Scangauge For The FEH

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 01:45 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Scangauge-fun-useful-move from car to car

The Scangauge is a fun instrument.I move it from car to car(Titan-Pilot-Prizm).It also helped me figure out why my 4400 lb V-6 Pilot was getting the same city mpg(12-13) as my 4800 lb V-8 Titan.My wife and son are the main Pilot drivers;they don't drive "hard", but their right foot is always on one pedal or another(never just on the floor gliding).I strapped on the scangauge and ran the same routes with the Titan(12.9 mpg) and Pilot(15.6mpg).Of course since it is my wife ,I really can't do much about it;I'm a bad enough backseat driver as it is-don'y need to end in divorce court.
I find the GPH,MPH and the RPMs are the functions I eyeball the most.It is hard to get a precise reading from analog tachs and speedos;the scangauge gives a digital readout.I try to find a sweet spot with the GPH reading.It is amazing just how much gas flow increases (Titan)with mild acceleration(from .6gph at idle to 3gph with light pedal pressure).I am sure I would get readings over 10 gph if I floored it-maybe 20 gph.I'll give it a try sometime.
Best $129 I ever spent on a car gadget.Thanks.Charlie

Last edited by lars-ss; 12-22-2005 at 01:47 PM. Reason: not a SCAN-GU-AGE but a SCANGAUGE
Old 12-25-2005, 04:40 PM
Technology Enthusiast
Default Re: Scangauge For The FEH

Originally Posted by Wbruff
I downloaded the manual here. It does have a position for hybrid vehicles. I will order one and give it a test on my '05 FEH. Thanks for the heads up on a new geek gadget. I love this forum.
The Scangauge has arrived and installed. Installation was a breeze. What a cool tool. Played around with it a little today and am impressed. Now if I could just find a good place to mount it.... Right now it is located on the floor console just in front of the shift lever. I did not want to put it on the dash for theft deterence.

Old 12-25-2005, 05:46 PM

Still waiting on mine Bill, got my order in a little late hoping to here some details first. You must be the first FEH owner to have one of the first scangauge for Hybrids. You lucky dog! Please post about it as a hybrid owner would benefit. This is the best forum because of people like you.

Xcel, glad you talk to Ron and gave the facts to this forum as you are over my head in this area. At least I tried to get your point about the Scangauge out in the open. Thank you very much from all on us!

GaryG

Old 12-26-2005, 03:55 PM
Technology Enthusiast

Ok, Here is the scoop on the ScanGauge. It arrived on Saturday only 2 days after the order went in. Today was the first trip going to work. The installation was as simple as plugging it in to the OBDII connector, locating a suitable place to mount it and then going to the setup menu and inputting the size of the fuel tank and what type of fuel. There are 3 choices for the fuel, Gasoline, Diesel, and Hybrid. The gauge itself is pretty easy to use, when you turn it on just select the home button to access the menu. The upper right button selects the gauge display. It then shows 4 gauges of your choice from a selection of many. These are instantanious gauges (realtime). Also from the main menu you can select the trip menu. This trip menu will show you different items such as this trip, Yesterdays trips, Since fillup, and current since you started the engine. It will also give you miles until empty, fuel used on this trip, fuel used since fillup etc. I really am enjoying it and looking forward to tweaking my driving to become a hypermiler once it warms up a bit.

Old 12-26-2005, 05:04 PM

My wish is it would give the battery level to those that don't have the nav sys. EV is the great Ford benifit IMHO to get the best mpg. Thanks for your post Bill and keep us informed!

GaryG

Old 12-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Technology Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
My wish is it would give the battery level to those that don't have the nav sys. EV is the great Ford benifit IMHO to get the best mpg. Thanks for your post Bill and keep us informed!

GaryG
The only battery that I see monitored is the 12volt one. I'm sure the info is there on the OBD it just doesn't have it programmed in the ScanGauge (YET)

Old 12-26-2005, 05:40 PM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast
Question Re: Scangauge For The FEH

Bill and Gary –

Just wondering (beside having a new toy) what/how do the both of you plan on using the info from the Scanguage?

Gary since you already have yours and installed what data have you found the most helpful in FE?

Old 12-26-2005, 05:52 PM
Technology Enthusiast

Actually Gary has his on order and I have mine. Just had it for a day of use. I plan on using it to help me with my overall FE. It also adds gauges that ford did not put on the dash. There is one for the coolant temp, air intake temp (when moving should be close to outside air temp) Engine loading is reported, GPH etc. Read the manual here. It will also read the trouble codes and allow you to clear them if deemed necessary.

Edit to include this: The most useful one might be the instant mpg since the gauge that the non NAV 2005 vehicle only has a bar graph. You can adjust the refresh on this one so that you can make sense of the readout, found that coasting in neutral going down hill with a full battery had a better reading than coasting in gear. Not sure if that is a good way to drive but what the heck maybe we will come up with a plethera of new tricks...

Last edited by Wbruff; 12-26-2005 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:04 AM
Contributor ($)

Don't forget the scangauge can read and clear error codes.
Saves a trip to the dealer for resetting.

Old 12-27-2005, 10:35 AM
Technology Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wbruff
From above......It will also read the trouble codes and allow you to clear them if deemed necessary.

Originally Posted by ericbecky
Don't forget the scangauge can read and clear error codes.
Saves a trip to the dealer for resetting.
Yup, said that however you do not want to clear it unless youo have repaired the problem

Quick Reply: Scangauge For The FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands