point no longer supporting this "old" method.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

So notice anything different with the new CDs?

Old 09-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: New Navteq CD database

Originally Posted by sirfergy
So notice anything different with the new CDs?
Sorry, had to go drive around (yes, unnecessary trip, wasting gas, but had to see if the new disks were any different).

I live in Las Vegas, so we get new streets all the time. Many streets were not on the old 05 version are now on the 07 version--EXCELLENT.

In addition, with the old version when I would ask for turn by turn directions and then push map to keep the big picture, mine would always revert back to the cartoon turn arrows everytime "she" talked. Now, if you are doing turn by turn and then push map, she will still talk, but the map will stay on the display with the red line showing your route on the map--EXCELLENT!!! (did I miss something on the previous version to allow this?)

It seems to reorient MUCH more quickly after you go around a turn to keep the map oriented "travel direction side up"--EXCELLENT.

Overall, two thumbs up!!

Last edited by TriggerHybrid; 09-07-2007 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by TriggerHybrid
Sorry, had to go drive around (yes, unnecessary trip, wasting gas, but had to see if the new disks were any different).

I live in Las Vegas, so we get new streets all the time. Many streets were not on the old 05 version are now on the 07 version--EXCELLENT.

In addition, with the old version when I would ask for turn by turn directions and then push map to keep the big picture, mine would always revert back to the cartoon turn arrows everytime "she" talked. Now, if you are doing turn by turn and then push map, she will still talk, but the map will stay on the display with the red line showing your route on the map--EXCELLENT!!! (did I miss something on the previous version to allow this?)

It seems to reorient MUCH more quickly after you go around a turn to keep the map oriented "travel direction side up"--EXCELLENT.

Overall, two thumbs up!!

Hmm. Good to hear.

Quick Reply: New Navteq CD database

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands