Pulse & Glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 09:33 AM
FEH Advocate
Default Re: Pulse & Glide

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
Depending on the situation, both. If I'm going to eventually stop, I take my foot off the pedal, and if I'm just trying to stay at MAX (on the MPG display) for as long as possible, I have a tiny bit of pressure on it.
There is a FEH test mode, that GPS Man from Yahoo FEH forum discovered in Ford Workshop Manual, where you can monitor the kilowatt usage in real time. I experimented with it last night and believe there is not a PCM software condition that puts FEH into "neutral" for a non-powered glide. Rather when one presses lightly on gas pedal during coast (speed under 40mph with ICE off), it is activating electric motor in EV mode just enough to prevent generator from slowing vehicle to charge battery. This test data readout is probably better than NAV animated diagram, since it reads out actual kilowatt value (+ usage, - charging).

The Prius pulse & glide demonstration for making MPG record probably proves the contention by many hybrid owners that getting up to speed with moderate acceleration, maintaining constant speed and predicting traffic lights to coast as much as possible is one of the most FE driving techniques. Come to think of it, this is probably true for standard vehicles as well (but can do better in hybrid when the ICE turns off).

I'll be interested to see what Ford will be teaching in their classes for FEH owners - anyone hear when they will start program (media announced it on June 15)?

-Dan

Last edited by Gillman; 08-12-2005 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Gillman]I'll be interested to see what Ford will be teaching in their classes for FEH owners [/QUOTE]

I'll be more interested to see what FEH owners will be teaching Ford in the classes. I'll bet the owners know more about the actual day to day operation of the Escapes than the people that will be teaching the classes.

Ford ought to be teaching the dealership folks about these cars. Most of the salesmen I have talked to about these are clueless. I'm sure that will change eventually though. I taught my salesmen a lot about the Escape Hybrid when I went back and picked up my second one.

Old 08-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by nitramjr

I'll be more interested to see what FEH owners will be teaching Ford in the classes. I'll bet the owners know more about the actual day to day operation of the Escapes than the people that will be teaching the classes.

Ford ought to be teaching the dealership folks about these cars. Most of the salesmen I have talked to about these are clueless. I'm sure that will change eventually though. I taught my salesmen a lot about the Escape Hybrid when I went back and picked up my second one.

No kidding. When I got mine, not only did I know more in general, but I even knew which options there were and which ones couldn't be mixed, like the A/N system and the Mach 5.

The salesman even admitted that I knew a lot more than he did about both hybrids and the Escape Hybrid.

Old 08-12-2005, 02:33 PM
FEH Advocate

Originally Posted by nitramjr
The media announcement of Ford FEH Fuel Economy School implied it would be a program by Ford Corp, not the franchise dealers. Quote:
..."drivers come with their Escape Hybrids to a predetermined place, where vehicles receive a cursory check and where owners drive a prescribed route in their normal style. They receive feedback, including the kind of mileage they accrued and how they might drive more efficiently. After the debriefing, they drive the route again, using Ford's helpful driving techniques."

Old 08-12-2005, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gillman
They receive feedback, including the kind of mileage they accrued and how they might drive more efficiently. After the debriefing, they drive the route again, using Ford's helpful driving techniques."
At the risk of beating a dead horse AND sounding completely cynical, I can't imagine Ford having anything to tell me that would help me improve FE.

BUT - if they have one in my area and I am able, I will go. If they can improve my mileage, not only will I eat my words, I will be extremely thrilled. There is no such thing as too much knowledge and any improvement is better.

Maybe drag the wife along too - she sure as heck won't listen to me.....

Last edited by nitramjr; 08-12-2005 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:58 PM

They probably don't have any (or much) new info for people who hang out here, but for the general public, unaware of the factors that affect FE, I'm sure they will have plenty of useful tips (just like we do)...