No start

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 04:04 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: No start

There was a thread here about an un-grounded terminal somewhere under the driver seat that did a whole lot of strange things to the computer (PCM)...

Check this thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=11900

I think the resolution was the dealer re-flashed the PCM.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't get any message. My mechanic gave up. He said Ford says nothing's wrong with the 2008. I told him Ford must not go online because there are a lot of sites with owners' describing the problems with their FEHs, and he kind of smiled and said "yea, but those aren't official."
My problem is so intermittent that I can't really blame the mechanics, but I don't really want this to get more frequent so they can find the problem!

Old 06-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Fear not, mine was intermittent at first, only if it sat warmed up for 5 min or so, if you let it sit 20 min it would start---- until Memorial day when it died.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Eureka, I got the call today that I really wanted to hear. Its fixed. PAY ATTENTION FEH owners. The cause was a bad PCM as I had thought, the rest of the problem was the thief system-- when you replace a Ford PCM on a vehical that has the anti thief system YOU MUST HAVE ALL KEYS to flash into the new PCM other wise it thinks you are trying to steal the car and will not allow a start. So if you take you FEH/MMH in for possible PCM problems be sure to bring ALL keys and remotes so that if they have to reflash or replace the PCM they wont go into a nuclear melt down. Even the Ford engineer initially missed this.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Good to hear you're back on the road.

That's so weird that they wouldn't have known that about the keys. It kinda seems like it would be towards the top of the checklist for a PCM swap.

Thanks for the info!

Old 06-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

My 2005 came with 2 key fobs/remotes. I assume all did.

One key fob is broken / destroyed / stepped upon.
I have been driving for 1 year with the remaining 1 key.
There must be ways ( for Ford ) around this.
I don't have anti-theft as 2005's did not come with it, but that is beside the point since anyone out there could have just one key left.
I think this is not such a big deal. But great info, as I'm sure it saves time, and perhaps cost to do it the "easy way" by having both (all) keys present.
-John

Post thought. Did I mis-read? Was it the car that was messed up, or the keys?
A) Did you need to take the keys in to get the keys fixed?
or
B) Did you need to take the keys in to get the car fixed?

Last edited by gpsman1; 06-05-2007 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
My 2005 came with 2 key fobs/remotes. I assume all did.

One key fob is broken / destroyed / stepped upon.
I have been driving for 1 year with the remaining 1 key.
There must be ways ( for Ford ) around this.
I don't have anti-theft as 2005's did not come with it, but that is beside the point since anyone out there could have just one key left.
I think this is not such a big deal. But great info, as I'm sure it saves time, and perhaps cost to do it the "easy way" by having both (all) keys present.
-John

Post thought. Did I mis-read? Was it the car that was messed up, or the keys?
A) Did you need to take the keys in to get the keys fixed?
or
B) Did you need to take the keys in to get the car fixed?
I had this with my Golf. The keys have a chip that emits a unique code. The PCM needs to be told to accept that code as a trusted key.

Cheers,

rcomeau

Old 06-06-2007, 07:19 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

GPSMAN1--- the car had a failed PCM, the PCM contains the codes for the keys and must be programed with the new PCM. So the initial failure was the PCM. I suspect allot of the no starts that have no codes will be the PCM in the end, especially cars with low miles. Electronics usually fail if they are going to fail early, once they "burn in" they usually go the distance.

Those who have only 1 key can purchase another at the dealer but it must be programed into the PCM and only Ford can do this. Assuming you have the key pass system. If you have it you will see a "Thieft" light blinking with the key out and the door open. Ford has had this system for about 10 years.

If these cars were aircraft they would have 3 PCMs and 2 would be required to "agree" before you could fly.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

Acutally, it is possible to reprogram a new key yourself, but here's the kicker - you have to have two keys that have been previously programmed to the car. Since most of us never have a need to get another key until one of the two we were already given has been lost, that's not a whole lot of use to most people.

I suppose to be proactive it'd probably be cheaper in the long run to go buy a third key, code it, and store it away somewhere than to have to pay the dealer to reprogram a lost key. But then how many of us ever think that far ahead?

Old 06-06-2007, 08:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chesterakl
Acutally, it is possible to reprogram a new key yourself, but here's the kicker - you have to have two keys that have been previously programmed to the car. Since most of us never have a need to get another key until one of the two we were already given has been lost, that's not a whole lot of use to most people.

I suppose to be proactive it'd probably be cheaper in the long run to go buy a third key, code it, and store it away somewhere than to have to pay the dealer to reprogram a lost key. But then how many of us ever think that far ahead?
I did.... but my dad is a parts manager for a Ford dealer and told me to get a third key for EXACTLY that reason.

It is a good idea, have the third one cut and programmed and then put it away somewhere. If you don't have the two keys its a pretty darn expensive fix to get a PATS system to start.

Quick Reply: No start

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands