Perimeter Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 08:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default Perimeter Alarm

We just purchased our 2005 FEH (Dark Shadow Grey) last week and are totally in love with it. We are thrilled with the fuel savings already, even with the air conditioning running almost constantly.

Our FEH didn't come with a permiter alarm, however, and the dealer's salesperson, (always our friend) told us it would be cheaper just to get one aftermarket rather than go to the dealer's aftermarket guy. I've contacted a few of the larger manufacturers and they are saying they aren't sure their alarms are compatible with the Ford hybrid system.

Can anyone recommend a reliable after-market perimeter alarm that is compatible? All of my other vehicles have had factory alarms so I'm not sure where to turn. I'm especially concerned after reading the thread on the FEH key chips.

Thanks for your help!
MissKitty

Old 05-31-2005, 10:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Perimeter Alarm

The FEH has an alarm which should go off whenever the Doors are opened without being unlocked by the remote (or the key). Leave a windows rolled down, lock the doors, then open a door using the inside handle. You should hear the alarm go off.

It is not the best alarm and the PATS issue concerns us all, but you should have an existing alarm.

Chris

Old 05-31-2005, 01:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Why not get a LowJack for $600 and forget having your alarm computer tell people to move away from the the vehicle? The built in alarm should work just fine for routine purposes. I can tell you the open door thing works fine ever since my kids set it off when I left them in the car while I went into the store. I wondered what the big smiles were all about when I got back. If some guy wants to steal my car, I am not about to confront him anyway, so the key chip and built in alarm should do the trick. The LowJack allows the cops to at least recover the car. They might even catch the perp.

Old 05-31-2005, 09:43 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah, hey, thanks for your replies. My husband found the alarm tonight so I guess my question was a little premature. I'm just glad my car is smarter than me.

Thanks again!
MissKitty

Old 06-01-2005, 07:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dknapp
the key chip and built in alarm should do the trick.
There is no key chip in the 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid. Despite appearances, that feature was not activated in the vehicle's software. If you need an extra key, a plain $1.50 copy will work. Do not pay the $100 or so for a programmed chip key copy.

There was a great deal of discussion about this on another forum. Ford finally conceded that the chip key feature is not activated on the '05 model. It is expcted to be activated on the '06. There are no plans to reprogram the '05s to make the chip key functional.

Old 06-20-2005, 05:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MissKitty
Our FEH didn't come with a permiter alarm
Was the perimeter alarm an option on the '05? I was told my '05 has it but now that I think about it, I have never noticed the "THEFT" light blinking like it does in the '06. I'll have to have my wife dig out the window sticker later because this will annoy me all day. So, if I don't have the perimeter alarm and the '05 doesn't have a key chip, exactly what anti-theft system is left? The door locks?

I'm confused.....

Ray

Old 06-20-2005, 06:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Let's try to keep these two confusing things separate.

There is the Permeter Alarm which is supposed to go off when someone breaks into your vehicle. This is standard 2005-06 and it does work. It does not involve the use of your key chip.

There is the Passive Anti-Theft System or PATS. It was thought to be standard in both 2005-06 models but according to Ford they have not been able to make the RFID Key chips work with the interference from the AC/DC Converter in 2005. They maintain it will take a substantial software and hardware refit. We, the owners, maintain that we should have a refit as soon as possible because we thought we were buying a PATS in 2005. We do know that it does work in the 2006 and there is a blinking light. The downside for the 05 is that any key ($1.49 from a hardware store) can get you into the FEH and start it and drive away. And there are still some dealers selling chip keys (that are unusable) for over $100.

Further confusing, apparently there are some dealers who have installed their own security system in the 2005 models on lots and they may have a blinking light. These are after market solutions that the dealer should disclose, and may make you pay extra for, and may or may not be under warranty, and may or may not interfere with the operation of the hybrids's other systems.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-20-2005, 06:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Okay, now I understand the difference between the perimeter alarm and the PATS. So, if I understand completely, the 2005 has no anti-theft system other than an audible alarm? Beautiful. Hope my insurance company doesn't find out about this or they might want their 20% back for the passive anti-theft system discount. Even worse, I hope the criminals don't find out about this because apparently an '05 Hybrid will be as easy to steal as cars were 20 years ago.....

Old 06-20-2005, 07:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

If I activate the built-in alarm with my key fob button, then open the door with a hardware store key (or my original key), will the alarm go off? If so, how do I stop it without the key fob button? On my old Subaru, I had to switch the ignition on/off 5 times rapidly. Will something like that do the trick in the Escape Hybrid? I only have whatever was standard in the car, no dealer add-on alarms, etc.

Old 06-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

I urge everyone that might have the urge to go off site and register your displeasure with Edmunds about the PATS Security issue to please please not drop your membership here with GH. This is an important issue of trust between us early buyers of Ford's new and pioneering hybrid. Those who are now buying the second edition have protection while we early brids do not because of the cost of retrofitting. I reprint below an email from Edmunds where they seem to say if we just say so they will press the issue with Ford they will alerrt the Mass media. I normally do not want you to go off-website to do a chore but I have spoken with, email to Ford Marketing, emailed to Mercury Marketing, and stressed out completely, and made no progress, so help me out with your numbers of protest. If the numbers fail I will agree to be happy with what i have been given.

Here is the reply from Edmunds:
Hi Mike,

If there's any way you can persuade other Escape Hybrid owners (in other forums) who have experienced the security problem to post in your discussion at Edmunds.com, that would be great. We had a lot of success getting the press to catch on to the Prius software problem - in fact, once we alerted the press to the activity in the Forums, we had more press requests about the issue than we could fulfill.

A lot of the "big" media come to Edmunds looking for people to share real-life experiences because we've got a large membership base, and a track record of providing Forums members as contacts for their stories. The more people we can get to share their experiences in your discussion, the more likely it is that it'll be picked up. If we get a few more posts about it, I'll alert our PR staff.

Thanks,
Kirstie_H
Roving Host
Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions
Forums, Edmunds.com | InsideLine.com

Mike

Quick Reply: Perimeter Alarm

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands