Oil change interval for 2006 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 06:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil change interval for 2006 FEH

Originally Posted by TeeSter
. Farm equipment always had "hours" on their odometers.... If you think about it, cars should too.
That is one of my long time pet peeves - every piece of equipment should have an hour meter on it. Engine hours are a much better measure of time on an engine than miles. Take a truck that does nothing but plow snow in the winter - it won't have many miles on it but all that time running wide open in low gears will really add up some time on the engine.

By the way, I read somewhere that the recommended oil change interval on the FEH is 10k miles or 200 hours on the engine. Too bad they didn't build an hour meter into the display. Some of our company trucks (Suburbans) have a display for engine hours on the dash if you push enough buttons to find it - I haven't found one on the Escape yet. I'd be willing to bet the computer tracks it though.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thats a good point

If it is tracked I wonder if the "Scanguage" everyone is talking about can access it (or could be modified by firmware to do so).

Old 06-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Enthusiast

There are two rubber "O" rings, not two filters, service advisor only know how to write up paper work, they know nothing or little about actual technical stuff.

I suggest you change oil every 4000 to 5000 miles for synthetic blend oil such as the stock Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20, if you use pure synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec, change them every 6000 to 7000 miles.

Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec can go up to 10000 miles but I suggest you not to because it's hard to find sythetic filter replacement that can go up to 10000 miles for this car, I don't think any company makes it yet. NEVER USE those Fram filters at Wal-Mart, they SUCK!

If you really want to get the oil change interval to 10000 miles, you can buy a oil filter conversion kit from Mazda (Mazda built the 2.3L engine, Ford MOD it), the Mazda oil filter housing can hold Mobil 1 oil filter, but I think Ford will void your warranty.

I personally like to use Castrol Syntec, they are a little bit cheaper than Mobil 1 and used oil analysis came out to be very good after 7000 miles.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:37 PM
It is easy being green
Cool Re: Oil change interval for 2006 FEH

There are two rubber "O" rings, not two filters, service advisor only know how to write up paper work, they know nothing or little about actual technical stuff

Nightracerx, while the service advisers dont know the technical info and sometimes cant seem to get the paperwork right, i know for a fact that there is 2 "O" rings that go with the filter under that car hood, but then there is also one for the battery in the back cargo area behind a small panel. If you want to go take a look, you just need to pop off the panel with a flat head screwdriver of a butter knife. then there will be rectangular shaped cover with two "hook" laches on both ends, push them away from each other and take a look at the filter that separates that battery from the outside vent at the back window. it only needs to get changed every 15k or so.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:55 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Just to spell it out:

2 O Rings, both in the front.

2 Air Filters, one in the front, that you use, one in the back that the HV Battery uses.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

...and an optional add-on filter for the ventilation system (it doesn't come installed from the factory, but I find it was a worthwhile addition).

Old 06-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KermitCar

Nightracerx, while the service advisers dont know the technical info and sometimes cant seem to get the paperwork right, i know for a fact that there is 2 "O" rings that go with the filter under that car hood, but then there is also one for the battery in the back cargo area behind a small panel. If you want to go take a look, you just need to pop off the panel with a flat head screwdriver of a butter knife. then there will be rectangular shaped cover with two "hook" laches on both ends, push them away from each other and take a look at the filter that separates that battery from the outside vent at the back window. it only needs to get changed every 15k or so.

That's the air filter for the battery A/C, I was talking about oil filter.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:15 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by randykato
...and an optional add-on filter for the ventilation system (it doesn't come installed from the factory, but I find it was a worthwhile addition).

Definately get it, it helps a lot!