Outdoor temperature - wireless?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Outdoor temperature - wireless?

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Since I have a ScanGauge engine computer, it shows intake air temperature.
Since this is always fresh, moving air, I find this is always very accurate when the car is in motion. So the "other" gauge has become pointless.
I just use the engine intake air, and it is usually only +2 or +3 from actual.
Thanks, I didn't think of that. I'll try my SG for outside air temperature too. Great idea.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:44 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

IAT will be several degrees too high if you are standing still at a light, since the car is not sucking in much air at idle, and the engine heat ( and road heat ) heats up the intake tube.

But when moving even 25 MPH or more, it does really well.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have the acu-rite at my home with the remote sensor on my lanai in a shady area. It is pretty accurate for the price (about 12 bucks). The other nice feature of the acu-rite is you can have two displays with one sensor. So if you want to see the outside temp while in the kitchen and see the outside temp while in the bedroom, they both work off one sender. Batterys last about a month or two. They are the small aaa kind.

My 08FEH has the outside temp display and the compass. It seems a little high after the truck has been sitting in the sun. Where is the sensor located on the 08?

08FEH

Old 07-24-2007, 06:44 AM

For me, the IAT reading is always much higher than ambient, even at freeway speeds. The ambient temperature retrieved from my scanguage by sending the command 0146 is very accurate, but of course it is in C with a 40 offset. Makes me wonder where the FEH is getting it.....

Old 07-24-2007, 07:49 AM
Red face Re: Outdoor temperature - wireless?

Originally Posted by DesertDog
The ambient temperature retrieved from my scanguage by sending the command 0146 is very accurate, but of course it is in C with a 40 offset. Makes me wonder where the FEH is getting it.....
I've seen numerous references to "inferred" temperatures in the FEH shop manual. I'd have to look it up again to be sure but,....I believe cylinder head temp is measured and a lot of other temps were "inferred" from that.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by econoline
John, is this wireless thermometer still working out for you? I like this approach and thought I'd get one tomorrow at Lowes. I'm going to add a GPS mount also, so decided against one of the compass/temperature mirrors.

I recently installed this "budget" wireless temperature monitor. The remote fits very well in the rear bumper--you have to lay on your back-look upward and install this item horizontally in the bumper. The temperature (in my case) doesn't change as quick as I thought and it has been reading about 2 degrees warmer than similar monitors--in the daylight. A nighttime, it appears to be correct but the unit is not backlit so you need to shine a light on it to read it easier.

Attached Files
Old 08-05-2007, 01:39 PM

I have another possibility for a temperature sensor with backlight. See the file attachment.

Attached Files
Old 08-05-2007, 03:36 PM

Does that sensor plug into something ODB for the external temperature?
Or how does it get outside temperature?
I would mount it somewhere else and leave your existing buttons alone.

I think I'll just use my ScanGuage.
-John

Old 08-05-2007, 07:43 PM

This is a "hard-wired" (is that the name for a connection to the vehicle's power source?) connection with an wired probe that is put outside of the vehicle's interior. As seen in the file attachment, it also has a backlight so it is usable during the night.

I have a scangauge II myself. I prefer to keep the scangauge display on fuel efficiency and have a different item constantly displaying outdoor temperature. I feel this setup works best during the colder months of the year as a visual reminder of changing temperatures and possibilities of icing conditions.

I also posted this thread in an attempt to obtain possible feedback on how many "items" can be displayed in the upgraded scangauge--will the new scangauge allow outdoor temperature to be displayed along with the fuel efficiency values?

Old 08-05-2007, 08:18 PM

Right now, no. On the future SG, we hope so!

Originally Posted by Billyk

I also posted this thread in an attempt to obtain possible feedback on how many "items" can be displayed in the upgraded scangauge--will the new scangauge allow outdoor temperature to be displayed along with the fuel efficiency values?