Newbie question!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default Newbie question!

To all FEH gurus here...

Doesn't frequently having the ICE stop and start, consume more gas? I have been driving my 2005 FEH for over a week now and it feels way different than any other car I have ever driven (manual and automatic)

Like most newbies I am naturally inclined to get the most out of the EV and usually I try to get to 40 km/h before I let the ICE kick in....but, I have noticed that it bothers others who are behind me because it does take a while for the car to reach that speed on EV alone

Also, since I am driving it in Canada...its pretty cold these days and takes a while for the car to warm up and the batteries to charge...

So, any suggestions or guidelines for newbies.....for e.g. if I see the coast clear in front of me.....or the car ahead of me taking off like a rabbit....should I be bothering the EV to get me up to a certain speed or trust my natural instincts and based on distance of car in front of me.....accelerate with EV+ICE? Is that a good strategy? Or should I atleast get the car to start moving on EV and then let the ICE take over....coz' I think a car consumes more gas on just getting the weight of itself in motion.

Thanks in advance for any advices.

Regards
Anish

Old 10-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Newbie question!

Living in Canada, you should get the block heater, battery warmer combo installed. BillyK has the partno's posted here somewhere. If the battery isn't warm enough, no EV (unless you have a heated garage).

I'll let others comment on your EV questions.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Old 10-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Newbie question!

If you only had the vehicle for one week and you have not done much reading about how this vehicle operates, then you have some homework to do. You may benefit from obtaining and using a Scanguage II hardware or similar to help understand what is going on in the vehicle. It is not smart to drive your FEH in a manner that drivers behind you become enraged at you. There are a number of topics-from various posters- on this site a newbie needs to read.

Good luck.